Hurricane monitoring video camera

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Hurricane monitoring video camera

#1 Postby Frank P » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:17 pm

I just signed a three year contract that would have a contractor set up a high definition IR video camera system with satellite linkage. And its free.. The company is call World Class Companies... They will set up the camera, said to be rated for a Cat 5 hurricane and bullet proof, 36 to 48 hours before a Cat 2 storm hits my area... and will remove the camera within the next week.. They plan to install it 15 feet above the ground.. so it will be 30 feet ASL in my front yard... it will be installed near the highway and will be facing my house.. I will be able to view the storm remotely from the internet anywhere.. the owner said he has about 100 more free cameras for the MS coast area.. I had one friend today call to set up an appointment to get a free contract.. he will be setting up 300 cameras in total to capture and document the next Cat 2 or greater storm on the coast.. imagine the footage that could have been captured during Katrina with this set up.. They posted a big add in the SunHerald newspaper last Sunday, I sent them a email for the free service and got it.. WLOX will be doing a story I think on this company.. anyone interested in the a contact number email me..
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: Hurricane monitoring video camera

#2 Postby wxman57 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:14 am

Frank,

Is the camera only activated during a storm? Otherwise, it could be a security risk if it's viewable online at any time without requiring a password over a secure link. You don't want anyone to be able to see when you're not at home.

I was in Gautier just after Christmas this year. Had a chance to drive down 90 to Gulfport and back to check out the recovery. Thought about you as I was driving through Biloxi but forgot where your house was or I would have stopped by. Didn't think to check here before my trip. Saw a house that I thought could be yours, but it was east of the Beau Rivage. For some reason, I was remembering you're west of the Beau.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby MGC » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:24 pm

So, will we be able to watch Frank drink his moring coffee on his porch?

Why only a cat-2? You could get some good video of a cat-1 also. Yea, too bad this was not available for Katrina, it could have settled some wind vrs water lawsuits.....MGC
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Frank P » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:42 pm

wxman57 wrote:Frank,

Is the camera only activated during a storm? Otherwise, it could be a security risk if it's viewable online at any time without requiring a password over a secure link. You don't want anyone to be able to see when you're not at home.

I was in Gautier just after Christmas this year. Had a chance to drive down 90 to Gulfport and back to check out the recovery. Thought about you as I was driving through Biloxi but forgot where your house was or I would have stopped by. Didn't think to check here before my trip. Saw a house that I thought could be yours, but it was east of the Beau Rivage. For some reason, I was remembering you're west of the Beau.

They come and set it up 48 hours before the storm... they have 30 crews that will be available and it takes them about 30 minutes to set up the camera.. then they take it down within the next week... and its only activated for the storm... they will send me an email telling me what the address is to watch the video after they set it up..... it should be secure and only I will know the link... So I'll be real careful who I give the address to.. seems all legit to me 57... I'm the only beach front house in West Biloxi that's habitable.. just a block or so east of the Edgewater Mall.. real easy to find.. look me up next time you're around...

MGC, I asked them about setting it up for a Cat 1 but they said damage and surge not worth the effort.. If its only a Cat 2 I might stay home and watch the video from my house... won't have to brave the outdoors to see what's going on.. regardless, I hope I don't ever have to use this system..
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby Frank P » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:25 pm

Link to story on this camera from WLOX TV Biloxi
http://www.wlox.com/Global/story.asp?S=12218234
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#6 Postby wxman57 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:20 am

Frank P wrote:
MGC, I asked them about setting it up for a Cat 1 but they said damage and surge not worth the effort.. If its only a Cat 2 I might stay home and watch the video from my house... won't have to brave the outdoors to see what's going on.. regardless, I hope I don't ever have to use this system..

Don't judge a storm (surge) by its SS rating. A large Cat 2 could produce as big a surge as Katrina did. Remember what Cat 2 did to Bolivar Peninsula a few years back. It's the size of the hurricane wind field that produces the surge, not the peak sustained wind.
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby Frank P » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:50 am

Hey, I understand fully about the size of the wind field and the surge.. a lot of factors will go into the decision to stay for a Cat 2 storm... size of storm, angle of approach, what quad I'll get, etc... I always have a back out plan as well which is very easy for me to get off the beach to a safe house.. from surge that is.. ...
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”