UK Weather...Northerlies look likely

Weather events from around the world plus Astronomy and Geology and other Natural events.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
polar low UK
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

UK Weather...Northerlies look likely

#1 Postby polar low UK » Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:51 pm

We in the UK are bracing ourselves for later this week...after the huge milestone that was 100F being reached and breached in Gravesend, Kent (South East England) mid month, we are now preparing for the first snows!...over the Scottish/Welsh (possibly) mountains! a dusting seems likely above 1000m, and a possible accumulation of a cm or 2 on the very highest ground...a widespread Ground frost also in the offing, so exciting times ahead for UK users, albeit few and far between! :roll: :lol:
0 likes   

highcliffe2
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#2 Postby highcliffe2 » Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:54 pm

Yeah, that certainly looks possible Dunc, may well be an exciting but short-lived occasion :D
0 likes   

polar low UK
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#3 Postby polar low UK » Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:56 pm

Definitley, Northerlies are to be savoured in the UK!
0 likes   

#4 Postby Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:23 pm

Cant wait for my area here in the states to get in on some snow!!!!!! BTW welcome guys to Storm2K!:) Its very nice to hear about weather going on in other parts of the world especialy your's seeing how certain things like the NAO affects us both greatly so......................BTW how unusuall is this for you guys to be getting snow in them places?.................Normally dont get our first flakes of snow here in Ohio, USA untill November.
0 likes   

highcliffe2
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#5 Postby highcliffe2 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:00 am

Thanks for the welcome :D

Yes, it is highly unusual to see possible snow in the highest peaks in Scotland at this time of the year, seeing as we saw a week-long heatwave a few weeks back with record-breaking temps. I would expect this to happen early-mid October :o
0 likes   

Incus Darkstar
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#6 Postby Incus Darkstar » Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:16 am

Ah I still think summer will last well into September. Our first proper snows will arrive around the 27th December onwards till the 4th January.
0 likes   

highcliffe2
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#7 Postby highcliffe2 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:04 am

Yeah, I think you're right there, this weekend will probably be a temporary blip. Though frosts are possible for the northern half of the UK as the skies clear and the winds lighten :D This Autumn also could be stormy due to the anomalies in the Atlantic? :?
0 likes   

polar low UK
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#8 Postby polar low UK » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:56 pm

Depends there Ryan, the warm anomoly in the Southern Mid Atlantic, arching around the cold pool, could have given some real temperature gradients, and some real storminess, but its fading away to practically nothign now, so I think september *could* be pretty settled at first. :)
0 likes   

Lee
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#9 Postby Lee » Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:47 am

Well it is looking like it will become increasingly unsettled from now on
0 likes   

highcliffe2
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#10 Postby highcliffe2 » Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:48 pm

During the next 5 or so days the majority of England and Wales will stay dry and warm with 25c as a maximum likely. The north-west of the UK (Northern Ireland, Scotland) is more likely to be plagued by cloudy and rainy conditions. I think gales, possibly severe gales hit northern Scotland on Thursday from Fabian, although Iceland got the brunt of it. No significant rain for the near future
0 likes   

Return to “Global Weather”