Living in a camper and when to go?

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Jagno
Category 3
Category 3

Living in a camper and when to go?

#1 Postby Jagno » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:50 pm

Hi everyone, it's nice to have everyone back.

Okay, I just moved my youngest son to Kissimmee, Florida just south of Orlando. He is living in our camper in an RV resort while attending college in Orlando. This new invest 93L has me a bit concerned. I've never lived in a camper except when Rita took our home. This system is approximately 4 days out. Should I go ahead and make him hotel reservations for a few days around the 30th and the 1st?

I just don't see a camper as being safe even in a moderate tropical storm. He cannot physically run or kneel and will already be having some serious pain in his legs due to the pressure changes. He was in a serious motorcycle accident over a year ago and still had a really rough time during Ike with his legs and injuries (19 broken bones).

Please give me your opinions because I'm really overprotective when it comes to my children. :oops:
0 likes   

SETXWXLADY
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Living in a camper and when to go?

#2 Postby SETXWXLADY » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:25 pm

Hi. I know how your son feels. My bones are a human weather guage too. Mines just from old though. :) Personally, I'd hold off for a bit on those reservations. Unless you already believe it is headed that way. I'm not a professional and don't want to change your mind. But I'D at least wait til the nhc comes out with a definite direction. Or as definite as they can be. :roll: Lol. I don't blame you for worrying about your son having to go thru a storm in a camper. Heck after Humberto came thru in the middle of the night I dragged my son and his family out of their mobile home when Edouard was coming just in case. Geesh. Enough already! I hope everyone stays safe this year.Hope this helps. :D
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#3 Postby Dionne » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:42 am

Even during a severe thunderstorm an RV can be a rough ride. This brings to mind the "run from the water, hide from the wind" rule.

I wouldn't worry to much right now. IF this develops into a storm and IF it crosses the Florida peninsula......I would feel fairly certain your son could find a suitable location to ride it out. The campus library comes to mind first......he could study AND be reasonably safe.

If he's going to be there in the RV for a long time.......why not spend the money on getting the RV/camper tied down?
0 likes   

weatherSnoop
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby weatherSnoop » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:23 am

Jagno wrote:Hi everyone, it's nice to have everyone back.

Okay, I just moved my youngest son to Kissimmee, Florida just south of Orlando. He is living in our camper in an RV resort while attending college in Orlando. This new invest 93L has me a bit concerned. I've never lived in a camper except when Rita took our home. This system is approximately 4 days out. Should I go ahead and make him hotel reservations for a few days around the 30th and the 1st? :oops:

If it helps with peace of mind, go ahead and reserve a room. Going thru hotel website rather than the search sites, you can cancel with no penalty up until 4-6 pm the day of. IF this should develop and move towards Tampa/St Pete, the Orlando hotel rooms fill up fast

My 2 cents
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby DanKellFla » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:02 pm

Check the location of the nearest shelter. Also, check with the college. Some of them will have resources for their students. Doesn't he have any friends that he can stay with? Somebody from a dorm? I know that when I was in college, we were all pretty easy about letting people stay a night if needed.
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

Re:

#6 Postby Dionne » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:08 am

DanKellFla wrote:Check the location of the nearest shelter. Also, check with the college. Some of them will have resources for their students. Doesn't he have any friends that he can stay with? Somebody from a dorm? I know that when I was in college, we were all pretty easy about letting people stay a night if needed.

During Katrina, our daughter had friends (all students at USM) that came over to her home in Hattiesburg......to ride out the storm together. It's a well built home in the historic district, full hip roof, shear panels, etc. Her friends all lived in apartments and were concerned about being to high in the wind field. Then the winds arrived. We lost every tree. Tall loblolly pines laid over on the house.
They ended up huddled together in the closet next to the chimney. She told us the walls were vibrating. Her request for rescue call came in around 11 AM. It took 27 hours to get to them.

I can certainly understand a parents concern during weather events. Hopefully we will never have to repeat that day.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”