A F3 Tornado Ripped Through Downtown Goderich Ontario

Weather events from around the world plus Astronomy and Geology and other Natural events.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

A F3 Tornado Ripped Through Downtown Goderich Ontario

#1 Postby Cyclenall » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:17 pm

Well, Deja Vu for me because just 2 years and 1 day ago something similar to this hit not too far away from me and now it has happened again! A powerful tornado hit Goderich yesterday causing a worst case scenario for the town. I've seen tons of bad storms on radar hit Goderich but never a tornado. On radar apparently it had a hook echo and strong rotation and Environment Canada issued a tornado warning at 3:48 pm EDT while the actual tornado hit at 4:00 pm EDT. I think it was slightly before or after that time. It was a supercell coming SW towards Goderich from upper MI. It was Ontario's strongest tornado in 15 years rated a F3 (which I 100% agree with). Here are the stats on it:

Deaths: 1
Injured: 37-40
Damage: $130 million
Businesses affected: 150
Length of Path: 19.5 km
Duration: Unknown (around 15-20 minutes on landmass)
Forward Speed: 75 km/h
Maximum Width: Unknown (looks like 1.5 km)
Strength: F3
Time: Sunday August 21, 2011 4:00 pm EDT
Type of Tornado: Trunk/Small Wedge

I'm completely amazed at how much destruction this twister caused. I don't even remember severe weather or even thunderstorms being in the forecast for southern Ontario so where this came from I don't know. Same thing August 20, 2009 which caught me off guard too. Here is a meteorological analysis of how this occurred: http://canadiantexan.posterous.com/the- ... -on-tornad

Sad News Note: Jack Layton of the NDP party passed away today from cancer at age 61...the same age as the man who died in yesterday's tornado in Goderich. Man, so much breaking and huge news at once.
Last edited by Cyclenall on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

Re: A F3 Tornado Ripped Through Downtown Goderich Ontario

#2 Postby Cyclenall » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:57 pm

Update: I've updated the information on this historical event. This was basically Canada's mini-Joplin and yet no one commented. I still can't believe it happened so out of the blue like that, everything just came together at the perfect time.
0 likes   

Hybridstorm_November2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby Hybridstorm_November2001 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:11 pm

Thanks for keeping us updated. I couldn't believe this when it happened last year. Usually you just do not see tornado damage like the event in question that far north. :eek:
0 likes   

HurricaneBill
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#4 Postby HurricaneBill » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:33 am

Hybridstorm_November2001 wrote:Thanks for keeping us updated. I couldn't believe this when it happened last year. Usually you just do not see tornado damage like the event in question that far north. :eek:

On August 20, 1970, an F3 tornado struck the city of Sudbury, Ontario. It left 6 dead and 200 injured.
0 likes   

Hybridstorm_November2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#5 Postby Hybridstorm_November2001 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:57 pm

HurricaneBill wrote:
Hybridstorm_November2001 wrote:Thanks for keeping us updated. I couldn't believe this when it happened last year. Usually you just do not see tornado damage like the event in question that far north. :eek:

On August 20, 1970, an F3 tornado struck the city of Sudbury, Ontario. It left 6 dead and 200 injured.

Thanks for the info, being from the Maritimes my special weather interests are more nor'easters & northern hurricanes (I can tell you pretty much everyone of both which had major effects on this region during the past roughly 300 years). Though I don't know nearly as much about tornadoes, even Canadian or New England ones.
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Cyclenall » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:21 pm

Update: I've updated the information 1 year after it struck to change the damage from $75-100 million to $130 million which I think is the final total.

The Canadian news media did a huge tribute yesterday on the Goderich tornado and one of the local stations did most of their broadcast on it. They had some survivor stories including a security guard who flew in a small building (shed size) over 300 feet! I did catch one error from CTV2 London coverage...the woman explaining the timeline said it was a hot day (it was a coolish day, I remember it).
0 likes   

Return to “Global Weather”