Convert generator to Natural Gas

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

rugerx
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Convert generator to Natural Gas

#1 Postby rugerx » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:38 am

Another question I have is regarding converting a gasoline powered generator to natural gas.
I found a few kits on the internet that claim to do this.

http://www.propane-generators.com and http://www.propanecarbs.com/
Both seem reasonable and make sense that they would work.

I have not been able to find definitive information is regarding will it damage the generator? I called both businesses and they indicated they have not had claims of damage issues. I called subaru who makes the engine on my generator -10 hp EX30 OHC subaru robin (http://www.robinamerica.com/series.aspx?sid=7) and they indicated not to do it, stating that natural gas burns hotter than gasoline and will result in engine failure.

Does anyone out there know definitively if this is ok or not, or is it just best to stick with Gasoline?

I would love the option of switching between the two when gasoline becomes scarce after a hurricane.

Thanks much.
0 likes   

canetracker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Convert generator to Natural Gas

#2 Postby canetracker » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:16 pm

Many of the questions you have about generator conversions can be found in this topic ----->Generator Conversions

Having done it myself, I am soooo happy that I did. You don't have to wait in gas lines and it is way cheaper than gasoline.
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#3 Postby Dionne » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:32 am

You should follow the manufacturers specifications. Natural gas and propane are highly combustible.

If you really want an alternative to gasoline, purchase a Generac.

Then all you have to worry about is natural gas/propane supplies.

We lost natural gas during Katrina.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby MGC » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:11 pm

Trees will uproot the NG lines just like the water lines. We were without water and NG service for months after Katrina.....MGC
0 likes   

canetracker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby canetracker » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:26 pm

Totally agree with Dionne and MGC.
#1 Always follow manufacturer specs. Lucky for me, my dad is highly qualified and did this for many years.

#2 My area is very high and firm. We have never lost natural gas, but it could happen.

I guess you have to think through all things. My generator also quickly converts to propane and gasoline.
0 likes   

Alladin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6 Postby Alladin » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:24 pm

For hurricane preparation, it is best to make plans based upon the Peter Principle, “If anything can go wrong, it will”. You must plan on the basis that all utilities will fail including water, sewer, gas, electric, phone (cell and land line) and cable. You must be totally self sufficient for all of your needs. For a generator, you need to have your fuel supply in secure storage near your shelter.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”