Basic preparations for every season

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

KBBOCA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#81 Postby KBBOCA » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:09 pm

I'm enjoying discovering some new resources via browsing Twitter tonight.

The NHC has an experimental Twitter account where they report on Storm Surge.

https://twitter.com/NHC_Surge

what I found there:
1) A public service announcement explaining Storm Surge and its danger:

2) Reports on Storm Surge for Isaac from around the Caribbean:
http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/quickl ... ISAAC.html

I imagine this could be an awesomely helpful resource should Isaac threaten storm-surge prone areas (Tampa, Big Bend, MissGulf Coast etc.) in the Gulf!
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#82 Postby artist » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:59 am

KBBOCA wrote:I just saw while following Twitter re: Isaac that the Red Cross has some special apps to help with Hurricanes:

American Red Cross ‏@RedCross
Our hurricane app also features info on #RedCross shelters, a toolkit w flashlight, strobe light, alarm http://rdcrss.org/Py9tHU #Isaac

American Red Cross ‏@RedCross
In our Hurricane App, there's a one-touch “I’m Safe” button to let family, friends know u are okay. #Isaac http://rdcrss.org/Py9tHU

very cool to see technology put to such good use!

great information KBBOCA
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#83 Postby artist » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:34 pm

Be prepared for flooding even on the outskirts of Isaac.
0 likes   

KBBOCA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#84 Postby KBBOCA » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:31 pm

I saw good advice from a Floridian related to power outages in the comments at Jeff Masters' blog:

It sounds silly, but based on dealing just with garden variety SoFla power outs, I'd like to suggest that people find out now how to report and how to track local power outs on both their computers and on their phones. Make sure you can make things work- some companies want your account number and in this day of ebills, who has that lying around? Some let you text in an outage report, but you have to register in advance, etc. A little time now will cut your stress later, imho. Be safe, all.
0 likes   

MidnightRain
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: Basic preparations for every season

#85 Postby MidnightRain » Tue May 28, 2013 5:03 pm

The above images display the reality of a approaching hurricane at your local gas stations and hardware stores, but it's a reality you can avoid for the most part. I know a lot of people don't like spending money preparing for something that probably won't happen. But when it does happen and you already have 90% of your hurricane list checked off, it's a massive relief. So, take some time to store away some gasoline, batteries, flashlights, lanterns, ice bags in your deep freezer...etc. Every little bit counts and will end up saving you a lot of time and stress.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#86 Postby vbhoutex » Wed May 29, 2013 12:50 pm

MidnightRain gives some good advice. Instead of waiting till the threat of a storm is a reality, each time you go grocery shopping pick up one or two things you will need for your emergency kit. That way you don't have to fight crowds and spend a lot of money all at once.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

DonaldL396
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#87 Postby DonaldL396 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:26 pm

Are there any portable radios that recieve television broadcasts? I have not been able to find one since the switch to digital signal
0 likes   

BlueWater36
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#88 Postby BlueWater36 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:35 pm

DonaldL396 wrote:Are there any portable radios that recieve television broadcasts? I have not been able to find one since the switch to digital signal

I haven't had any luck finding one, or a battery powered TV for that matter. I'm currently considering one of these for my laptop:
http://www.amazon.com/Elgato-EyeTV-Hybr ... BWYM9JVNZR

It's basically a digital TV tuner that plugs into a USB port on your computer, but I can't justify spending $115+ on something like that.

Can anyone recommend a good battery powered TV that picks up digital signals?
0 likes   

Claire
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#89 Postby Claire » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:30 am

Very informative and helpful advice. It is better to prepare for the disaster before the time. We might not be able to avoid the damages but at-least preparing for the damages in advance can help us to reduce some of the damages. Sometimes, people even refuse to listen to the authorities when they ask them to relocate. It is difficult to leave the home but we should prioritize our lives over the property. Property is something that can be build once again but life is something if you lose, you cannot get it back.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”