Florida Weather

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Florida Weather

#15021 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:46 am

gatorcane wrote:This cloud cover over Florida looks stubborn to burn off as I loop satellite imagery this morning. I am actually in the Orlando area this weekend and it certainly feels chilly and winter-like in Central Florida not to mention it looks gloomy. But it certainly puts us in the “holiday” spirit. NWS Melbourne did mention in the latest discussion models may have a bias in clearing the cloud cover. I do think we will finally see some sun breaking through the clouds here in Orlando this afternoon but a high of 66F could be at risk if this cloud cover persists.

The other thing is the NNW wind flow has pushed the cool and gloomy weather all the way down the peninsula and through far south Southern Florida where that region saw 50s for the first time in a long time so really not much warmer than Central Florida.

Yes, good post Gatorcane. Yeah the 997 mb Gale off the NC coast this morning has an expansive stratus deck on its backside and the strong cool air advection on the NNW flow is hindering the diurnal heating to quickly erode the cloud deck. The clearing that normally occurs with the passage of a upper trough axis has been offset across most of the peninsula up to current time just before noon. Eventually, drier air will win out and clearing will gradually take place from west to east the remainder of the day. Some areas won't clear until later this evening.

52.4 degrees currently with overcast conditions here at my locale, but observing visible satellite imagery, the sun is out bright and pretty just across the state line just north of me and the sun is out from Live Oak westward down I-10. It probably will be clearing here in Jax in the next couple of hours.

The clouds and brisk NNW are definitely helping in keeping it chilly with temps in the 50s across most of North Florida and even parts of Central Florida and the lower to mid 60s in South Florida as it is approaching noon at the time of this post.

Cool conditions will continue the next few days. Temps across inland North Florida locales may dip down into the upper 30s, by Tuesday morning, especially if the winds lay down to promote radiational cooling and possible frost formation in those areas. No freeze with this event though here.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15022 Postby chaser1 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:50 pm

Couldn't be happier with with this really brisk cool-down. Sure, we're not talking about frigid cold but my fireplace will be going again tonight for sure! Gotta admit, this transition from unusually warm to over-all chilly has been the sharpest Fall transition I particularly remember here in Central Florida for some time. It'll be a nice string of days before most of Florida will be jumping back into the low 80's again.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

HurricaneBelle
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15023 Postby HurricaneBelle » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:03 pm

I don't believe we've seen the sun in the Tampa Bay area since Wednesday
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15024 Postby psyclone » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:06 pm

Nothing like a couple of cloudy, cold, windy, gloomy days to make one appreciate our sunny climate. Looking forward to a return of sun and milder temps :D
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15025 Postby chaser1 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:26 pm

HurricaneBelle wrote:I don't believe we've seen the sun in the Tampa Bay area since Wednesday

Sweater weather for sure! Walking by the water over there must feel a bit like a day over in Seattle LOL. Yesterday, I walked outside in the early afternoon and the combination of mid 50's temps, northerly breeze and thick cloud deck and felt like I was immediately stepping out on some January day. By late afternoon the only change was that it was colder yet. So far today, it's not all that different. My take from looking at satellite is that the lower level strata-form clouds are stubbornly holding firm. Meanwhile it looks like there's increasing mid to upper level flow zipping in from the west and across the Gulf. While this is a bit less conducive for lower night-time temps, this certainly acts to hold down day time temps. I've gotten so used to having early season frontal passages result in seeing winds quickly veering from the N.E. and then east. Right now it looks like High pressure at the surface will simply be reinforced by a secondary surge of cool air from the northwest along with a further fall of mid level heights during the next few days. It's nice to see everyone here in Florida actually cool down for a few days.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15026 Postby chaser1 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:40 pm

psyclone wrote:Nothing like a couple of cloudy, cold, windy, gloomy days to make one appreciate our sunny climate. Looking forward to a return of sun and milder temps :D

Funny, I was just thinking that there's nothing like a couple cloudy, cold, windy, gloomy days....... to make one appreciate having a good deal more cloudy, cold, windy, gloomy days :lol: Not that I mind the sun on occasion but i'm in no hurry to revisit our 8 months of oppressive heat and humidity.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15027 Postby gatorcane » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:52 pm

What a stubborn cloud deck which is finally showing some signs of eroding on the northern and southern ends. Models certainly missed the fact the deck would not erode that quickly and as a result pretty much busted peninsula-wide on the temp forecast today (actuals colder than forecasted). Curiously the cloud deck has remained despite the area of low pressure being quite far from Florida as it heads NE.

0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15028 Postby chaser1 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:14 pm

gatorcane wrote:What a stubborn cloud deck which is finally showing some signs of eroding on the northern and southern ends. Models certainly missed the fact the deck would not erode that quickly and as a result pretty much busted peninsula-wide on the temp forecast today (actuals colder than forecasted). Curiously the cloud deck has remained despite the area of low pressure being quite far from Florida as it heads NE.

https://i.postimg.cc/FzH0WFtY/20193211741-GOES16-ABI-se-GEOCOLOR-1200x1200.jpg

It really is an odd phenomenon?! Can't say I really get it especially given that the strong low has moved well away?? Some kind of weird low to mid level inversion? Here in Longwood (just north of Orlando) it's 53° out! That's after "peaking out" at 54° about an hour ago. For sure the chilliest pair of November days that I can remember in recent years for my area.
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15029 Postby chaser1 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:21 pm

Crazy Florida weather?! While my high temp today will likely be 54°, I just noticed that it's presently 67 in Tallahassee under sunny skies.
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15030 Postby psyclone » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:40 pm

It's solar winter and it seems common for weather forecasts to overestimate the erosion of low level cloud decks...resulting in busted forecasts. our upper 60's highs and sun ended up as mid 50's and wall to wall clouds. oops. 3 days in a row of this and i'm going stir crazy... no wonder why I had to escape from the great lakes....feels and looks like Cleveland,,! normal in west central fl is upper 70's for highs and 60ish for lows. average is perfection and worth cheering on..
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15031 Postby gatorcane » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:57 am

Looking at temperatures across the state this morning, looks like we are seeing mostly uniform temps in the 50s for the entire peninsula, even for far southern Florida. Just shows when the wind is out just the right direction (NNW), how the impact from the Gulf Stream as far as any temperature modification is a non factor,.
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15032 Postby psyclone » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:10 pm

Oh sun how we missed you! Now we're in the sweet spot...finally..
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15033 Postby gatorcane » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:00 pm

Hints of a SE ridge returning in the 10+ day, interesting but if so back to above normal temps.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#15034 Postby TheStormExpert » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:54 am

gatorcane wrote:Hints of a SE ridge returning in the 10+ day, interesting but if so back to above normal temps.

Just as we turn the calendar into December too. Always seems to pop up around that time of year.:roll:
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15035 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:51 am

Latest teleconnections forecast: - PNA and the NAO is trending positive to start out December. So yeah, the pesky ole' SE Ridge will be back if the teleconnections forecast verify below.

0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15036 Postby psyclone » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:56 pm

Normal is starting to get cool as we head for December...so a southeast ridge should be greeted with delight if you like pleasantly warm temps (which...on this board is likely confined to...me!..lol). 3 cheers for normal to somewhat above normal temps!
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#15037 Postby TheStormExpert » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:17 pm

psyclone wrote:Normal is starting to get cool as we head for December...so a southeast ridge should be greeted with delight if you like pleasantly warm temps (which...on this board is likely confined to...me!..lol). 3 cheers for normal to somewhat above normal temps!

Down here in S. FL the SE Ridge in December typically means mid-upper 80’s for highs with balmy 70’s for lows. Nothing pleasant about that in my opinion.

Anyone else notice how the pattern almost always changes to warmer than average as we approach or enter the holiday season?
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15038 Postby psyclone » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:32 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
psyclone wrote:Normal is starting to get cool as we head for December...so a southeast ridge should be greeted with delight if you like pleasantly warm temps (which...on this board is likely confined to...me!..lol). 3 cheers for normal to somewhat above normal temps!

Down here in S. FL the SE Ridge in December typically means mid-upper 80’s for highs with balmy 70’s for lows. Nothing pleasant about that in my opinion.

Anyone else notice how the pattern almost always changes to warmer than average as we approach or enter the holiday season?

I'd be surprised if that sort of warmth returns for anyone anytime soon.
0 likes   

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#15039 Postby boca » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:43 pm

I like to have a few weeks of cool weather I’m not ready for the SE ridge to rear it’s ugly head.
2 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15040 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:38 pm

I have been a happy camper for the past several days now. We have had nice cool Autumn temperatures with morning lows in the 40s and highs mainly in the 60s, except for this past weekend in which cool NNW flow and overcast skies kept our max temps in the 50s. 8-) We also escaped getting the first freeze of the season this past week across North and Northeast Florida. The Panhandle region did however.

This will continue for the next few days as well here with mins in the mid-upper 40s interior locales and max temps near 70 by Thursday. Temps look to stay in the 70-75F range for max temps it appears into this weekend! Perfect Fall weather for the holiday season yours truly!! I am happy for has long as we don't see abnormal heat for this time of year (at least 85 degrees or more).

Hopefully, that is behind us here. However, remember, I only measured a total of only 4 days of freezing temps all fall and wnter season last year here, which is beyond crazy. Typically, we had averaged around 10-15 days of reaching at least 32F each fall and winter season, but that has not been the case since 2011, due to such a prolonged period of mild to warm winters across our region.

HÒWEVER, we have seen the heat anomalies the + NAO has brought here in recent years, including last Fall and Winter 2018/19, with record heat in November and December, and once again this past February 2019.

Please, Please, Mother Nature spare us a break from that nonsense this upcoming meteorological 2019-2020 Winter season!!!
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”