Florida Weather

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Florida Weather

#14481 Postby psyclone » Mon May 06, 2019 6:02 pm

Weak tornadoes were confirmed in Marion and Pinellas counties
0 likes   

arekkusu
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#14482 Postby arekkusu » Mon May 06, 2019 11:33 pm

:double:
psyclone wrote:Weak tornadoes were confirmed in Marion and Pinellas counties

Wow, I'm surprised, seeing NWS Jacksonville never issued any tornado warnings for Marion County. I remember one of the SVRs for Marion County mentioned significant rotation, but I figured that it never materialized since no further warnings were issued.

There was also another instance where a funnel cloud was spotted there (they were under a regular severe thunderstorm warning at the time) and nothing was said officially about it until the report was finally "released" a few hours after the fact.

Maybe it has something to do with how far Marion County is from the Jacksonville / Moody AFB radars? It's funny how the closest WFO to Marion County is in Jacksonville, which is still like two hours away. Edit - Looks like that's exactly what happened: https://www.wftv.com/weather/ef-1-tornado-touched-down-near-ocala-undetected-due-to-radar-hole-/946737023
0 likes   

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#14483 Postby Patrick99 » Tue May 07, 2019 11:58 am

Heavy showers starting pretty early over southern Dade county today. I bet there is going to be another round later as the west coast seabreeze propagates across the state.
0 likes   

arekkusu
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#14484 Postby arekkusu » Tue May 07, 2019 10:05 pm

The Area Forecast Discussion from Jacksonville issued this afternoon makes it seem as if a lot is going to be happening this weekend into Monday. Until then, though, things should stay dry up here, or at least are expected to stay as such.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#14485 Postby TheStormExpert » Wed May 08, 2019 1:37 pm

The South Florida Rainy Season is in full swing per the latest NWS: Miami Discussion!

So, basically, a wet season type of pattern has set up and does
not look to substantially change for the entire forecast period,
with showers and thunderstorms possible each afternoon for most of
South Florida. the biggest variation may be location, followed by
coverage.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

arekkusu
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#14486 Postby arekkusu » Fri May 10, 2019 5:10 am

SPC has placed parts of the Jacksonville WFO's coverage area under marginal convective risk for both tomorrow and Sunday. Tomorrow, the risk doesn't seem to extend to any parts of Florida, but parts of north Florida near the I-75 corridor are included in the Sunday outlook. Also for the Sunday outlook, there's a slight risk area just above where NWS Jacksonville's coverage ends and where NWS Charleston's coverage ends.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14487 Postby northjaxpro » Fri May 10, 2019 7:49 am

Well, I am not shocked by what I saw on social media and news outlets down across Central Florida about the widespread lovebug swarms, especially along the Florida Turnpike. Reports I saw were that the plazas along the route are so full with traffic lines of people trying to clear their windshields to see due to the bug smearing.

They are saying this lovebug season is the worst seen down that way in years. I have seen some up here across the Northeast Florida region, but not yet the massive swarms of them yet. (knocking on wood)

We have 4 seasons in our beautiful peninsula each year: Pollen, Hurricane, Lovebug and Mosquitoes.

You can thank the very warm past six month period from November 1, 2018 - April 30, 2019 for the extreme lovebug problem, and I am certain the mosquitoes will be just as bad. This is why we need some winter freezes to help control these pests. Oh well, we are used to it of course. We definitely have the perks, which are immensely enjoyed being here living in the peninsula, but man, it is the ultimate pain in the rear end dealing with these mosquitoes and lovebugs!!! The lovebugs are the worst to clean off your car and the smell of them are just absolutely nauseating.

You just have to get a net or screen to place on the front if your vehicle to protect against that acidic fluid these bugs carry. They can absolutely mess up your paint on your car if they are not taken off as soon as possible. Best advice: Dry cloth clean the lovebugs and smear off the vehicle first, then wash off the car. This will do the best to protect the paint as much as possible.

OK. Just a tip to share with you all. Happy Friday and upcoming weekend! Some of our hottest temps of the early season is on the way by Sunday. Low to mid 90s are possible in Jax on Sunday. Uggh! I am not liking that!

We still have another 2 -3 more weeks dealing with the lovebugs, then we worry about them again in September.
2 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14488 Postby psyclone » Fri May 10, 2019 10:45 am

The lovebug crop is very heavy this year. I saw a white truck yesterday that was completely black from them. The Spring crop is always heavier than the Fall crop around here...but this spring is the heaviest I've observed in a number of years for sure. Interestingly enough, lovebugs provide a dose of seasonality to places where it otherwise lacks. Lovebugs tell us that the rainy season is beginning or ending and they don't view me as dinner so I accept them and their mess. Speaking of the rainy season...it really is trying to fire up early this year with purely seabreeze driven convection, especially over south florida. Late today and this evening we should see good coverage over the western peninsula from the bay area south with the action drifting eastward this weekend as the ridge axis sinks south. Very Summery for the mid part of May..
0 likes   

Taffy
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#14489 Postby Taffy » Fri May 10, 2019 11:50 pm

SW Florida rainy season has begun! 2 days back to back of afternoon sea breeze driven thunderstorms bring several inches of rain, down drafts and circulation. Love rainy season.
0 likes   
Taffy-SW Florida

arekkusu
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#14490 Postby arekkusu » Sun May 12, 2019 11:56 am

WWUS62 KJAX 121642
WCNJAX

WATCH COUNTY NOTIFICATION FOR WATCH 164
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE JACKSONVILLE FL
1242 PM EDT SUN MAY 12 2019

FLC047-GAC001-003-005-025-039-049-065-069-101-127-161-229-299-305-
130100-
/O.NEW.KJAX.SV.A.0164.190512T1642Z-190513T0100Z/

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS ISSUED SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH
164 IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 PM EDT THIS EVENING FOR THE FOLLOWING AREAS

IN FLORIDA THIS WATCH INCLUDES 1 COUNTY

IN NORTHERN FLORIDA

HAMILTON

IN GEORGIA THIS WATCH INCLUDES 14 COUNTIES

IN SOUTHEAST GEORGIA

APPLING ATKINSON BACON
BRANTLEY CAMDEN CHARLTON
CLINCH COFFEE ECHOLS
GLYNN JEFF DAVIS PIERCE
WARE WAYNE

THIS INCLUDES THE CITIES OF ALMA, ATKINSON, AXSON, BAXLEY,
BELMONT, BLACKSHEAR, COUNTRY CLUB ESTATE, DOCK JUNCTION,
DOCTORTOWN, DOUGLAS, DOVER BLUFF, DUNGENESS, FOLKSTON, GARDI,
GLYNN HAVEN, HAZLEHURST, HICKOX, HOBOKEN, HOMELAND, HOMERVILLE,
HORTENSE, JASPER, JEKYLL ISLAND, JENNINGS, JESUP, KINGSLAND,
NAHUNTA, NEEDHAM, NEEDMORE, NEW LACY, PEARSON, PINE GROVE,
PLANT HATCH, RACE POND, RAYBON, SEA ISLAND, ST. GEORGE,
ST. SIMONS, STATENVILLE, STEPHEN FOSTER STATE PARK, THALMANN,
WAYCROSS, WAYNESVILLE, WEST LAKE, WHITE SPRINGS, WILLACOOCHEE,
AND WINOKUR.

$$

AMZ450-130100-
/O.NEW.KJAX.SV.A.0164.190512T1642Z-190513T0100Z/

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS ISSUED SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH
164 IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 PM EDT THIS EVENING FOR THE FOLLOWING AREAS

THIS WATCH INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING ADJACENT COASTAL WATERS

COASTAL WATERS FROM ALTAMAHA SOUND TO FERNANDINA BEACH FL OUT
20 NM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forgive me for any grammatical / other errors; this just woke me up when it was relayed by a weather radio by my bed ten minutes ago and I'm still half dead. I am a bit surprised. I thought a SVA for at least some of inland southeast Georgia was likely, but I was not expecting it to extend as far as to any locations covered by my local NOAA WX station.

I wonder if this will be expanded to include any areas farther east into Florida. The thunderstorms associated with this watch look to be producing widespread severe winds over the panhandle, big bend, and southwest Georgia.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14491 Postby northjaxpro » Sun May 12, 2019 1:09 pm

Portions of Central Georgia along Interstate 16 and points east and south , including all of Southeast Georgia, to the coast, and down to the Florida-Georgia state line, are in the watch area. A small portion of North Florida is in the watch area at this time, which includes the Suwannee River Valley and Big Bend near Tallahassee. The watch also includes the Low Country of South Carolina the Severe Thunderstorm Watch through 9:00 tonight.

Jax metro area is just outside of the watch area, but it is close enough in which some possible strong to severe storms will be affecting the area later this afternoon into this evening.
1 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14492 Postby northjaxpro » Sun May 12, 2019 1:39 pm

A line of storms just moved through the Tallahassee area and more are firing across the region. Southeast Georgia area really under the gun late this afternoon for potential strong to severe storms. A few storms developing over the Jax metro area at this hour.
0 likes   

arekkusu
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#14493 Postby arekkusu » Sun May 12, 2019 2:42 pm

Widespread severe storms have begun over almost all of southeast Georgia ahead of the aforementioned line, which appears to have degraded a bit, but still looks to be producing strong wind gusts in the 34-40 kt range further west in Florida. Like northjaxpro said, a few strong storms have also popped up in Duval County and Nassau County in northeast Florida and are moving their way into the Atlantic. The southeast Georgia waters to Fernandina Beach in particular are under severe thunderstorm watch and might be in for a nasty surprise as the severe storms in southeast Georgia move into the Atlantic as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Also,

Marine Weather Statement
National Weather Service Jacksonville FL
344 PM EDT Sun May 12 2019

AMZ452-472-121954-
/O.CAN.KJAX.MA.W.0055.000000T0000Z-190512T2000Z/
344 PM EDT Sun May 12 2019

...THE SPECIAL MARINE WARNING IS CANCELLED...

The affected areas were...
Coastal waters from Fernandina Beach to St. Augustine FL out 20 NM...
Waters from Fernandina Beach to St. Augustine FL from 20 to 60 NM...

The thunderstorm has weakened and no longer poses a significant
threat to boaters.

4 minutes later...

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
Special Marine Warning
National Weather Service Jacksonville FL
348 PM EDT Sun May 12 2019

The National Weather Service in Jacksonville has issued a

* Special Marine Warning for...
Coastal waters from Fernandina Beach to St. Augustine FL out 20
NM...
Waters from Fernandina Beach to St. Augustine FL from 20 to 60
NM...

* Until 445 PM EDT.

...Okay?
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14494 Postby northjaxpro » Sun May 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Radar showing a healthy batch of storms across the Suwannee River Valley moving east. They will be approaching Lake City and the Gainesville areas within the hour. These storms could produce strong, straight line wind gusts and hail. These storms will probably affect the Jax metro area by 5:30 this afternoon.

There are also some very strong storms up in Southeast Georgia just north of Woodbine and these storms will be approaching the Brunswick and Saint Simons Island region within the next 30 -40 minutes. Also, a line of storms just moved off the coast of St.Johns and Flagler Counties just in the past 20 minutes or so.
0 likes   

arekkusu
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#14495 Postby arekkusu » Sun May 12, 2019 3:57 pm

northjaxpro wrote:Radar showing a healthy batch of storms across the Suwannee River Valley moving east. They will be approaching Lake City and the Gainesville areas within the hour. These storms could produce strong, straight line wind gusts and hail. These storms will probably affect the Jax metro area by 5:30 this afternoon.

There are also some very strong storms up in Southeast Georgia just north of Woodbine and these storms will be approaching the Brunswick and Saint Simons Island region within the next 30 -40 minutes. Also, a line of storms just moved off the coast of St.Johns and Flagler Counties just in the past 20 minutes or so.

Yup. A significant weather advisory has been issued in response to the aforementioned storms in the SRV for Columbia, Hamilton, and Suwannee. Hamilton County remains under the SVA until 9 P.M. The wind gusts seem to be capping at around 45 mph as of the last 45 minutes, but the storms still look healthy with no signs of weakening as they track east.
0 likes   

arekkusu
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#14496 Postby arekkusu » Mon May 13, 2019 12:46 am

The SVA was cancelled a few hours early at about 6:30 yesterday evening.

In other news, the marginal risk region for later today has been expanded to include all of the Jax metro area and some of southern Georgia. Curious to see how this plays out.
0 likes   

marionstorm
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#14497 Postby marionstorm » Mon May 13, 2019 9:11 am

Strong gusts and heavy rain east of Ocala.
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14498 Postby psyclone » Mon May 13, 2019 10:37 am

Classic heavy rain set up in central florida today as storms build on cold pool slowly propagating southward against the prevailing flow. SPC meso discussion indicates a severe thunderstorm watch is likely but the severe threat is probably secondary to heavy rain due to the training nature/configuration to the convection. Interesting day ahead for weather watching
0 likes   

arekkusu
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#14499 Postby arekkusu » Mon May 13, 2019 10:39 am

Storms are tracking east from the west-central portion of the state and are maturing nicely. Scattered strong thunderstorms have already popped up, especially near Marion County and Flagler County, and a lot of these are already moving towards the Atlantic. Flagler County already appears to be at risk of minor areal flooding; they've received 2 inches of rain and at least an inch more is expected.

A MCD was released this morning saying that a severe thunderstorm watch for portions of north and central Florida including and south of Marion County is likely. The SPC has placed the same area under slight convective risk for today.
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14500 Postby psyclone » Mon May 13, 2019 11:12 am

I notice the meso discussion for central florida has disappeared with no watch (thus far)...which seems like an appropriate call at this point. But the rain train remains intact from the nature coast over to the Daytona area. This should gradually slide into metro areas of central florida this afternoon with some degree of flood threat
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”