Florida Weather

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Florida Weather

#13061 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:53 am

It is 47 degrees at 6:50 a.m. A beautiful, crisp Autumn morning in Northeast Florida.It may drop another degree or so in the next hour. Definitely the coolest temp.of this season thus far measured here at my locale. Yesterday measured our first sub 70 degree daytime max of the season, only reaching 68 degrees.

Expecting mid 70s for a max today.

I have completely enjoyed the nice, cool, refreshing taste of Autumn air , albeit it will be short lived for the time being.

Rain may be coming by late this week ahead of the next shortwave moving towatd the peninsula.
1 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#13062 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:09 am

Not gonna lie it feels pleasant outside! Currently in the lower 60’s here in West Palm Beach. :sun:
2 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Taffy
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13063 Postby Taffy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:42 am

Beautiful morning in Lehigh Acres, SW Florida. 68* and breezy at 10:40 AM. I am in heaven. Doors open. Rain would be nice. Hope we get that later in the week. Getting dry.
0 likes   
Taffy-SW Florida

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13064 Postby psyclone » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:00 pm

first sub 60 low of the season around the bay area with 58 at tampa and 59 at st pete clearwater... right on schedule for late October. Feels so wonderful outside!
3 likes   

tpr1967
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13065 Postby tpr1967 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:16 pm

psyclone wrote:first sub 60 low of the season around the bay area with 58 at tampa and 59 at st pete clearwater... right on schedule for late October. Feels so wonderful outside!

I had 58 degrees at my place in Palmetto
0 likes   

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#13066 Postby Patrick99 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:12 am

It's been dry and mild in Miami. One thing interesting is that the winds after this particular frontal passage have actually been mild as well. We've been getting light northeasterly breezes during the daytime, then late at night they almost go slack and kinda back to a northerly direction.

Anyway, our lows are in the low 70s, it is just a drier 70 than usual. It's nowhere near enough to warrant turning the AC off for me. Looks like we are going to get a stalled front in a few days.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#13067 Postby TheStormExpert » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:34 am

Patrick99 wrote:It's been dry and mild in Miami. One thing interesting is that the winds after this particular frontal passage have actually been mild as well. We've been getting light northeasterly breezes during the daytime, then late at night they almost go slack and kinda back to a northerly direction.

Anyway, our lows are in the low 70s, it is just a drier 70 than usual. It's nowhere near enough to warrant turning the AC off for me. Looks like we are going to get a stalled front in a few days.

Yes we're getting a back-door front off the Atlantic which should keep winds coming out of the Northeasterly direction a little longer, no significant cooldown with this front like originally forecasted last week.

Meanwhile in the 8-10 day range the most recent two runs of the Euro has been showing a deep trough carving out across the Eastern third of the U.S., too soon to sound the hype alarm as the NAO is forecasted to trend back positive along with the PNA heading negative.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#13068 Postby boca » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:31 am

I’ve been wondering why the NAO is always positive and only goes to negative only once in awhile?
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13069 Postby NDG » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:00 am

boca wrote:I’ve been wondering why the NAO is always positive and only goes to negative only once in awhile?

Is been the regime for at least the last 3-4 years or so, which i s not unusual to have every few decades or so. I am thinking it should be changing later on this upcoming winter season. Though in the early 90s a +NAO regime lasted 5 years or so.
The last -NAO regime was during late '09-'13 or so.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13070 Postby NDG » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:06 am

A very warm start to November in central FL as thought, the only "cool" day will be on Saturday but quickly warming up by Sunday.

0 likes   

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#13071 Postby Patrick99 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:45 am

boca wrote:I’ve been wondering why the NAO is always positive and only goes to negative only once in awhile?

I think it does go negative regularly, we just tend not to notice because it often goes negative at the "wrong" time. No one in Florida notices or cares if it goes negative in May-July, or really any of the summer months, unless it's going to have a potential impact on a hurricane landfall or something.

I still remember the crazy weather of the first half of January, 2010. Not only was it so cold, we got freezing rain in South Florida. And then, the same year, we had about 3 straight weeks of way below normal temps in December. I'm not sure which NAO- event was crazier.....freezing rain in SFL is nuts, but then again so is 3 weeks of chill. Those were some of the very few times I've ever felt uncomfortably cold, in Miami - that's a fairly short list.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13072 Postby northjaxpro » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:52 am

:uarrow: I have discussed this, along with several others through the past several years on here, on how super lucky the Florida peninsula has been in avoiding the simultaneous trifecta of the -AO, -NAO and +PNA teleconnection. We have not had them all going at the same time in the meteorological winter since the 2009-10 season for the peninsula.

Our number will come up eventually and at some point we are going to pay back Mother Nature for this. So, count our blessings regarding this for sure.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#13073 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:44 pm

I too hope the NAO does go negative more during this upcoming winter season when compared to the last several years. Just not hoping for the record breaking cold we saw during all three winter months of 2010. I know most people live in FL for the warmth and humidity but we put up with that at least half of the year non-stop so a cooler than normal winter is a welcome sight IMO.
1 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#13074 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:46 pm

northjaxpro wrote::uarrow: I have discussed this, along with several others through the past several years on here, on how super lucky the Florida peninsula has been in avoiding the simultaneous trifecta of the -AO, -NAO and +PNA teleconnection. We have not had them all going at the same time in the meteorological winter since the 2009-10 season for the peninsula.

Our number will come up eventually and at some point we are going to pay back Mother Nature for this. So, count our blessings regarding this for sure.

The -AO I believe is not as important to bringing down the cool/cold air as the -NAO and +PNA is but it sure helps having all three align up if you want to see record breaking cold snaps.

Unfortunately that time will come again where we see a widespread statewide freeze a lot like in 2010, and when it does it may not be a one time occurrence. We've already seen two majors (one of which was POTENTIALLY a Cat.5) make landfall in FL after a nearly 12 year major hurricane hit drought, so everything comes in bunches it seems.
1 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13075 Postby northjaxpro » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:28 pm

:uarrow:
Having the trifecta all occuring at once totally ensures a very cold pattern and potential record cold for the peninsula as a whole, including. South Florida and even the Keys .A -AO is important in this context.

But. generally, -AO is not absolutely needed to bring major cold spells to the peninsula. But --NAO and +PNA are critically needed to occur for our part of the world to get some significamt chill!

Also, that teleconnection trifecta in the winter would likely is rare these days. We have not had that alignment in the winter since that 2009-10 season.
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13076 Postby psyclone » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:21 pm

Looks like tornado touchdowns strong enough to partially remove roofs in Pinellas, Pasco and Hernando counties. Perhaps the first Nino induced cold season svr episode. this line was really sassy.
2 likes   

MetroMike
Category 3
Category 3

#13077 Postby MetroMike » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:52 pm

psyclone wrote:Looks like tornado touchdowns strong enough to partially remove roofs in Pinellas, Pasco and Hernando counties. Perhaps the first Nino induced cold season svr episode. this line was really sassy.

This event totally caught me off guard this afternoon. Was at my office and heard the P.A. announcement saying Tornado Warning, take cover in the interior hallway.
It is a rare event for me to be so surprised by breaking events like this.
Possible that this may be telling of the pattern for the upcoming several months.
2 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13078 Postby psyclone » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:25 pm

MetroMike wrote:
psyclone wrote:Looks like tornado touchdowns strong enough to partially remove roofs in Pinellas, Pasco and Hernando counties. Perhaps the first Nino induced cold season svr episode. this line was really sassy.

This event totally caught me off guard this afternoon. Was at my office and heard the P.A. announcement saying Tornado Warning, take cover in the interior hallway.
It is a rare event for me to be so surprised by breaking events like this.
Possible that this may be telling of the pattern for the upcoming several months.

This was definitely an outperformer. No watch and only a marginal (5%) in the SPC outlook. And we end up with close to an outbreak type event. I was watching things escalate offshore and saw a number of decent rotations in the Gulf so I expected greater potential than was advertised but this exceeded my personal expectations. The last special marine warning issued before landfall was of the high end variety (svr winds in excess of 50kt verbiage). At that point I expected a severe thunderstorm warning...which came soon thereafter but not all of these tornado touchdowns. I think at one point there were 5 simultaneous tor warnings in close proximity and many of these will verify. This was a very respectable event. And of course as we know, northern and central florida tend have these events with greater frequency in Nino cold seasons.
2 likes   

Tampa Bay Hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#13079 Postby Tampa Bay Hurricane » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:17 pm

That was a heck of a line. There were 4 simultaneous tornado warnings and lots of severe thunderstorm warnings. 60 mph winds took down lots of branches across the area as well. Very reminiscent of the 2016 El Niño severe outbreaks and the 1998 El Niño severe events I experienced as a child.
1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13080 Postby NDG » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:40 am

The severity of the squall line was very surprising, was not expecting that. I had even watered my garden in the morning because the forecast was for the squall line to die out as it was to approach my area, the models did a horrible job on the forecast the day before, I am sure temps in the mid 80s ahead of the squall line helped the severe wx. There's going to be a lot more of these this winter.
Had winds gusts close to 60 mph in my neighborhood, with down branches everywhere
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”