Document-Document-Document-Be KIND

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Jagno
Category 3
Category 3

Document-Document-Document-Be KIND

#1 Postby Jagno » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:29 pm

To my east coast friends that are fixing to experience Henri's wrath please take some time now to document every square inch of your home and property. Take pictures of walls, ceilings, floors (yes even concrete floors) because when this is all said and done you will need them. We are still seeing so many people struggling a year after Laura to prove their concrete floor wasn't cracked before or that their sheetrock was not cracked from normal settling in a 10 year old home. After Rita we had to prove that our garage was attached to our home and not detached (a $26,000 difference in having a photo and not having a photo) which thankfully we did.

Return home as soon as possible when the storm has passed. Be prepared for lawlessness. Don't think it won't happen in your lovely suburban area because it will. Be ready to take care of yourself and your family because the police can't be everywhere and there is generally no jail available in a disaster so you are on your own.

Do not stock up if you are evacuating. Buy what you need in massive bulk before returning to your home. Especially important will be window a/c units, generators, solar phone chargers, gasoline cans, tarps, chainsaws, water, food, ice chests, etc.....). For months we had nothing and I traveled over an hour away just to get face cloths and towels, bedding, and other basic necessities. I had to travel out of state to buy beer (terrific motivation for the workers).

Treat those out of state emergency workers (utility, police, insurance) like good friends. Offer them something cold to drink, food to eat or just a place to sit and rest. Treat them with respect because they gave up their nice comfy homes to be out in the worst conditions to help you. We fed the electrical crew out of Georgia ribeye steaks, green beans and baked potatoes with ice cold beer the first time they entered our area. We were also the first to get our electricity restored to the property although the house was completely totaled. They even helped us set the temporary pole in the ground to run electricity for our 5th wheel camper in the driveway with a washer and dryer hookup in a shed. We offered them to come do their laundry which was greatly appreciated by them. The whole week they were in this neighborhood they took turns doing laundry since I was on a water well and had electricity.

Be extra kind to those few workers that will show up at the local grocery market, convenience store or pharmacy in your area working under the worst conditions. I personally worked at our pharmacy for 2 weeks with very long hours and no access to running water, which meant no clean toilets to use. It was hot and miserable but we were doing our best despite the fact our own homes were severely damaged or gone. Be the person you want to meet.
7 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”