Florida Weather

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Florida Weather

#14281 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:13 am

The good news with this incoming nor'easter beginning later this evening is that it will not be a prolonged event. The latest model guidance shows the strong mid/upper level shortwave axis, which will pivot across the Northeast Florida area, will move away from the coast by Thursday morning. Hopefully, this will keep any heavy rainfall potential and other potential coastal concerns at a minimum this week. We will see very strong winds at the coast on Wednesday with the tight pressure gradient in place, with gusts of 40-50 mph there likely.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14282 Postby psyclone » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:47 am

What an exceptional stretch of weather we've had lately. the low off the east coast will drag more cool and dry air down the peninsula and maintain pleasant temps and breezy conditions. Spring is my favorite season here and we are cashing in big time
1 likes   

HurricaneBelle
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14283 Postby HurricaneBelle » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:19 pm

psyclone wrote:What an exceptional stretch of weather we've had lately. the low off the east coast will drag more cool and dry air down the peninsula and maintain pleasant temps and breezy conditions. Spring is my favorite season here and we are cashing in big time

Amen. My power bill dropped $100 this month as neither the heat nor the A/C were used much.
2 likes   

jaxfladude
Category 5
Category 5

Re: RE: Re: Florida Weather

#14284 Postby jaxfladude » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:37 pm

HurricaneBelle wrote:
psyclone wrote:What an exceptional stretch of weather we've had lately. the low off the east coast will drag more cool and dry air down the peninsula and maintain pleasant temps and breezy conditions. Spring is my favorite season here and we are cashing in big time

Amen. My power bill dropped $100 this month as neither the heat nor the A/C were used much.
Bill down too for my house
2 likes   
Stay safe y'all

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14285 Postby psyclone » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:46 pm

I echo the above sentiments. It has been 9 shades of awesome. Last week my thermostat read 66 degrees in the morning. Downright coolish for my thin blood... I appreciated my hot coffee and oatmeal. And we've got more on the way. Make it count since we know a blanket of heat and humidity (and high power bills) is sneaking up on us..
1 likes   

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#14286 Postby Patrick99 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:37 am

Yesterday we had another quasi-rainy season pattern, with sunshine most of the day followed by some convective activity. This time, the west coast seabreeze was dominant.....I could easily see when and where the east coast seabreeze started to set up, it wasn't too far away from the coast. Radar showed a bit of rain just north of me. Radar showed some good looking storms in southern Palm Beach/north Broward, too.
0 likes   

HurricaneBelle
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14287 Postby HurricaneBelle » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:19 am

Wow! There was so much hail in Trenton (30M W of Gainesville) from the overnight storms that it had to be plowed.

https://twitter.com/GrantWTSP/status/1110874497215799296

1 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14288 Postby northjaxpro » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:45 am

There have been reports of wind gusts over 40 mph both at Mayport Naval Air Base and at the Jacksonville Beach Pier this past hour. I recorded a gust to 38 mph here at my home this past hour as well.

The strong mid/upper trough rapidly pushed through the Northeast Florida area the past 12 hours. Low pressure area currently in the NW Bahamas region. The tight northeast pressure wind gradient will continue up until this evening, then slacken as the Low pulls farther away out in the Atlantic.
1 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

arekkusu
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#14289 Postby arekkusu » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:11 am

Late, but wind advisories have been in effect since two days ago for all of the coastal counties and two that border coastal counties (Clay and Putnam).

As I've said before on this thread, I live in northeastern Clay County and commute to Gainesville 3 times a week. I take US-17 from my home to State Road 16 before I turn onto US-301 in Bradford County, and during the Clay County leg of the commute, I have to go through central/west-central Clay County (Camp Blanding/Penney Farms). I can safely say that the winds in those areas weren't as bad as those near my house, at least this morning.

Elsewhere in FL, Brevard County is under severe thunderstorm warning for a storm producing damaging winds and large hail, and the adjacent nearshore waters are under special marine warning (as I write this at 11:10 EST) for a storm that is "capable of producing waterspouts". I have no idea what's going on over there, but I didn't think any parts of the state were at risk of severe weather today, so I'm kind of surprised.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14290 Postby northjaxpro » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:17 am

Yeah Arekkuso, I knew the advisories were posted back on Monday evening. I was just posting the current reports out along the coast with the winds.

BTW, a very cold pocket of air aloft with the strong upper level shortwave moving across the region. This is the chief cause of the threat of severe storms across Brevard County currently. This is also the reason of that tremendous hail storm that happened in Trenton last night, which was mentioned above in a post as well on this page. We also have wind shear in the vicinity of Brevard County currently with the proximity of the Low Pressure area near the Space Coast and near the NW Bahamas region.
1 likes   

StormingB81
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14291 Postby StormingB81 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:04 am

I'm in Rockledge. Had golf ball size hail...was crazy
0 likes   

arekkusu
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#14292 Postby arekkusu » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:22 pm

Oh, no, northjaxpro, I get you. I was just posting that because I wasn't sure if anyone else had before and I hadn't really read many of the other posts.

I guess that other than the wind, I am relatively lucky in regards to this event. Storming881, I don't remember the last time I've had to deal with ANY hail other than maybe pea size, let alone golf ball size hail. But, hey, at least we don't have to deal with the softball/baseball size horrors that the plains states have to deal with.

I think that the next time we're at risk of any rain/thunderstorms up here is late Monday/early Tuesday, from what I've read. Any insight is appreciated.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14293 Postby northjaxpro » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:35 pm

:uarrow: It's all good Arekkuso! Yeah, it looks like the next shortwave system looks to potentially impact our area beginning on Monday. This could be another potential good rainmaker for the region.

This month overall has been a refreshingly cool month! We have had onshore flow, including now, for most of the month, keeping temps considerably below climo. Any day we hold off temps of near 85 degrees or above are joyous ones for me! Mother Nature certainly owed us this much after that ridiculously warm February. It looks like we will start April in a similar fashion! 8-)
1 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#14294 Postby TheStormExpert » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:33 pm

This “Sou’easter” has been crazy! :lol:
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#14295 Postby Patrick99 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:35 pm

We are currently seeing tropical storm-ish rain bands come through, accompanied by some 30mph gusts........pretty fun weather for late March, I'd say.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#14296 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:55 pm

StormingB81 wrote:I'm in Rockledge. Had golf ball size hail...was crazy

That’s quite a hail storm, especially for Florida! :eek:

Meanwhile while you guys up along the Space Coast were experiencing the unexpected severe weather we were dealing with pleasant conditions, quite the opposite.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14297 Postby northjaxpro » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:28 pm

Well, it looks like another significant shortwave disturbance and a cold front will bring wet and cool weather to North and Northeast Florida beginning Sunday night, and more cooler weather lasting into mid-week! Latest 18Z GFS showing the front stalling out across North Central Florida during the day Monday. GFS showing widespread overrunning rain is being shown to happen on Monday across the region. Low pressure will form along the stalled frontal boundary off the GA/SC coast by Tuesday morning. This would bring northeast winds back to the area Monday night into Tuesday.

GFS showing lows in the 40s on both Tuesday and Wednesday mornings and highs only in the upper 50s for Jax on Tuesday with the onshore flow and rain. These values would be very chilly for the first week in April if the 18Z GFS is right.
1 likes   

arekkusu
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#14298 Postby arekkusu » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:46 am

Well, it looks like we're in the full swing of things in terms of spring.

In addition to the above impending shortwave disturbance later on today, another cold front is expected to hit us on Friday, I believe.

According to the latest area forecast discussion, there might be enough instability and wind shear to warrant at least a little bit of hail and some strong winds with the activity later today. Curious to see how this plays out.

The majority of central/south Florida is also under marginal risk of severe weather on Tuesday, but this doesn't include anywhere covered by NWS Jacksonville (it's hard to tell, but it looks like St. Johns, Flagler, Putnam, and Marion are under general t-storm risk, as well as southeastern Clay County and southeastern Alachua County).
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14299 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:09 pm

The cold front is right on schedule. Currently, the front extends from just west of Tallahassee, then northeast through South Georgia, and farther to the SC upstate region. Showers and storms are beginning to perculate as daytime heating is ramping up. There is ample instability as well to cause a few strong storms later this afternoon as the front moves into the Northeast Florida area. Some storms may produce some hail. Temps at this hour in the western panhandle region are only in the lower 50s with rain behind the front.

GFS had a very good handle on the forecast with this incoming shortwave since last week, with widespread rain and much cooler temps on the way beginning tonight. A 1034 mb Polar High currently over the Central Plains is filtering in some rather chilly air down into portions of the Eastern U.S. The cold front will stall out across North Florida on early tomorrow morning. The warm, and moist southwest flow from the GOM will override the stalled front into the shallow cool air, which will subsequently cause a widespread rain event . It will be a very wet, raw and chilly day tomorrow with onshore flow as temps will remain only in the mid-upper 50s across the Jax metro area. The upper shortwave axis will move through the region by Tuesday afternoon, which should bring the rain to an end. Skies should be clearing by Tuesday evening, with lows in the mid-upper 40s here by Wednesday morning. I will gladly take this in the first few days of April, before the real heat and humidity sets in for good.
0 likes   

arekkusu
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#14300 Postby arekkusu » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:34 am

A strong thunderstorm passed just north of where I live yesterday through extreme north Clay County and parts of Duval County. I could hear thunder from my house. It wasn't severe enough to warrant any sort of warning, but a significant weather advisory was issued for that storm.

Right now, I am in Gainesville, and I gotta say that it's kinda miserable, but that might just be because I have to walk all the way across campus to get between classes.
Last edited by arekkusu on Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”