UK Weather

Weather events from around the world plus Astronomy and Geology and other Natural events.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
alan1961
Category 2
Category 2

UK Weather

#1 Postby alan1961 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:04 am

Hardly looking like summer here in the UK :(

0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#2 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:52 am

I take it that it is pretty cool (and rainy?) there right now Alan?

I read a newspaper article recently that said the southern part of the UK is/was facing severe drought this year: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=110969&p=2132448#p2132448 Is that true? If so has it changed?

My co-worker is from the Oxfordshire area and she said May (I believe) was hot and dry but she was surprised to hear about severe drought (they actually said some areas were drier than Egypt).
0 likes   

alan1961
Category 2
Category 2

Re:

#3 Postby alan1961 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:27 am

SaskatchewanScreamer wrote:I take it that it is pretty cool (and rainy?) there right now Alan?

I read a newspaper article recently that said the southern part of the UK is/was facing severe drought this year: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=110969&p=2132448#p2132448 Is that true? If so has it changed?

My co-worker is from the Oxfordshire area and she said May (I believe) was hot and dry but she was surprised to hear about severe drought (they actually said some areas were drier than Egypt).

Hi screamer, sorry about the late reply, yes sunday was a complete washout as you saw with the radar image, but it was beneficial rain for farmers and the horticulteral fraternity but no good for the holidaymakers and sunworshippers for our little island :lol:, of course one day of wet weather hasn't really done much at all to alleviate the dryness the southern half of the country as been experiencing through april and may, dont tell that too the people of scotland, northern ireland and northern parts of england though as the rainfall as been really close to normal there, but even though it as been dry in the south and east of the country the sunshine and temps have been below average in may, the best month for that being april which was sunnier and warmer than what we experienced last month. The first half of june as continued to be rather dissapointing so far with a southerly tracking jetstream throwing constant low pressure at the uk off the atlantic but still hardly any beneficial rain for south eastern parts. Until we get heights starting to fall over greenland and some kind of block to the west it may be a continuation of this pattern for the forseeable future :wink:
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#4 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:59 am

Thank you for the information Alan. :o) On Monday I'll have my co-worker take a look at your posting (from here I can keep more up to date than she can and, if Britain is having really horrible weather, I'll let her know so she can phone her Mum and see how she is doing (that usually happens when I've read that London is having loads of snow...by U.K. standards ;o)

Will be happy to send you some snow shovels come winter. :cheesy:
0 likes   

P.K.
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Re:

#5 Postby P.K. » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:23 am

alan1961 wrote: but even though it as been dry in the south and east of the country the sunshine and temps have been below average in may, the best month for that being april which was sunnier and warmer than what we experienced last month. The first half of june as continued to be rather dissapointing so far with a southerly tracking jetstream throwing constant low pressure at the uk off the atlantic but still hardly any beneficial rain for south eastern parts. Until we get heights starting to fall over greenland and some kind of block to the west it may be a continuation of this pattern for the forseeable future :wink:

Yes April was very warm but last month (Here at least) was actually slightly warmer at 12.6C (+1.3C) instead of the 12.0C (+3.9C) for April. So far June for me is running at 13.4C (0.7C below ave).

67.0mm here in the last two weeks which has turned the garden back green again after it was starting to go rather brown. June has now been as wet as the previous 3 1/3 months combined!
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#6 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:57 pm

Barb, my British (well now Canadian) co-worker studied the above with great interest (she sure enjoys reading about her old stompin' grounds). :D Thank you for the information Alan and P.K.

BTW you fellows could send umbrellas this-a-way (my province is getting so much rain Barb swears the land mass here jumped over the pond and is residing now next to Scotland). Saskatchewan, in case you aren't aware, is normally semi-arid to arid but with all the rains and snow we've received (for well over a year now) I'd swear my Scottish great great great (came over in the 1600's) grandparents from the Isle of Barra, or my grandfather from Dumfries, (or my Irish or British relatives) would feel very much at home here right now. :double:
0 likes   

Return to “Global Weather”