Less stored fuel?

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

olddude
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Less stored fuel?

#1 Postby olddude » Mon May 12, 2008 10:29 am

I just filled up a 5 gallon can today and it cost me $20.00 + stabil. Will you store less fuel this year with the cost of gas over $4.00. My normal storage is 50 gallons plus the 45 gallons in my boat. This year I'm looking at $400.00. I will bite the bullet as I rotate fuel and will spend the money anyway but others may not be able to swing their normal amount. How about you?

Scott
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby DanKellFla » Mon May 12, 2008 5:32 pm

Definitely. I will rotate 15 gallons. If a storm comes, I will by another 15 and live with whatever happens. I have family close by ( but not too close) and one of us usually has power back in in 48 hours.
0 likes   

dizzyfish
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Less stored fuel?

#3 Postby dizzyfish » Tue May 13, 2008 4:08 pm

We have been debating this very issue. Do we have enough money to fill all the cans in case we feel we might be threatened? We don't keep them all full now due to the gas prices but if we feel we might need to we will. I'm not looking forward to that "if" though.

On another note - we have stockpiled enough of everything else that we should only have to get the gas and some ice. *crosses fingers and toes*
0 likes   

Jinkers
Category 1
Category 1

#4 Postby Jinkers » Tue May 13, 2008 10:46 pm

I'll stock pile my normal amount, which isn't much, my family all lives around 5 minutes from me, and I always have plenty of supplies to get me thru the first week.
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#5 Postby Dionne » Wed May 14, 2008 7:08 am

We'll stash less gasoline this year. When the first blob develops or moves into the GOM or Caribbean.....(4) five gallons jugs will be filled and stored w/stabil, plus we'll keep both trucks full on a daily basis.

The only thing we have increased is food storage. Substantial increase in long life shelf products. We converted a walk in closet into a food pantry. Remember the specials when you could purchase 5 cans of veggies for a dollar? Those days are long gone.
0 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby jlauderdal » Wed May 14, 2008 11:44 am

olddude wrote:I just filled up a 5 gallon can today and it cost me $20.00 + stabil. Will you store less fuel this year with the cost of gas over $4.00. My normal storage is 50 gallons plus the 45 gallons in my boat. This year I'm looking at $400.00. I will bite the bullet as I rotate fuel and will spend the money anyway but others may not be able to swing their normal amount. How about you?

Scott

i will buy 50 gallons when I am under a watch and then hold it through the season. if no watch comes then no gas. 50 gallons gives me 5 days of directv, refrigerator and air conditioning.
0 likes   

decgirl66
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby decgirl66 » Wed May 21, 2008 1:40 pm

How long does stored gas stay good? :?:
0 likes   

olddude
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8 Postby olddude » Wed May 21, 2008 2:46 pm

decgirl66 wrote:How long does stored gas stay good? :?:

When storing gasoline always use an additive to reduce varnishing of the gas. A fairly inexpensive additive is "Stabil". 2 ounces to 5 gallons of gas should get you 1 year storage. I try to rotate at 6 months. Another additive is Pri-G, said to be better additive I'm told which can restore old fuel. YMMV.

Scott
0 likes   

Jagno
Category 3
Category 3

#9 Postby Jagno » Wed May 21, 2008 10:04 pm

This year I'm going to diversify my fuel storage. We have a 15,000 KW generator that has been modified to run on propane in addition to our small 5,000 KW Honda gen that uses gasoline. I have filled my 30 gallon fuel cell and 2 of the very large propane tanks. We also keep our vehicle tanks (2 gas and 1 diesel) no lower than 3/4 full at all times.
0 likes   

drudd1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby drudd1 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:54 pm

We have already filled the gas cans and will keep them full until after the hurricane season passes, at which time the gas will get used in the vehicles. We are putting away just as much as previous years. The way I look at it, it's a good investment. Shoot, by the end of hurricane season, the gas I paid $4.00 a gallon for two weeks ago, will be going for $5.00, and I will have saved myself some money :D
0 likes   

canetracker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby canetracker » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:48 pm

drudd1 wrote:We have already filled the gas cans and will keep them full until after the hurricane season passes, at which time the gas will get used in the vehicles. We are putting away just as much as previous years. The way I look at it, it's a good investment. Shoot, by the end of hurricane season, the gas I paid $4.00 a gallon for two weeks ago, will be going for $5.00, and I will have saved myself some money :D

Thats the way I look at it too. Its a good investment and great for fueling the vehicles later.

Although my generator is set to run on natural gas, I like to have gas back up for it and also for my vehicle in case I need to travel. I have filled some containers, but since gas prices continue to skyrocket I need to finish filling all of my containers soon.
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby DanKellFla » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:03 pm

drudd1 wrote:We have already filled the gas cans and will keep them full until after the hurricane season passes, at which time the gas will get used in the vehicles. We are putting away just as much as previous years. The way I look at it, it's a good investment. Shoot, by the end of hurricane season, the gas I paid $4.00 a gallon for two weeks ago, will be going for $5.00, and I will have saved myself some money :D

Oh, heaven forbid!
0 likes   

StrongWind
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13 Postby StrongWind » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:59 pm

Gasoline easily stores for several months w/o stabil. I keep my gas cans full year round and rotate constantly. I rarely fill up my car at the gas station anymore.

It's more of a hassle but there are many more advantages:
- Don't have have to spend money on stabil, use it for gas
- Don't have a huge cash outlay every year, just buy what I use
- Can save a few bucks by buying when gas is cheaper - I didn't fill up my cans from last 2 weeks knowing the price is going down.
- FWIW, hurricanes aren't the only reason gas shortages occur. Can you imagine trying to get your gas cans filled after some terrorist blows up a port facility or major refinery?
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”