SOTM: February 2009 - Winner: Victorian Bushfires

Weather events from around the world plus Astronomy and Geology and other Natural events.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K

Storm of the Month: February 2009

Poll ended at Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:36 pm

Tropical Cyclone Gael
8%
Lone Grove Tornado
24%
New England Blizzard
4%
Great Britain Snowstorm
16%
Victorian Bushfires
48%

Total votes: 25

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

SOTM: February 2009 - Winner: Victorian Bushfires

#1 Postby HURAKAN » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:36 pm

It's the time to decide which storm or weather event was the "Storm of the Month." Your vote is crucial and we need it for this election to work. You have three days, or 72 hours, or 4,320 minutes, or 259,200 seconds, to vote.

Before the debate arises, although some of the bushfires that affected Victoria were not caused by Nature but by the hand of man, weather played the most crucial role in the spreading of the blazes. Dry conditions, high temperatures, and strong winds fueled the fires.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2 Postby CrazyC83 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:55 pm

Voted.
0 likes   

wyq614
Category 3
Category 3
Location: Beijing, China (Hometown: Qingdao, China, 36.06N 120.43E)

#3 Postby wyq614 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:17 pm

voted
0 likes   

Chacor
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Chacor » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:58 am

Because I simply do not consider the bushfires a storm, I've voted for the UK snow event.
0 likes   

Category 5
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#5 Postby Category 5 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:59 am

Chacor wrote:Because I simply do not consider the bushfires a storm, I've voted for the UK snow event.

I have to agree on this one, especially since several of them were arson.
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#6 Postby RL3AO » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:01 am

I agree with Chacor. That snowstorm shut down London for few days. They pretty much had to wait for it to melt.
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#7 Postby HURAKAN » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:14 am

Only a few hours left to vote. Hurry, make your vote count!!!
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#8 Postby HURAKAN » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:20 pm

0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#9 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:39 pm

First time that the winner came from Australia/Oceania, and the first time it is a non-precipitation event.
0 likes   

Ed Mahmoud

Re: SOTM: February 2009 - Winner: Victorian Bushfires

#10 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:11 am

So far, Hamish is my early choice for next month's March 2009 poll, so maybe Australia gets 'lucky'* and wins 2 in a row.

*(Not the kind of contest you'd want to win twice in a row...)
0 likes   

Rod Hagen
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: SOTM: February 2009 - Winner: Victorian Bushfires

#11 Postby Rod Hagen » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:34 am

It is pretty hard to imagine just how fast and hard this thing struck. With a hurricane you have some specific warnings. The beast itself travels at a slow speed and you can plot its likely direction over the next day or two, even if it can get capricious at times. The fires here on Feb 7 weren't like that.We did, indeed, have warnings that this was likely to be the worst fire day ever in our very bushfire prone state, but no-one knew where or when they would hit.

Late on the day I was getting calls from friends in St Andrews a few kilometres away worried about the fire's approach from what they thought was 20 kilometres away when it had already howled past them a couple of miles to the north of them killing some of their friends and mine.

The wind speeds generated by the fires were incredible. Over 200kph up the escarpments. Temperatures were insane. The fire front itself melted the mag wheels on cars, and fused ceramic pottery together at temps higher than those found in kilns. Over 1200ºC. The diesel and petrol fire pumps of many people trying to defend their houses failed because the oxygen simply got sucked and burnt out of the air around them.

Somehow, though the images of the aftermath bear more than a passing resemblance to those that you see after hurricanes.

You picked a worthy "winner". This was certainly a "perfect firestorm". I've lived in bushfire prone areas most of my 56 years of life, and seen planty of them, but I've never seen anything like this.

It is going to take a long, long time for the people of my little neck of the woods to get over this, despite exemplary aid and support from the community and the government. I'm in the middle of moving out of my little self contained "cottage" office in St Andrews, a hamlet where 22 people died, to let a family who lost their house make use of it for a few months. An elderly dutch photographer mate of mine is coming to terms with having lost a lifetimes worth of photos, negatives and antique cameras in Kinglake. He watched his own house burn down while sheltering with a hundred others at the local fire-station. Another friend of mine and his family survived in Kinglake West though they lost their house, but all of his local friends and neighbours , including his children's best mates, all were killed. He feels guilty about being alive himself.

Good to know people in other places have been thinking of us.

Rod (lives in Hurstbridge, office in St Andrews, friends all over Strathewen, Kinglake and St Andrews where much of the worst happened )

PS - Those who might not consider a bushfire a "storm" might want to consider the weather on the day. We had the highest temps ever experienced in Victoria, coupled with winds of up to a hundred kilometres an hour even where the fires weren't burning. We had the lowest humidity on record, after a month in which we had had the lowest rainfall ever recorded (less than one millimetre, compared to an average of around 50 mls). Yes, as one person notes, some of the fires may have involved arson, but the one that killed around 100 people near me wasn't. This was, indeed, weather at its most diabolical. As for its duration, we spent the next three weeks living with the fires on our doorsteps, without any rain, with the fires still burning near us, with the bush tinder dry, with new discoveries of bodies of dead friends all the time, with smoke, new outbreaks and fire warnings every day and with equally dire weather forecast, though thank goodness it never quite eventuated. Not much matches the destructive fury of a major hurricane, but these fires certainly did.
0 likes   

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

#12 Postby senorpepr » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:52 am

Rod,

Thanks for posting your story and these pictures. It's always interesting to hear the local story to these weather "beasts".
0 likes   

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#13 Postby JonathanBelles » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:55 am

Thank You for that story Rod!!!
0 likes   

Return to “Global Weather”