A real threat or is the sky falling?

Weather events from around the world plus Astronomy and Geology and other Natural events.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
tailgater
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

A real threat or is the sky falling?

#1 Postby tailgater » Sat May 16, 2009 1:38 pm

I put this here because sea level rises would effect coastal regions the greatest.

you can see the pics at AOL news.

Effect of Collapsed Ice Sheet RevisedBy RANDOLPH E. SCHMID, AP
posted: 1 DAY 15 HOURS AGOcomments: 2157filed under: Science NewsPrintShareText SizeAAAWASHINGTON (May 14) - The global sea level will only rise about 10 feet if the West Antarctic ice sheet collapses.
While that may not sound so great to residents of coastal cities like New York or Los Angeles, it's only about half the previously predicted rise.
Skip over this content
Shrinking Ice at Both PolesPeter Essick, Aurora / Getty Images9 photos If the West Antarctic ice sheet collapses, the global sea level will rise about 10 feet, researchers said in the May 15 edition of the journal Science. That's about half the rise that was previously predicted. Scientists say most of the increase would occur along the East and West Coasts of the U.S. Here, ice melts near Biscoe Island in Antarctica.(Note: Please disable your pop-up blocker)

Researchers led by Jonathan L. Bamber of the University of Bristol in Britain report their recalculation of the hazard in Friday's edition of the journal Science.
However, they add, the maximum increase is expected along the East and West Coasts of the United States, where the water could rise as much as 25 percent more than in other regions.
The West Antarctic Ice Sheet can be unstable and has long concerned researchers who fear it could collapse as a result of global warming.
Previous studies had estimated that failure of the ice sheet, causing it to slide into the ocean, would raise global seas levels by 5-to-6 meters, or 16-to-19 feet.
Skip over this content
High Water Risk in the U.S.Weiss and Overpeck, The University of Arizona10 photos Northeast: A map created by University of Arizona scientists in 2007, based on data from the U.S. Geological Survey, shows areas in the Northeast that would become flooded if the the sea were to rise one meter.
0 likes   

cpdaman
Category 5
Category 5

Re: A real threat or is the sky falling?

#2 Postby cpdaman » Sat May 16, 2009 1:44 pm

i'll play

well i was never big on either or choices

but if i must choose this is sky falling

politics combined with fear mongering playing on willful ignorance

In addition ...i also noted the article stated that if the ice sheet "collapses" and not melts.............the reason i point this out because i understand a lot of ice is UNDER the ocean's surface and should that melt.....(well we know as water freezes...it's volume expands) so that would be something that would work to lower the water level.....yes/no?

let me add this if global cooling causes large volume's of ocean water to freeze than the expansion of the water's volume will raise water levels and drown our cities..........lol could it happen ...........probably about the same chance.....
Last edited by cpdaman on Sat May 16, 2009 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#3 Postby cycloneye » Sat May 16, 2009 1:52 pm

tailgater,I will move the thread to Global Weather forum where its better to have this kind of theme.
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#4 Postby Dionne » Sat May 16, 2009 2:39 pm

I'll play also......

I had read that the ice shelf's are both expanding and decreasing on both poles. I know that villages in Alaska that I have worked at and visited are being threatened by advancing sea ice in the winter. Especially in the Bering Straight. There is also some news about the northwest passage finally being discovered......as the result of Canadian Arctic ice melt. (It's about time....we've been looking for the passage for a long time).

There is a bunch of info out there. Some researchers blatantly contradict fellow scientists. Heated arguments with various flow charts.........I suppose it depends on which side you have decided to follow$?

As I have mentioned before.....the Earth will survive. Specific species will not. We just got lucky being the first with the ability of abstract thought. Maybe?
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby MGC » Sat May 16, 2009 7:33 pm

If the ice is in the water already then sea level will not rise when it melts. Ice on land will make sea level rise if it melts.....MGC
0 likes   

Return to “Global Weather”