Don't Forget Your Freezer

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Downdraft
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Don't Forget Your Freezer

#1 Postby Downdraft » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:25 pm

Make it a goal to empty out the freezer before the season starts. If the power goes out for awhile your going to lose everything in it so eat it up before the main event. Once it's reasonable empty only put in what your going to eat on a week by week basis. With all the freed up room you'll have a lot more room to store ice before the storm hits.
0 likes   

bevgo
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby bevgo » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:39 am

As I empty my freezer I fill it with gallon jugs of water--just need to open and pour out a bit so they dont expand too much. This insures that there is water available for hubby and daughter when the hospital allows them to go home and keeps the freezer working efficiently. I keep very little in it during the season.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Don't Forget Your Freezer

#3 Postby MGC » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:12 pm

During hurricane season, we only keep a couple of days of perishable foods on hand. Keeping frozen water jugs is a good idea. I remember after Hurricane Betsy we would get a block of ice and put the ice in a pot and keep it in the refridg. Hopefully none of us will have to use this...MGC
0 likes   

olddude
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Don't Forget Your Freezer

#4 Postby olddude » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:26 pm

I understand the reasoning for emptying out the freezer prior to season but I don't adhere to that reasoning. That is why I have a generator. The freezer is a part of my food storage program that I maintain for all emergencies. It is also the first food that I eat after a storm has passed. I can maintain the freezer with as little as 2 hours of run time per day, a bit longer if I am trying to make more ice. This year my goal is to pick up a Honda eu 2000 just for the freezer and a small nightime a/c unit and save the the Honda 10000 for when fuel is again available.

Scott
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”