Red-headed step child = Any place not NOLA

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

TerraMom
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Red-headed step child = Any place not NOLA

#1 Postby TerraMom » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:22 pm

:grr: It seems that if you're not New Orleans, you just don't count. I've been comparing the amount of information that was provided by ProMets and the discussion that preceded Gustav compared to Ike and the difference is quite noticable.

I live in Austin, TX, not on the gulf coast, but I have relatives in both Victoria and Houston. Some informed discussion would be appreciated. We are trying to figure out about when/if they should evacuate. The models keep shifting and evacuation with pets can be quite an undertaking, particular if the memory of sitting in traffic for hours is still a fresh one. Remember the fiasco that was Rita.

Here we have a similar scenario, with a potential large and intense storm, approaching the TX coast...and they keep moving the track northward. I know some of you have connections to government information and are much more astute at under this stuff this us neophytes who check out these sites because we need to know if we need to change the sheets in the guest rooms and arrange for boarding someone's else pets.
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby DanKellFla » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:38 pm

Think sugar, not vinegar.

Go to the Tropical Analysis and Pro Mets forum. I find that the discussion in the Active Storms Forum ends up to be about the specific weather phenomenon.

One more thing. There are a lot of people from NOLA on this board. I don't know about too many Teaxans. You could PM GalvestonDuck....
0 likes   

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Red-headed step child = Any place not NOLA

#3 Postby Shoshana » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:53 pm

There are quite a number of Texans on the board... a lot of us read a whole bunch more than we write.

Part of the problem with predicting storms like Ike (and Rita) is that just a little change in the movement in the gulf is a bigger change on the coast of Texas (and the west coast of Florida too).

The land is curving at the same time the storm might be and it's just harder to predict.

They're not trying to make us crazy on purpose!!!!

My friends are leaving Texas City but my family is staying put in Houston last I heard.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”