Warn foreign tourists etc. of impending weather emergencies.

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

Warn foreign tourists etc. of impending weather emergencies.

#1 Postby Persepone » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:11 pm

This afternoon during final preparations for Earl, my husband and I came across a young tourist who apparently did not know the word for "hurricane" and did not know that Earl was a threat. She asked for directions/help as she was caught in a rainband. She knew absolutely nothing about the threat. When I said the word "typhoon" recognized the word and I'm not sure how much she understood, but she did go inside her house...

My grandchildren recently returned from a trip to several countries where their language skills would probably not have been up to understanding a similar danger. I know that I would want someone to warn them and not just assume that they understood the language well enough or watched TV (they never did--they were out sightseeing while they were away) and knew of an impending danger.

This may be out of place on "hurricane preparation" (sorry moderators) but if the language is not one with regular broadcasts in that language, perhaps other tourists get blindsided also. So as you go about your hurricane preparations, if you come across this type of situation, don't just assume foreign tourists know what is going on.... Take a minute to try to make them understand (we drew a picture of the coastline with hurricane symbols--that seemed to make sense to her)...
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Warn foreign tourists etc. of impending weather emergencies.

#2 Postby artist » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:45 pm

being here in south FLorida, we have many foreign tourists and your adivce is great.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”