Florida Weather

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Florida Weather

#13921 Postby psyclone » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:44 pm

that 8-14 day outlook is unnerving. it shows 70% anoms down to central florida...the great lakes max out only one category higher at 80. That's probably one of the worst 8-14 days (for those that fear freezes) in a long time. No comfort there. not even close. more like alarm bells.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13922 Postby gatorcane » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:55 pm

Gulp :eek: GFS trend to Euro?

0 likes   

MetroMike
Category 3
Category 3

#13923 Postby MetroMike » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:07 pm

I will not get concerned until this forecast comes into the shorter range.
Wonder how much climatology plays into the models predictions?
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13924 Postby SFLcane » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:15 pm

18z Gfs with freezing temps to near broward... :eek:
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13925 Postby psyclone » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:19 pm

Good thing this is far out. we've got lots of time for more sane solutions to appear.
1 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13926 Postby gatorcane » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:21 pm

SFLcane wrote:18z Gfs with freezing temps to near broward... :eek:

A closer look...interesting how there is some 25-30 degree temp difference beteeen South and North Florida. Obviously details don’t mean much this far out but might the core of the cold just miss South Florida?

0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13927 Postby SFLcane » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:46 pm

gatorcane wrote:
SFLcane wrote:18z Gfs with freezing temps to near broward... :eek:

A closer look...interesting how there is some 25-30 degree temp difference beteeen South and North Florida. Obviously details don’t mean much this far out but might the core of the cold just miss South Florida?

https://i.postimg.cc/XqXZC0tf/gfs-T2m-seus-44.png

Nope at fantasy 300hr freezing is south of the lake.
0 likes   

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#13928 Postby boca » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:02 pm

Very rare to see temps below 45 here along SE Florida and I don’t see that happening until it’s within 3 days.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#13929 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:17 am

boca wrote:Very rare to see temps below 45 here along SE Florida and I don’t see that happening until it’s within 3 days.

And just that fast the 00z GFS completely drops it.
2 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#13930 Postby boca » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:28 am

TheStormExpert wrote:
boca wrote:Very rare to see temps below 45 here along SE Florida and I don’t see that happening until it’s within 3 days.

And just that fast the 00z GFS completely drops it.

I’m going to have 4 days of winter I’m going to New York on the 24th hopefully seeing snow or flurries. Than coming back to 50s at night and 70s during the day. The NAO is not going negative so these model predictions are just a grain of salt.
1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13931 Postby NDG » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:24 am

Let me remind everyone that the GFS past its 5 day range and the Euro past its 6-7 day range is mainly for entertainment purposes only when they show an extreme solution like yesterday's 12z Euro and GFS's 18z run.
Don't forget that they were both showing 20s all the way down to Lake O for Monday morning on its 5-10 day range.
Not saying that it could not happen but use it with a caution on that range because chances of not coming to fruition are higher than in their shorter term 8-)
Last edited by NDG on Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13932 Postby northjaxpro » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:36 am

I do not want to lose sight on potential heavy weather up here late tonight with the approach of the strong cold front, which will be coming through Northeast Florida between 11 p.m. - 3 a.m. tomorrow morning.

Models showing potential of possible severe thunderstorms up across Georgia and a line of storms developing along and just ahead of the frontal boundary. It is definitely something I will be closely monitoring late tonight.

Also, still on track for the colder, inland locales across North and Northeast Florida seeing a light freeze on Monday morning with temps expected to drop in the lower 30s in most areas.

There will be plenty of time to talk about the extended range arctic air outbreak potential. a bit later...
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13933 Postby NDG » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:03 am

No wonder the 18z GFS was so extremely cold for the entire eastern US, it shows the PV currently over the northern Hudson Bay dropping down to the Great Lakes!!
That's very rare to see.

0 likes   

HURRICANELONNY
Category 5
Category 5

#13934 Postby HURRICANELONNY » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:14 am

You ain't lying about looking past 5 days on models NDG. The kickoff forecasted around 0 on kickoff for KC/NE game Sunday. Now it's going to be in the 20's. :lol:
0 likes   
hurricanelonny

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13935 Postby northjaxpro » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:27 am

NDG wrote:No wonder the 18z GFS was so extremely cold for the entire eastern US, it shows the PV currently over the northern Hudson Bay dropping down to the Great Lakes!!
That's very rare to see.

https://i.imgur.com/xkbpW0v.png

It is NDG. It is extremely rare. Actually the 18Z GFS run from yesterday was actually playing catch-up to the 12Z EURO which initially showed the PV displaced much farther southward. We discussed it yesterdsy.

We still have a quite a bit of time left about this, and we just need to wait for run to run consistency from the models about the extended range. I hope by at least Tuesday of next week, we should have a bit clearer picture from our reliable models about this arctic potential.

More later......
1 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13936 Postby NDG » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:46 am

northjaxpro wrote:
NDG wrote:No wonder the 18z GFS was so extremely cold for the entire eastern US, it shows the PV currently over the northern Hudson Bay dropping down to the Great Lakes!!
That's very rare to see.

It is NDG. It is extremely rare. Actually the 18Z GFS run from yesterday was actually playing catch-up to the 12Z EURO which initially showed the PV displaced much farther southward. We discussed it yesterdsy.

We still have a auite a bit of time to go about this, and we just need to wait out looking for consistency from the models about the extended range. I hope by at least Tuesday of next week, we should have a bit clearer picture from our reliable models about this arctic potential.

More later......

I tell you what if the NAO & AO go way negative over the next couple of weeks the displaced piece of PV over Hudson Bay moving down into the US could really happen, very important to watch over the next few days.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13937 Postby northjaxpro » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:54 am

NDG wrote:
northjaxpro wrote:
That's very rare to see.

We still have a auite a bit of time to go about this, and we just need to wait out looking for consistency from the models about the extended range. I hope by at least Tuesday of next week, we should have a bit clearer picture from our reliable models about this arctic potential.

More later......

I tell you what if the NAO & AO go way negative over the next couple of weeks the displaced piece of PV over Hudson Bay moving down into the US could really happen, very important to watch over the next few days.

Yes sir indeed. It always is about the Polar Vortex in these very anomalous, massive large scaled patterns like this evolving one now.This is what I am really focusing on as well. The PV placement, if the EURO and GFS solutions hold up over the next few days, well, the potential of serious cold in this region reallycould get insane folks.

I don't want to get too far ahead right now. Again, looking for continued run to run consistency next few days...
1 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#13938 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:33 am

That's very rare to see.

It’s also why during hurricane season it’s called the “Happy Hour” GFS run. :lol:
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13939 Postby NDG » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:36 pm

northjaxpro wrote:
NDG wrote:
northjaxpro wrote:

More later......

Yes sir indeed. It always is about the Polar Vortex in these very anomalous, massive large scaled patterns like this evolving one now.This is what I am really focusing on as well. The PV placement, if the EURO and GFS solutions hold up over the next few days, well, the potential of serious cold in this region reallycould get insane folks.

I don't want to get too far ahead right now. Again, looking for continued run to run consistency next few days...

I was going back to when the models were showing 20s come down to Lake O for this Monday and Tuesday, the reason I think they were showing this was because they were forecasting the PNA to go positive but instead it has stayed near neutral this weekend, now the models again show the PNA to go positive, we shall see.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13940 Postby northjaxpro » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:41 pm

:uarrow: Eventually, teleconnections are headed for + PNA , - AO and - NAO by the end of January.
1 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”