Florida Weather

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Florida Weather

#15761 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:15 pm

Patrick99, Dr. Sanjay Gupta on Dr. OZ show stressed that there is no scientific evidence that heat will stifle the virus. He is one of the most respected health officials in this country and I 100% respect him and what he is communicating to the public.
This is one of several myths about COVID-19 right now! I hope that this will be proven factual over time for all of our sakes of course, but, this is a myth for the time being,
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15762 Postby psyclone » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:32 pm

It does make perfect sense that higher relative humidity could reduce the airborne hazard of the virus...as droplets coughed or sneezed into the atmosphere would better maintain their water content and fall faster. Conversely a lower humidity environment would increase the virus reach potential as those droplets would quickly lose water weight and have a capability for longer travel. Full disclosure... I am not a professional in this field...Just a weather geek watching this scene with the rest of us...stay safe and healthy everyone
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15763 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:18 am

psyclone wrote:It does make perfect sense that higher relative humidity could reduce the airborne hazard of the virus...as droplets coughed or sneezed into the atmosphere would better maintain their water content and fall faster. Conversely a lower humidity environment would increase the virus reach potential as those droplets would quickly lose water weight and have a capability for longer travel. Full disclosure... I am not a professional in this field...Just a weather geek watching this scene with the rest of us...stay safe and healthy everyone

It theoretically may be possible for the heat and humidity to slow the spread of the virus, but the point I was making and the health experts are stressing is that there is no factual evidence yet to conclude that the heat and humidity will completely wipe away this deadly virus. This is one of the big myths of this virus from the very beginning. This is what has yet to be proven.

Be safe everyone! Wash your hands thoroughly and frequently as possible!! Please practice social distancing!! Please avoid large crowds or gatherings!! Just use common sense to slow the spread of COVID-19!
2 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15764 Postby psyclone » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:07 pm

Lots of mid 90's in the forecast over the interior peninsula this weekend. I can't recall heat this ferocious this early. At least dewpoints are in check and coastal areas will get relief when winds turn onshore. temps this warm with modest humidity = rapid crunchification and resultant surge in fire danger. I haven't had a single drop of rain in March so far..
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#15765 Postby TheStormExpert » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:38 pm

It looks like rain chances finally return for South Florida after this prolonged period of dry sunny pleasant weather next Tuesday and Wednesday ahead of a weak cool front which will lower our daytime and overnight temperatures to near normal for the beginning of April come next Thursday. Until then enjoy the mid-upper 80 degree weather and mostly sunny conditions. Of course all SE Florida beaches are closed thanks to the Coronavirus.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15766 Postby northjaxpro » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:28 am

Just to really magnify just how ridiculously hot it is right now: The low temperature was 70 degrees at the NWS Jax office This set a record for the warmest minimum low temperature for so so early in the season. The record high temperature for today's date is 90 degrees. The forecast max for today is 91 degrees. We will likely break another record in the same day later today!!!

The forecast for this weekend is just incredulous. We are expecting low to mid 90s Friďay - Sunday, especially the interior areas. :x Lord it is going to be a long, long hot brutal next 6-7 months ahead of us!!!
Last edited by northjaxpro on Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15767 Postby psyclone » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:36 am

The prospect of a return to more "normalish" conditions as we head for April is a big plus
0 likes   

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#15768 Postby floridasun78 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:37 pm

here in south fl we going be upper 80s untill next week look we more into late spring start of spring and beach here close and pool so cool bath and way cool down
0 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#15769 Postby Shell Mound » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:04 am

psyclone wrote:The prospect of a return to more "normalish" conditions as we head for April is a big plus

Actually, a cooler-than-average or even near-average spring, combined with lower humidity, would greatly facilitate the spread and persistence of COVID-19.
0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

HurricaneBelle
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15770 Postby HurricaneBelle » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:38 am

Bad enough we're stuck inside and there are no sports, now the weather in Florida has decided to become utterly boring as well.
0 likes   

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#15771 Postby boca » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:47 am

HurricaneBelle wrote:Bad enough we're stuck inside and there are no sports, now the weather in Florida has decided to become utterly boring as well.

I totally agree the weather is boring and we probably will stay dry.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#15772 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:21 pm

boca wrote:
HurricaneBelle wrote:Bad enough we're stuck inside and there are no sports, now the weather in Florida has decided to become utterly boring as well.

I totally agree the weather is boring and we probably will stay dry.

Yep there goes are rain chances for next Wednesday and Thursday! :roll:

I love this weather but with the beaches and pools being closed it’s kind of useless. Surely we could’ve used the rain next week.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15773 Postby psyclone » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:59 pm

Our prospects for a more sane pattern continue to reel in. Normal temps in April = supremely livable weather. Fitness fans and others looking to recharge outside have reason to applaud this upper level pattern change. An early season heatwave is more tolerable when an eventual end is in sight.
1 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#15774 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:37 pm

psyclone wrote:Our prospects for a more sane pattern continue to reel in. Normal temps in April = supremely livable weather. Fitness fans and others looking to recharge outside have reason to applaud this upper level pattern change. An early season heatwave is more tolerable when an eventual end is in sight.

The problem is there is no end in sight, unless you look way way out to late October or November at the earliest. Cold front season is over for at least the peninsula of Florida, can’t say the same for the panhandle. Now we just got to survive the warm and dry days of a typical Florida spring until the rainy season kicks off, hopefully sooner rather than later before we go into a statewide drought.
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15775 Postby psyclone » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:00 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
psyclone wrote:Our prospects for a more sane pattern continue to reel in. Normal temps in April = supremely livable weather. Fitness fans and others looking to recharge outside have reason to applaud this upper level pattern change. An early season heatwave is more tolerable when an eventual end is in sight.

The problem is there is no end in sight, unless you look way way out to late October or November at the earliest. Cold front season is over for at least the peninsula of Florida, can’t say the same for the panhandle. Now we just got to survive the warm and dry days of a typical Florida spring until the rainy season kicks off, hopefully sooner rather than later before we go into a statewide drought.

You have low 80's over low 60's visible late in your current nws point and click. Brief as it may be...it is more normal and vastly better than the recent past or present. April is probably one of the best months of the year...provided that we can actually get close to normal conditions. at this point...take any sliver of good news and roll with it.
1 likes   

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#15776 Postby boca » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:30 am

The NAO is going negative in April which is too late for us here, but maybe we might get rain this Wednesday. The rain chance is only 30% set for only that day. Enjoy the weather from inside your house and stay safe.I’m hopeful that we don’t not have to wait til June to get real rain not something that’s lasts only 10 minutes and over.
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15777 Postby psyclone » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:20 pm

Potent high pressure, low humidity and dry surface soils are creating a perfect set up for exceptional March heat over interior areas of the florida peninsula today with lots of mid 90's in the forecast. Brooksville is already 90 with plenty of heating remaining I expect to see some 94 and 95 degree temps. the very dry conditions allow for big temp swings with 30 degree spreads between highs and lows...a much bigger range than usual owing to our dry conditions. even if the afternoons are hot the evenings are very pleasant thanks to comfy dewpoints. It's warm...but far more tolerable thanks to those comfy dewpoints. In the meantime, a more seasonable airmass continues to reel in..something for all of us to look forward to
0 likes   

MetroMike
Category 3
Category 3

#15778 Postby MetroMike » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:51 pm

Florida does not need lower humidity at this point. Will only exacerbate the increasing fire danger in the state.
I would hate to see a scenario of a major wildfire with winds pushing smoke in an inversion situation over a major metro area.
Cannot imagine those with inheirant breathing problems along with the continued Covid 19 situation.
Hopefully this won't be an additional worry which we all don't need.
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15779 Postby psyclone » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:17 pm

I'm a little surprised our fire season hasn't been more active so far. It hasn't rained at all this month in my neighborhood. We're still coasting on the goodwill of decent winter rainfall. Meanwhile a return to seasonable temps is in the medium range now. Hopefully we can squeeze out a few showers during the transition. Really nice pattern incoming
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15780 Postby northjaxpro » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:36 pm

:uarrow: Well I hope you are right Psyclone. I have checked the short to medium range forecasts too!! Let me share this bit of news for you all out there. The temperature here at my home station this afternoon topped out at 93.7 degrees. It was 93 degrees at the NWS Jax office. This temperature not only shattered the record high for today's date, but it also became the hottest day ever recorded for the month of March in Jacksonville EVER! Let's see now, we have set all- time record max temperatures for December, January, February and now March. So the past four consecutive months now this has occured. This is just unprecedented!! Global warming is real folks!!

We will likely set another record high tomorrow with a forecast high of 93 tomorrow!! So for all you warm/hot weather lovers out there , I hope you are really full and happy with this overwhelming hot weather more suited for July than late March!! :x Uggh I am dreading this. It is going to be a very long brutal hot summer if today and this weekend serves has a solid harbinger.

Please Mother Nature take me out of this misery and not.only bring.us some more seasonable weather for this time of the year, but some much needed rainfall. It is bone dry here in Northeast Florida, and we have not had substantial rainfall in over 5 weeks!!

OK, I am done with my mini-rant for the time being!! Enjoy the remainder of the weekend and stay safe!! Practice social distancing and all the other safeguards to protect against COVID-19!!
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”