Having water

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

knotimpaired
Category 1
Category 1

Having water

#1 Postby knotimpaired » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:32 am

It is common to loose water around Christmas and Easter on our island but we never do because we are so low, close to the water level/beach.

But we have lost it. This sucks. Although when we planned our pool my husband had thought in advance if we lost water. We are able to transfer the water out of our pool into our house.

This is something you should consider when installing a pool. Make it available to transfer into your home water system.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: Having water

#2 Postby vbhoutex » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:16 am

knotimpaired wrote:It is common to loose water around Christmas and Easter on our island but we never do because we are so low, close to the water level/beach.

But we have lost it. This sucks. Although when we planned our pool my husband had thought in advance if we lost water. We are able to transfer the water out of our pool into our house.

This is something you should consider when installing a pool. Make it available to transfer into your home water system.

Wow!! That is a great idea. Too bad I don't have a pool. I'd probably set that up if I did have one.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#3 Postby Dionne » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:28 pm

During the early morning hours of August 30, 2005......while enroute to find/rescue/evacuate my daughter after Katrina's landfall on coastal Mississippi.....we quickly learned that drinking water was our most valuable commodity.

"Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink"......Old Man and the Sea.....Hemingway. I should have payed closer attention when that book was required reading as a child.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#4 Postby wxman57 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:34 pm

Pool water wouldn't be safe to drink, but it could be used to flush toilets. You wouldn't be able to safely connect it to your home water supply, as that would contaminate the regular water supply once water is restored. Best transfer method would be simple buckets.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby MGC » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:03 pm

We didn't have safe potable water till after Christmas after Katrina. Uprooted trees destroyed the water lines. The surge destroyed the water pumps and waste systems. Untreated sewage was a big problem. Above ground sewage pipes were install and used for at least 3 years after the hurricane. No amout of planning was adequate for Katrina. I got tired of drinking bottled water. After a couple of months we decided to get spring water delivered to the house. We keep a half dozen 5 gallon bottles on hand during the hurricane season......MGC
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby DanKellFla » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:39 am

I separate my drinking water needs from my sanitation needs because I have a hot tub. I can use the tub water for washing and flushing if I really need too. Personally, when I lose water that is my signal to leave. Fortunetly, that has never happened to me but has happened to my brother. For a long term water loss (Katrina), I don't know what I would do. That would require a different approach.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”