Massive ice island breaks off Greenland

Weather events from around the world plus Astronomy and Geology and other Natural events.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

Massive ice island breaks off Greenland

#1 Postby Aquawind » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:02 pm

(CNN) -- A piece of ice four times the size of Manhattan island has broken away from an ice shelf in Greenland, according to scientists in the U.S.

The 260 square-kilometer (100 square miles) ice island separated from the Petermann Glacier in northern Greenland early on Thursday, researchers based at the University of Delaware said.

The ice island, which is about half the height of the Empire State Building, is the biggest piece of ice to break away from the Arctic icecap since 1962 and amounts to a quarter of the Petermann 70-kilometer floating ice shelf, according to research leader Andreas Muenchow.

"The freshwater stored in this ice island could keep the Delaware or Hudson rivers flowing for more than two years. It could also keep all U.S. public tap water flowing for 120 days," Muenchow said.

Muenchow's team is studying ice in the Nares Strait separating Greenland from Canada, about 1,000 kilometers south of the North Pole.

Satellite data from NASA's MODIS-Aqua satellite revealed the initial rupture which was confirmed within hours by Trudy Wohlleben of the Canadian Ice Service, according to the University of Delaware website.

Muenchow said the island could block the Nares Strait as it drifts south, or break into smaller islands and continue towards the open waters of the Atlantic.

"In Nares Strait, the ice island will encounter real islands that are all much smaller in size," he said.

"The newly born ice island may become land-fast, block the channel, or it may break into smaller pieces as it is propelled south by the prevailing ocean currents. From there, it will likely follow along the coasts of Baffin Island and Labrador, to reach the Atlantic within the next two years."

Environmentalists say ice melt is being caused by global warming with Arctic temperatures in the 1990s reaching their warmest level of any decade in at least 2,000 years, according to a study published in 2009.

Current trends could see the Arctic Ocean become ice free in summer months within decades, researchers predict

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/ ... tml?hpt=T2
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2 Postby HURAKAN » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:26 pm

wow :eek:
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: Massive ice island breaks off Greenland

#3 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:49 pm

Love the prediction of an ice free Arctic at the end of the article since the last thing I read on the current ice coverage in the Arctic is that it is the most in several years. To my eyes it looks like a thinly veiled attempted scare tactic to get in another plug for GW. I will be interested however to hear how the ice island progresses and what happens.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

thetruesms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4 Postby thetruesms » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:52 pm

Sea ice extent was indeed just a little bit below average this spring. However, as we entered summer, arctic ice started melting rapidly, and has spent much of the past few months as either the lowest or second lowest extent in the satellite era. The common thing I hear is that it really does highlight an major inadequacy of using ice extent as a measurement - it only measures the area covered by ice, rather than the true volume of ice, which is what we would prefer to know.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#5 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:09 am

I saw some maps just recently, and of course I can't remember where, that definitely showed current sea ice extent in the Arctic and they definitely showed that it was more than in the last couple of years. but I must acquiesce to your information since I can't prove mine at all.(at least until I can figure out if I dreamed it or figure out where I saw it.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

TYNI
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby TYNI » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:31 pm

You are most certainly correct (Icecap is growing, not shrinking), and I am sure I have the link saved somewhere. Once I find it, I'll post it.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Nicko999
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Nicko999 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:43 pm

Yes, the icepack is growing from the 2007 all-time low. On average, it's still way below the 79-00 normal.
0 likes   

Bunkertor
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Bunkertor » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:36 am

Is there an iceberg tracker available ?
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby Aquawind » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:11 am

0 likes   

Nicko999
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby Nicko999 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:49 pm

The Northwest Passage--the legendary shipping route through ice-choked Canadian waters at the top of the world--melted free of ice last week, and is now open for navigation, according to satellite mosaics available from the National Snow and Ice Data Center and The University of Illinois Cryosphere Today. This summer marks the fourth consecutive year--and fourth time in recorded history--that the fabled passage has opened for navigation. Over the past four days, warm temperatures and southerly winds over Siberia have also led to intermittent opening of the Northeast Passage, the shipping route along the north coast of Russia through the Arctic Ocean. It is now possible to completely circumnavigate the Arctic Ocean in ice-free waters, and this will probably be the case for at least a month. This year marks the third consecutive year--and the third time in recorded history--that both the Northwest Passage and Northeast Passage have melted free, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center. The Northeast Passage opened for the first time in recorded history in 2005, and the Northwest Passage in 2007. It now appears that the opening of one or both of these northern passages is the new norm, and business interests are taking note--commercial shipping in the Arctic is on the increase, and there is increasing interest in oil drilling. The great polar explorers of past centuries would be astounded at how the Arctic has changed in the 21st century.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMa ... rynum=1589
0 likes   

Bunkertor
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#11 Postby Bunkertor » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:44 pm

Thank you, Sir !
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Aquawind » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:30 am

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/ ... tml?hpt=T2

Manhattan' ice island splits in two
By Hilary Whiteman,
CNN
September 10, 2010 3:05 p.m. EDT

(CNN) -- A massive ice island four times the size of Manhattan that broke off the Petermann Glacier early last month has split in two.

Satellite images show that the ice island broke in two after repeatedly smashing into Joe Island, a small rocky outcrop in the Nares Strait, west of Greenland.

"In the satellite imagery, you can hardly see the island because it's so much smaller than the ice island, but it's there; it's a piece of rock," said Andreas Muenchow, an associate professor at the University of Delaware.

The ice island hit Joe Island last week, and since then, combined forces of ocean currents and strong winds have weakened its structure.

"The forces of the ocean currents and the winds wiggling it on and off the island were too much," Muenchow said.

The largest piece is approximately 152 square kilometers in diameter, or around 2.5 times the size of the New York borough of Manhattan, while the smaller piece is around 84 square kilometers, he said.

The ice island made headlines in early August, when it split from the Petermann Glacier, before moving up the Petermann Fjord and then into the Nares Strait in early September.

It was the biggest break-off in 140 years, according to Muenchow, whose team consulted the earliest known reports about the glacier.

"We went back to 1876 to find all glacier positions that have ever been reported. From this analysis, we found that this indeed was the largest event that has been observed at Petermann, but that the trend of area lost by this glacier over the last 140 years is indistinguishable from zero," Muenchow said.

He and international teams spanning at least nine time zones have been tracking the ice island hourly since it broke off from the main glacier. Muenchow predicts the main pieces will be found off the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador in two to three years' time.

While the floating ice island has captured the public's imagination, he says, scientists are more interested in what its departure means for the glacier left behind.

"The exciting stuff as far as we are concerned is trying to understand the physics of the piece intact," Muenchow says. "As far as I'm concerned, the piece that has broken off has gone."

He said it is still unclear how the Petermann Glacier will react after losing such a large proportion of its mass.

"Because you're changing the balance of forces by removing a large piece, what will happen next is that it will probably start moving forward faster than it has been before because it has to find a new equilibrium."

By studying NASA satellite images, his team has determined that Petermann Glacier has been moving forward and backward in 20- to 30-year cycles. What is not clear how much global warming has contributed to its melting and movement, and how much is attributable to the cycle observed.

"Ice that is floating that is in contact with the ocean. If you melt that from below, faster, then it's getting thinner. As it's getting thinner it keeps flowing faster so it's using more mass, and that mass is being replaced by ice that's sitting on Greenland, that's sitting on land. That's where the main worry is, that you get an accelerated rate of upstream ice that's sitting on land out into the ocean."

Greenland is known to have been losing mass over the past 10 to 20 years.

In testimony to the Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming last month, Richard Alley, professor of Geosciences at Pennsylvania State University, said the ice loss was due to "a warming world."

"Greenland is losing mass at an accelerated rate and that appears to be because it's melting more on top from warmer air, and it is dumping more icebergs into the ocean from warmer water as well as warmer air," he said.

To try to understand what may happen in future, Muenchow is delving further into the past. He is trying to secure access to classified spy satellites which may provide more clues to the movement of the ice.

"Right now I'm looking at the data already has been declassified and I'm hoping that there are people within governments that make decisions or have decision making powers on what data to declassify that they will consider declassifying imagery to further our understanding of climate change."
0 likes   

Return to “Global Weather”