Compact Flourescent Bulbs

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

Compact Flourescent Bulbs

#1 Postby DanKellFla » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:25 am

I have been switching over to these bulbs when it struck me that they make very efficient use of your generators limited output. Roughly, they use about a third of the power for the same amount of light. Would be good to have some in your kit. You can save gas and have more light.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: Compact Flourescent Bulbs

#2 Postby vbhoutex » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:04 pm

DanKellFla wrote:I have been switching over to these bulbs when it struck me that they make very efficient use of your generators limited output. Roughly, they use about a third of the power for the same amount of light. Would be good to have some in your kit. You can save gas and have more light.

Great Idea!! That may be something to pitch to EM officials.
0 likes   

Alladin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3 Postby Alladin » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:07 pm

The flicker associated with fluorescent bulbs is greatly exaggerated when they are powered by a generator. Make sure you use fluorescent bulbs in combination with incandescent bulbs. Otherwise the constant light fluctuations will be very annoying and can cause headaches.

For emergency lighting, I have found battery powered fluorescents to be excellent.
0 likes   

TampaBay
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby TampaBay » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:34 am

Alladin wrote:The flicker associated with fluorescent bulbs is greatly exaggerated when they are powered by a generator. Make sure you use fluorescent bulbs in combination with incandescent bulbs. Otherwise the constant light fluctuations will be very annoying and can cause headaches.
The is true only with the older style simple motor-generators. Newer inverter model generators deliver power that is cleaner (better regulated and less ripple) than that you get from most public utilities.
0 likes   

Alladin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5 Postby Alladin » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:13 pm

TampaBay wrote:
Alladin wrote:The flicker associated with fluorescent bulbs is greatly exaggerated when they are powered by a generator. Make sure you use fluorescent bulbs in combination with incandescent bulbs. Otherwise the constant light fluctuations will be very annoying and can cause headaches.
The is true only with the older style simple motor-generators. Newer inverter model generators deliver power that is cleaner (better regulated and less ripple) than that you get from most public utilities.
Actually that is not the case. An inverter generator does not reduce the flicker of fluorescent bulbs. So called “cleaner” power has nothing to do with the issue. All fluorescent lights flicker on and off with alternating current. Modern electronic ballasts have a frequency of 20,000 Hz or higher. In actual practice an inverter generator with better frequency control might make the stroboscopic flicker of fluorescent lights more pronounced.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”