DO YOU HAVE YOUR HURRICANE KIT!!!!!!!

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Do you have your Kit in order

Yes of course
52%
I wait till the last minute
28%
Nope I don't prepare one
20%
I rely on neighbors
No votes

Total votes: 46

Rainband

DO YOU HAVE YOUR HURRICANE KIT!!!!!!!

#1 Postby Rainband » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:30 pm

Ok people the season is growing closer. Are you ready. :eek: I plan on getting ours together next week :wink:
Last edited by Rainband on Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#2 Postby cycloneye » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:37 pm

Yes I am ready already as I prepare for every hurricane season before it starts to then not get caughted in the rush and higher prices of articles of first nessecity.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Rainband

#3 Postby Rainband » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:39 pm

cycloneye wrote:Yes I am ready already as I prepare for every hurricane season before it starts to then not get caughted in the rush and higher prices of articles of first nessecity.
Excellent Luis. :P Very true. Unfortunately some stores try to price gouge...they usually get caught :wink:
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#4 Postby Derek Ortt » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:23 pm

I never prepare one as we seldom get canes here in sfla (until the next active cycle of course when we get 4 in 5 years, lol). In addition, each situation is different. Therefore, I wait unitl about 4-5 days before the event before making any decisions (usually if I am certain that ther eis going to be a threat and am confident enough to tell others to make prelim preparations). A Michelle is different from an Irene, which is different from an Andrew. All preps are based upon ach unique situation
0 likes   

Rainband

#5 Postby Rainband » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:37 pm

I agree and disagree. It's a good idea to have a kit for two reasons. One, storms can be unpredictable and even weaker storms can cause problems in which case a kit can come in handy and two the last minute shopping stinks :lol: :lol: . :wink:
0 likes   

Rainband

#6 Postby Rainband » Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:17 pm

:uarrow: bump
0 likes   

Hurricanehink
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby Hurricanehink » Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:59 pm

Living in New Jersey, I only track the storms. Even for Isabel, we stayed here and slept right through. Had it gone more northward, we would have gone to a relative's house, but since it is such a rarity at that, we never have a hurricane kit.
0 likes   

robag
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

hurricane kit

#8 Postby robag » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:38 am

I learned through experience to not stockpile too much food. The food spoils rapidly in the humidity of the Keys, even when in air conditioned conditions. in addition, if a storm is a direct threat to the Keys we all need to get out of Dodge anyway.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#9 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:01 am

Yep, robag you are in a unique situation compared to most of us. Hopefully you do have something to take with you though just in case you do get stranded somehow on your way North.

As for me, I tend to agree with Derek, but I do have a basic kit that can quickly be brought up to full strength as required. I also wait till it is more obvious to me that we are definitely in a threat, which is usually at least 3 days before any of our local OCMs will admit to it. That makes for an easy stock-up trip since no one is rushing the stores yet or gouging prices.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

#10 Postby Guest » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:43 pm

I start getting most of my supplies together around the beginning of the season & then if & when there is a legit threat I get whatever else is needed which usually isnt much.
0 likes   

weatherlover427

#11 Postby weatherlover427 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:03 pm

Don't need a hurricane kit here in CA but we DO need an Earthquake kit. Unfortunately I do not have one. :( But I do have plenty of canned goods. :)
0 likes   

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Hurricane prep kit.

#12 Postby OuterBanker » Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:51 pm

I have lived on the OBX for thirty years and have prepared every year early. The stockpile of the previous years batteries I remove on June 1 (or look for a sale near that date) and use them to replace batteries in flashlights, etc. And I replace the hurricane kit with fresh batteries. I have found that trying to find batteries during a threat is a real pain as well as having to pay a premium and last year it proved critical that I had a supply of batteries. I do the same with canned goods (just try to find a can of chicken noodle soup the day before a hurricane). The main reason to carry a basic hurricane survival kit is peace of mind. It's something you don't have to worry about during preparations, and believe me you will be busy. BTW, the 72 hr rule really came to pass last year here, most of Dare County cut off all access for three days or more. Isabel was truly a rude awakening. Seriously thinking about a generator this year (see main tropical weather forum).
0 likes   

Wnghs2007
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby Wnghs2007 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:11 pm

Well dont think I will ever have to get a kit here were I live unless we have us some rapid global warming that melts all the ice on the planet....and then some....OH and we would probally still need for an earthquake to knock about 100 miles of the East coast into the sea
0 likes   

LSU2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby LSU2001 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:49 am

I keep a kit for any emergency. I have basic first aid supplies, water, propane, canned and dehydrated food, bleach and a water purifier. I spend a lot of time at my camp and I tend to keep things from my camping and fishing trips. I think that a basic kit is simply smart planning for hurricane season or to have "Just in case" The American Red cross has instructions for building a good basic kit.

http://www.redcross.org/services/disast ... 3_,00.html
Just thought the above would help someone who wants to get prepared.
Tim
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby sunny » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:29 am

But of course :D
0 likes   

NCECOM
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby NCECOM » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:40 pm

As part of the local Ham radio club I teach and preach preparedness. In the beginning I approached it as Hurricane Preparedness at the beginning of the season to get our members ready to deal with storms and be ready to help in a communication emergency.

After I began to look at the different types of emergencies, I changed my approach to general preparedness because I felt that to focus on any one cause was a disservice to the members.
0 likes   

Ground_Zero_92
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby Ground_Zero_92 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:54 pm

Being an avid backpacker, I buy my hurricane supplies when I buy my backpacking supplies. Backpacking/camping season is Oct-May in South/Central Florida (unless you prefer baking in the heat). So my sport and hobby (tracking hurricanes ) seem to go hand in hand.

I recommend that everyone go to a camping supply store or a store like Sports Authority and purchase dehydrated camping food. The stuff tastes great, has a shelf life of over 5 years, and only requires boiling water to prepare. Some meals you can buy are Pasta Primavera, Beef Stew, Lasana with Meat Sauce. They make them in single serving through 5 serving packages. Mountain House is my favorte brand.

Another tip, buy LED headlamps or LED flashlights that use AA batteries. During an emergency, everyone buys D Cell flashlights and you will not be able to find D batteries. Plus LED lights use much less power for the same amount of light. That translates into batteries lasting about 8x-10x longer than regular flashlights.

I am going on my final backpacking trip at the end of this month. After that, my unused supplies become part of my hurricane kit unitil next camping season. I top off whatever I used up by mid May. At the end of hurricane season, my unused (hopefully) hurricane supplies become my backpacking supplies.
0 likes   

CFL
Category 1
Category 1

#18 Postby CFL » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:28 pm

I still have 2 boxes of MREs from Ivan. I believe they have a shelf life of about 5 years as well. I don't have a generator, but to be honest, I don't think I could have found the gasoline to run it after Ivan. For almost a week you couldn't find gas at but a handful of stations, and those stations had some *extremely* long lines. So right now I think I have everything I need except bottled water. I'll buy a 3 or 4 day supply of that next month.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#19 Postby CajunMama » Sun May 01, 2005 1:37 am

I'm like a bunch of other idiots that wait till the last minute running all over town and fighting crowds! There's nothing like watching people fight over the last can of spam! lol j/k
0 likes   

Shinyhead
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Preparations for storm season

#20 Postby Shinyhead » Tue May 03, 2005 8:08 am

Heh,
Our utility room looks like a survivalists storage room. Food, water, tarps lanterns, fuel etc etc. We already have a 3.5KW generator and we are getting a 10KW standby generator permenantly installed.

Guess you could say we take things seriously.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”