Summer Outlook for Canada

Weather events from around the world plus Astronomy and Geology and other Natural events.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
SaskatchewanScreamer

Summer Outlook for Canada

#1 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:25 pm

I'm hopeful that the milder temperatures that they are predicting for the prairies is true......and I hope that I'm not repeating a post that someone else has done already (posting below courtesy of the Weather Network).

Spring Recap
So far spring has been wetter than normal for most of the country; exceptions were in Southern Prairies and Alberta where normal precipitation was observed during the period.

Colder than normal conditions dominated across coastal BC, Alberta and the Prairies provinces at the beginning of the season, with a gradual come back to seasonal values in the Prairies and Alberta. Near to slightly above normal temperatures dominated across Ontario, Quebec and the Maritime provinces.

Summer Outlook
As the summer progresses, look for near normal temperatures in most BC regions. A strong blocking area of high pressure over Alaska will keep the polar jet stream riding to the north.

The jet stream pattern suggests cooler and wetter conditions for the north and central coast of BC. For the interior, generally dry conditions will favour an active summer season for forest fires.

On the lee side of the Rockies Mountains, most of Alberta will experience near normal temperatures, whereas the northern parts of the province will have above seasonal temperatures. Drier to near normal conditions will dominate the weather picture throughout the summer months.

Moving across the Prairies, we’ll see southern Saskatchewan and Manitoba tending to be slightly milder than normal. Expect below to near normal precipitation across the region (I think my area is in the normal to above normal range now re rain however west of here is still pretty dry).

Central portions of the country should continue to see mild temperatures. Expect above seasonal temperatures from northern into southern Ontario and Québec. The precipitation forecast is calling for higher than normal amounts from the lower Great Lakes region to the Maritimes.

Temperatures across the Maritime provinces and Newfoundland and Labrador will be near normal.
0 likes   

Ed Mahmoud

Re: Summer Outlook for Canada

#2 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:11 pm

Is Weather Network affiliated with EC?
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#3 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:12 pm

I have my doubts Ed.

Here's Environment Canada's prediction for this summer:

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/saisons/ ... img=spfe1t
0 likes   

TYNI
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby TYNI » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:59 pm

SaskatchewanScreamer wrote:I'm hopeful that the milder temperatures that they are predicting for the prairies is true......and I hope that I'm not repeating a post that someone else has done already (posting below courtesy of the Weather Network).

Spring Recap
So far spring has been wetter than normal for most of the country; exceptions were in Southern Prairies and Alberta where normal precipitation was observed during the period.

Colder than normal conditions dominated across coastal BC, Alberta and the Prairies provinces at the beginning of the season, with a gradual come back to seasonal values in the Prairies and Alberta. Near to slightly above normal temperatures dominated across Ontario, Quebec and the Maritime provinces.

Summer Outlook
As the summer progresses, look for near normal temperatures in most BC regions. A strong blocking area of high pressure over Alaska will keep the polar jet stream riding to the north.

The jet stream pattern suggests cooler and wetter conditions for the north and central coast of BC. For the interior, generally dry conditions will favour an active summer season for forest fires.

On the lee side of the Rockies Mountains, most of Alberta will experience near normal temperatures, whereas the northern parts of the province will have above seasonal temperatures. Drier to near normal conditions will dominate the weather picture throughout the summer months.

Moving across the Prairies, we’ll see southern Saskatchewan and Manitoba tending to be slightly milder than normal. Expect below to near normal precipitation across the region (I think my area is in the normal to above normal range now re rain however west of here is still pretty dry).

Central portions of the country should continue to see mild temperatures. Expect above seasonal temperatures from northern into southern Ontario and Québec. The precipitation forecast is calling for higher than normal amounts from the lower Great Lakes region to the Maritimes.

Temperatures across the Maritime provinces and Newfoundland and Labrador will be near normal.

Sask - I was hoping for a forecast more like - lots of sun - recommended emergency survival kit - lounge chair, sunblock, swimming pool, barbeque, coolers full of ice, and LOTS OF COLD BEER!

I'm working up in North Bay right now, could use a little more warmth, and a lot less blackflies...
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#5 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:25 pm

LOL TYN1 after reading your post I had to check to see if North Bay had moved further North than where I thought it was http://www.panoramio.com/map/#lt=46.313 ... &a=1&tab=1 but it hasn't.......I was so sure that the cooler temps (and those loverly blackflies) had to be located MUCH higher on the map. ;D

We should be in the eighties 8-) this weekend (I'll be tickled pink to try out the "lounge chair, sunblock, swimming pool, barbeque, coolers full of ice, and LOTS OF COLD BEER!" ) and you can have the spiked hot chocolate that's been keeping me defrosted (for the majority of this oh so miserable :roll: spring).

The thought of having a summer here that is more in the old prairie "normal" range of hot, without (hopefully) humidity, has me grinning from ear to ear......I REALLY don't envy the humidity that your poor folks in the East get.

We may sweat like pigs, er perspire :oops: , here but we do cool off!
0 likes   

TYNI
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#6 Postby TYNI » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:37 pm

SaskatchewanScreamer wrote:LOL TYN1 after reading your post I had to check to see if North Bay had moved further North than where I thought it was http://www.panoramio.com/map/#lt=46.313 ... &a=1&tab=1 but it hasn't.......I was so sure that the cooler temps (and those loverly blackflies) had to be located MUCH higher on the map. ;D

We should be in the eighties 8-) this weekend (I'll be tickled pink to try out the "lounge chair, sunblock, swimming pool, barbeque, coolers full of ice, and LOTS OF COLD BEER!" ) and you can have the spiked hot chocolate that's been keeping me defrosted (for the majority of this oh so miserable :roll: spring).

The thought of having a summer here that is more in the old prairie "normal" range of hot, without (hopefully) humidity, has me grinning from ear to ear......I REALLY don't envy the humidity that your poor folks in the East get.

We may sweat like pigs, er perspire :oops: , here but we do cool off!

Well, the weather here at home, Southern Ontario, is great! Your right, North Bay, isn't that far north, but seemed a lot cooler than here at home...
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#7 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:51 am

TYNI I have to admit I'm always surprised by the East.......here to be exposed to blackflies (and a large forest :wink: ) I'd have to drive at least 7 hours North (we do have Cypress Hills too but, in the scheme of things, it's pretty small). It looks like North Bay is situated in the tree line but is it in the Boreal forest?

A couple of summers ago my, son went with his Grade 11 class up to Versailles Lake http://www.panoramio.com/user/133037/ta ... les%20Lake and they had a wonderful time (except for those darn biting beasties). For southern prairie peeps that was about an 11 hour drive north.

BTW did you know that the blackflies, and the skeeters, are considered to be Canada's northern defense? :lol: I truly pity anyone stuck up there without a product containing lots of deet (it would be a miracle if they survived).
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#8 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:04 am

I should also mention that in a hot summer I love the coolness and moist air that the northern half of this province has. Moist air is very nice when the temperature is in the 70's.
0 likes   

TYNI
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby TYNI » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:15 pm

Blackflies are the reason people around here hate camping. I recall many a time, unhooking our trailer from the truck, and literally being driven insane by blackflies. They don't even have to bite, they just get in your face, and are relentless. I'll take skeeters any day, at least they are slow, and don't travel in packs of millions ! I've heard of moose crashing out of the woods onto a windy highway to get away from them.
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#10 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:09 pm

Those road hazards you have would keep a driver on his/her toes. I have only seen one moose near the highway here (they are back on the southern plains now.....silly fellows). He looked rather funny nibbling on the bush near a dugout (with open prairie all around that little oasis). I should say we do have lots of mulies and white tails however that make driving at night interesting but not totally terrifying.

I remember running into the blackflies up north but we usually went there in July or August when their numbers are less. Here their season tends to be more in May to June so my son and his classmates ran into clouds like you saw (they learned to put the skeeter spray on in the tent). One poor girl forgot to lift her hair and my son has a picture of her neck taken within a half hour of her leaving her tent (ouch!!!).

My sincere sympathies re camping and blackflies there.......come out west and try out our prairie parks (there are even mature trees, so the lakes in the valleys are pretty nice). Not as beautiful as the lakes there but you can leave your trailer/tent and not go out of your mind. My parents would haul out their trailer in May and we'd stay the whole summer (Dad would take us in to school and he'd go to work).

Found a picture of you enjoying your summer by the pool....... :layout:
0 likes   

tropicana
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby tropicana » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:21 am

last summer, i was down near Sherkston Shores, on the Northern shores of Lake Erie near Port Colborne... i remember as soon as we got out the car, we were literally swarmed by hundreds of mosquiotes... they were just waiting for the car to stop it seemed and they just flew all on you and around you and you literally had to run in order to escape the swarm.
ive also been to Rice Lake (near Peterborough) and had that experience with the black flies.

-justin-
0 likes   

TYNI
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#12 Postby TYNI » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:14 pm

SaskatchewanScreamer wrote:Those road hazards you have would keep a driver on his/her toes. I have only seen one moose near the highway here (they are back on the southern plains now.....silly fellows). He looked rather funny nibbling on the bush near a dugout (with open prairie all around that little oasis). I should say we do have lots of mulies and white tails however that make driving at night interesting but not totally terrifying.

I remember running into the blackflies up north but we usually went there in July or August when their numbers are less. Here their season tends to be more in May to June so my son and his classmates ran into clouds like you saw (they learned to put the skeeter spray on in the tent). One poor girl forgot to lift her hair and my son has a picture of her neck taken within a half hour of her leaving her tent (ouch!!!).

My sincere sympathies re camping and blackflies there.......come out west and try out our prairie parks (there are even mature trees, so the lakes in the valleys are pretty nice). Not as beautiful as the lakes there but you can leave your trailer/tent and not go out of your mind. My parents would haul out their trailer in May and we'd stay the whole summer (Dad would take us in to school and he'd go to work).

Found a picture of you enjoying your summer by the pool....... :layout:

LOL - Thanks for the pic!!!! I have been out west, through the Rockies in summer, and hardly noticed any mosquitos or black flies.
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#13 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:28 pm

Justin it sounds like you also have had some wonderbar experiences in our wilds. Must say my worst experience with skeeters was in the town of Battleford. That summer the Saskatoons were HUGE, like the larger blueberries, but the skeeters were camping out around the bushes with ALL their northern relatives....any spot of skin not covered with Deep Woods off had about 1,000 ready, willing and able to cover every mm of it. Eye lids, ear drums, lips, scalp and anywhere else was fair game. My Dad, who was eyeing every single berry (and never, ever quits until that day) only filled half the pails before waving a white flag (at a run).

LOL Oh sure be a typical Easterner :P TYNI and head straight to the mountains (I bet you flew over the prairies and rented a trailer once you got to Banff.....or one of the hundreds of other camping spots up there). It's funny that we now have a lot of Alberta people heading to SasKatchewan parks (mind you we have HUGE camping sites compared to our oil rich neighbour. I really dislike the sites in other provinces and states that have the campers/trailers/tents/homes on wheels sitting so close you can hear the people 4 sites away, and in a trailer, whispering. Like our endless plains this provinces' campgrounds tend to have lots of open space between each site.

I too can't remember any skeeters or blackflies in the mountains (but there sure are a lot more people than there used to be).
0 likes   

TYNI
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#14 Postby TYNI » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:35 pm

SaskatchewanScreamer wrote:Justin it sounds like you also have had some wonderbar experiences in our wilds. Must say my worst experience with skeeters was in the town of Battleford. That summer the Saskatoons were HUGE, like the larger blueberries, but the skeeters were camping out around the bushes with ALL their northern relatives....any spot of skin not covered with Deep Woods off had about 1,000 ready, willing and able to cover every mm of it. Eye lids, ear drums, lips, scalp and anywhere else was fair game. My Dad, who was eyeing every single berry (and never, ever quits until that day) only filled half the pails before waving a white flag (at a run).

LOL Oh sure be a typical Easterner :P TYNI and head straight to the mountains (I bet you flew over the prairies and rented a trailer once you got to Banff.....or one of the hundreds of other camping spots up there). It's funny that we now have a lot of Alberta people heading to SasKatchewan parks (mind you we have HUGE camping sites compared to our oil rich neighbour. I really dislike the sites in other provinces and states that have the campers/trailers/tents/homes on wheels sitting so close you can hear the people 4 sites away, and in a trailer, whispering. Like our endless plains this provinces' campgrounds tend to have lots of open space between each site.

I too can't remember any skeeters or blackflies in the mountains (but there sure are a lot more people than there used to be).

We elected to spend most of our time in Yoho and north of Jasper. We had 1 day in Banff and we hated it.

We would have driven through the prairies, however, time was a factor as we only had a limited number of days. I'm sure we'll be doing it soon! :D
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#15 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:04 am

:D You may regret saying that................ ;D

May I suggest (I picked campgrounds near the TransCanada---one near Manitoba, one in the center, and one just outside Alberta):

Moose Mountain: http://www.tpcs.gov.sk.ca/MooseMountain Fresh air, blue skies and bacon crackling in the skillet as the morning sun drives the shadows out of Fish Creek Campground. Wrap your hands around that warm cup of coffee, take a deep breath and savour the feeling of waking up to nature instead of work.

Moose Mountain, a refreshing experience, is an island of birch and ash nestled in the southeast corner of the province. You may be surprised by just how well-treed the campground is. Combine this with level sites, and easy access to service centres, firewood and more, and you may never want to go home.

Buffalo Pound (the pictures at the link unfortunately don't show the lovely campground):
Buffalo Pound Provincial Park is set in Nicolle Flats Nature Area and the Qu'Appelle Valley and is excellent place to experiencing nature and outdoor recreation. There is incredible scenery and unique opportunities to explore a wetland environment. Buffalo Pound is over 1930 hectares in size and is open year-round with outdoor activities available in all four seasons. They also have a herd of Buffalo.
Location: Just to the northwest of Regina above Moose Jaw in the Southwest Region of Saskatchewan. From Regina take 1 west to the 301 a few kilometres before Moose Jaw. Head north on the 301 15-20 minutes until you reach the bend, the park is on the right. From Saskatoon take the 11 south to the 2 south then pick up the 202 east. It is only twenty minutes from Moose Jaw and less than an hour from Regina. http://www.out-there.com/buffalo.htm

These ones are my absolute faves however (they surprise everyone given that they are in the southern section below the #1):

Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park (located near the Alberta border on the #1)is a unique patch in the colorful quilt of outdoor experience that is the Saskatchewan parks system.

Rising 600 metres (1,950 feet) above the surrounding ranch land, the Cypress Hills are the highest point of land between Labrador and the Rockies. The majestic lodgepole pines crowning the hills and the lower-lying aspen stands are home to elk, pronghorn antelope, white-tailed deer, fox, coyote and bobcat. Signs posted in the campgrounds warn visitors about getting too close to normally-timid moose, many of which have lost their fear of humans and are regularly seen browsing near roads and campgrounds.

Cypress Hills has always been a lush retreat, rich in wildlife. For at least 7,000 years, nomadic Plains Indians wintered here because the hills were an excellent source of food, fuel, furs and building materials – lodgepole pines made excellent travois, teepee poles and, as their name implies, lodges. An additional attraction for the Indians was the Chinook breeze from the west, which made for a much milder winter than the one experienced on the Great Plains below.
http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q= ... 4&ct=title

http://www.virtualsk.com/current_issue/ ... egacy.html

"I also discovered a very nice little restaurant in Maple Creek of all places. Nothing against Maple Creek but it's pretty small and not where you'd expect to find a classy restaurant. When I drove by I noticed the white table cloths and wine glasses and figured it was worth checking out. It's called The Star Cafe and Grill. The chef has recently moved here from Rome (yes, Italy). You have to wonder why anyone would move from Rome to Maple Creek, but I'm certainly not complaining. It's in an old turn of the century building and they have done a great job of the interior. I liked the huge abstract landscape painting that one of the partners painted. They didn't have a lot of vegetarian choices but the pasta I had was very tasty. We even tried a bottle of wine from the nearby Cypress Hills Winery (the only winery in Saskatchewan). If you're looking for a nice meal in the Maple Creek area I'd definitely recommend it." http://www.panoramio.com/photo/5458297

There is also the Cypress Hills Vineyard and Winery nearby (their Chokecherry Wine is the bestest)......lovely served with their cheese/fruit/bread plate. http://www.cypresshillswinery.com/ (we try to get there early cause Alberta folks know about it too now).

While I have ridden a horse many times I've never done this (find the cowboy in you at a working guest ranch) http://www.cypresshills.com/index.php?id=125 And that area is very, very scenic.

Lots of very nice ones off the beaten path but for those hurrying through the above are each unique and have surprised many visitors (I had a couple from Germany say camping here was their favourite part of their visit to North America......I really ? that (I know what Easterners think ;) but they assured me it was true....they loved the parks in this prairie province and the fact there wasn't many people). Something they assured me that most of the world isn't used to. It could be they also had a hidden cowboy in them. ;D

Another park further away from the TransCanada and near the U.S. border is Grasslands National Park. A fellow that I've talked to at Flicker, is moving there to retire (he is originally from Montreal, moved to Vancouver Island). He bought a house is the little tiny town of Val Marie and plans to spend as much time as he can in the park he fell madly in love with (and knows intimately...better than me). Some of his photos of Grasslands National Park can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/pageworld/ ... 670922715/ He's written a book that showcases his love of the prairies (illustrated with his stunning pictures): Wild Prairie: A Photographer’s Personal Journey, published by Greystone Books (Vancouver, BC). His whole Flickr collection can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pageworld/ and his website: http://web.mac.com/pageworld/Site/Home.html (he really has done a fantastic job of showcasing this country of ours....and he has some of the States).

One other area that is not what most people think what the southern part of this province looks like (it is where a couple Mantracker shows were filmed): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYnHy1s82i8

There's more but I'll save you from them all (there's a whole lot of miles between many of them).
http://www.greatsouthwest.ca/
Last edited by SaskatchewanScreamer on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Tampa Bay Hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby Tampa Bay Hurricane » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:55 pm

I want to go to north canada and see cold weather!!! It is 106*F heat index
here in Tampa Bay, Florida!
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#17 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:20 pm

Tampa Bay Hurricane LOLOL if'n I was anywhere in Florida I would too (in fact I'm finding my location hot...it's hard to adjust to the change from cool/cold to getting pretty warm in just a few days).

Right now it's 78°F here however the Feels Like is 86°F * Relative Humidity: 48%
* Wind: SW 9m/h
* Sunrise: 4:50
* Sunset: 21:15

With a severe thunderstorm warning now I see: Thunderstorms are forecast across the Prairies from Alberta to Manitoba. In central and eastern Saskatchewan, the area from south of Regina to Prince Albert east into Manitoba is at risk for severe thunderstorms this afternoon and into the evening.

Warm temperatures are bringing unsettled weather to the Prairies where drought has plagued many farming communities. Day time heating has resulted in afternoon and evening thunderstorms over the past few days. These convective storms do not bring enough precipitation to help farmers and have added to their woes with lightning strikes starting wildfire across the Prairies.

Thunderstorms are forecast for Thursday across the Prairies again with the band of severe thunderstorms slowly shifting east with the warm air. The Prairies will see a short break in the temperatures on Thursday but things will start to heat up again for the weekend.

Not too far up in Central/Northern Saskatchewan (Waskesiu Lake) it's 64°F (overnight 57°F) and since I've been working out in the yard today that sounds deliciously cool........you however might freeze to death there. ;D However it'll get *warm* there soon ....as the heat of summer moves up the lake where my son went would be perfect (*nice* warm temps with cool moist pine scented forest air and there are truly 100,000 lakes up there to explore and chances are at many you'd not see another soul for months/years at a time).

Waskesiu Lake, Prince Albert National Park
http://www.g-v-c.com/community/waskesiu.htm
Waskesiu is both a lake and a town within the flourishing borders of the Prince Albert National Park in central Saskatchewan, Canada. What a place!! Those who have spent time in this wilderness paradise know of the great memories the Park has authored. If you are new to the Park then you will soon find out why visitors and community members are so protective of this wilderness gem. You too may find yourself holding back from telling others about Prince Albert National Park - "Saskatchewan's Playground."

The Park covers 38742 km of pristine wilderness. The landscape is defined by grasslands, boreal forest and glacial lakes scattered across this immense space. There are also many wilderness inhabitants that roam the vast expanses of Prince Albert National Park. Elk, moose, black bears, wolves, bison and deer all call the forests of the Park their home. Within the waterways of the Park there are many different lifeforms. The infamous beavers work diligently, while the otters and muskrat frolic on the shorelines and the many species of fish patrol the myriad of water systems. We can't forget about the birds of the area either - loons, red-necked grebe, pelicans, bald eagles and many other winged creatures protect the skies above.

This unparalleled backdrop offers a wide range of activities from lawn bowling to wilderness canoeing to a day at the beach.The outdoor adventures of the Park beckon at every turn. It is hard to pinpoint what makes Prince Albert National Park so special, but the natural beauty of the Park and the vast array of opportunities to explore has created a unique
setting. No matter how long your stay, you too will find it hard to participate in everything the Park has to offer.

Enjoy your time here and we hope your appreciation of our wilderness heaven will only grow.
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#18 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:31 pm

Oh can't forget this........it'll truly cool you off Tampa Bay Hurricane ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7tirGdo5S8 (where my horrible sounding handle comes from).......be thankful they don't have sound.

And to make up for the above here's lovely shots of Waskesiu Lake: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&r ... a=N&tab=wi
0 likes   

TYNI
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#19 Postby TYNI » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:57 am

SaskatchewanScreamer wrote::D You may regret saying that................ ;D

May I suggest (I picked campgrounds near the TransCanada---one near Manitoba, one in the center, and one just outside Alberta):

Moose Mountain: http://www.tpcs.gov.sk.ca/MooseMountain Fresh air, blue skies and bacon crackling in the skillet as the morning sun drives the shadows out of Fish Creek Campground. Wrap your hands around that warm cup of coffee, take a deep breath and savour the feeling of waking up to nature instead of work.

Moose Mountain, a refreshing experience, is an island of birch and ash nestled in the southeast corner of the province. You may be surprised by just how well-treed the campground is. Combine this with level sites, and easy access to service centres, firewood and more, and you may never want to go home.

Buffalo Pound (the pictures at the link unfortunately don't show the lovely campground):
Buffalo Pound Provincial Park is set in Nicolle Flats Nature Area and the Qu'Appelle Valley and is excellent place to experiencing nature and outdoor recreation. There is incredible scenery and unique opportunities to explore a wetland environment. Buffalo Pound is over 1930 hectares in size and is open year-round with outdoor activities available in all four seasons. They also have a herd of Buffalo.
Location: Just to the northwest of Regina above Moose Jaw in the Southwest Region of Saskatchewan. From Regina take 1 west to the 301 a few kilometres before Moose Jaw. Head north on the 301 15-20 minutes until you reach the bend, the park is on the right. From Saskatoon take the 11 south to the 2 south then pick up the 202 east. It is only twenty minutes from Moose Jaw and less than an hour from Regina. http://www.out-there.com/buffalo.htm

These ones are my absolute faves however (they surprise everyone given that they are in the southern section below the #1):

Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park (located near the Alberta border on the #1)is a unique patch in the colorful quilt of outdoor experience that is the Saskatchewan parks system.

Rising 600 metres (1,950 feet) above the surrounding ranch land, the Cypress Hills are the highest point of land between Labrador and the Rockies. The majestic lodgepole pines crowning the hills and the lower-lying aspen stands are home to elk, pronghorn antelope, white-tailed deer, fox, coyote and bobcat. Signs posted in the campgrounds warn visitors about getting too close to normally-timid moose, many of which have lost their fear of humans and are regularly seen browsing near roads and campgrounds.

Cypress Hills has always been a lush retreat, rich in wildlife. For at least 7,000 years, nomadic Plains Indians wintered here because the hills were an excellent source of food, fuel, furs and building materials – lodgepole pines made excellent travois, teepee poles and, as their name implies, lodges. An additional attraction for the Indians was the Chinook breeze from the west, which made for a much milder winter than the one experienced on the Great Plains below.
http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q= ... 4&ct=title

http://www.virtualsk.com/current_issue/ ... egacy.html

"I also discovered a very nice little restaurant in Maple Creek of all places. Nothing against Maple Creek but it's pretty small and not where you'd expect to find a classy restaurant. When I drove by I noticed the white table cloths and wine glasses and figured it was worth checking out. It's called The Star Cafe and Grill. The chef has recently moved here from Rome (yes, Italy). You have to wonder why anyone would move from Rome to Maple Creek, but I'm certainly not complaining. It's in an old turn of the century building and they have done a great job of the interior. I liked the huge abstract landscape painting that one of the partners painted. They didn't have a lot of vegetarian choices but the pasta I had was very tasty. We even tried a bottle of wine from the nearby Cypress Hills Winery (the only winery in Saskatchewan). If you're looking for a nice meal in the Maple Creek area I'd definitely recommend it." http://www.panoramio.com/photo/5458297

There is also the Cypress Hills Vineyard and Winery nearby (their Chokecherry Wine is the bestest)......lovely served with their cheese/fruit/bread plate. http://www.cypresshillswinery.com/ (we try to get there early cause Alberta folks know about it too now).

While I have ridden a horse many times I've never done this (find the cowboy in you at a working guest ranch) http://www.cypresshills.com/index.php?id=125 And that area is very, very scenic.

Lots of very nice ones off the beaten path but for those hurrying through the above are each unique and have surprised many visitors (I had a couple from Germany say camping here was their favourite part of their visit to North America......I really ? that (I know what Easterners think ;) but they assured me it was true....they loved the parks in this prairie province and the fact there wasn't many people). Something they assured me that most of the world isn't used to. It could be they also had a hidden cowboy in them. ;D

Another park further away from the TransCanada and near the U.S. border is Grasslands National Park. A fellow that I've talked to at Flicker, is moving there to retire (he is originally from Montreal, moved to Vancouver Island). He bought a house is the little tiny town of Val Marie and plans to spend as much time as he can in the park he fell madly in love with (and knows intimately...better than me). Some of his photos of Grasslands National Park can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/pageworld/ ... 670922715/ He's written a book that showcases his love of the prairies (illustrated with his stunning pictures): Wild Prairie: A Photographer’s Personal Journey, published by Greystone Books (Vancouver, BC). His whole Flickr collection can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pageworld/ and his website: http://web.mac.com/pageworld/Site/Home.html (he really has done a fantastic job of showcasing this country of ours....and he has some of the States).

One other area that is not what most people think what the southern part of this province looks like (it is where a couple Mantracker shows were filmed): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYnHy1s82i8

There's more but I'll save you from them all (there's a whole lot of miles between many of them).
http://www.greatsouthwest.ca/

Holy cow! It's gonna take me a while to digest this great info!!! :D
0 likes   

TYNI
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#20 Postby TYNI » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:54 am

Sask - thank you for all the wonderful information. The parks look really amazing. The only area that I have experienced similar to some of this would be the badlands around Drumheller in Alberta. Now just to get the time to travel again...

I am going to buy that book, by the way! His photos are STUNNING.
0 likes   

Return to “Global Weather”