DO NOT BACK FEED ALTERNATING CURRENT

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

DO NOT BACK FEED ALTERNATING CURRENT

#1 Postby Dionne » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:40 pm

Mods...please find the correct location for this thread.

Areas in west central Mississippi experienced severe storms last Saturday night and early Sunday morning.

Folks are still without power. Some may be without for several more days into next week.

Generators are selling out. Buyers are requesting quick fix back feed applications.

PLEASE....DO NOT DO THIS......!

You could kill a man on a pole trying to help you.

As our hurricane season ramps up this will be a continued problem.

Thanx for your attention.
0 likes   

hial2
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: DO NOT BACK FEED ALTERNATING CURRENT

#2 Postby hial2 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:00 pm

Dionne wrote:Mods...please find the correct location for this thread.

Areas in west central Mississippi experienced severe storms last Saturday night and early Sunday morning.

Folks are still without power. Some may be without for several more days into next week.

Generators are selling out. Buyers are requesting quick fix back feed applications.

PLEASE....DO NOT DO THIS......!

You could kill a man on a pole trying to help you.

As our hurricane season ramps up this will be a continued problem.

Thanx for your attention.

Dionne, how to you back feed?? You mean hook up to the home's electric grid? I'm a newbie generator owner..Thanks
0 likes   

jordanmills
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#3 Postby jordanmills » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:47 pm

Have a qualified electrician come out and install an accessory breaker box and automatic isolation circuit.
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby DanKellFla » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:47 pm

You backfeed by hooking up the generator directly to the house without using a transfer switch AND not disconnecting the house from the grid. It is a bad idea. You can kill a lineman, burn down your house or fry your generator.
After one hurricane, one of my neighboors must have been backfeeding, because a low powered night light in my house was glowing. In my area, to disconnect your house from the grid, all you need to do is throw a master switch. It couldn't be much easier than that and it still wasn't done. It is expensive, but buy an 'extend-a-panel' cord and run it into your house.
0 likes   

jordanmills
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#5 Postby jordanmills » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:13 pm

When in doubt, just flip the main breakers off. Although that might not always work. Best bet (only bet?) is to get a licensed electrician out to sign off on it.
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

Re: DO NOT BACK FEED ALTERNATING CURRENT

#6 Postby Dionne » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:18 am

Back feed applications can be done properly. I'm not going to tell you how to do it. Get an electrician. I will tell you this....in an emergency situation with electricity coming into your home.....pull the meter. If your not qualified to pull the meter yourself call the fire dept.

EDIT; By pulling your meter, you isolate your homes electric grid.
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#7 Postby DanKellFla » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:06 pm

jordanmills wrote:When in doubt, just flip the main breakers off. Although that might not always work. Best bet (only bet?) is to get a licensed electrician out to sign off on it.

The problem is not all houses have this available. In that case, you have to disconnect the 200 Amp lines going into your house. When the power is out, that is easy and safe. The problem is reconnecting them when the power is on. That needs to be done the right way. You don't get a second chance if you do it wrong. (Death is possible, if you are lucky, you fry you panel) I know an electrician who will do it for his friends. But he absolutely refuses to accept to be paid for that. And, he won't disconnect the house if he thinks that you are going to try and reconnect it.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”