Some Prelim Preparation Steps from Storm2K

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

MWatkins
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Some Prelim Preparation Steps from Storm2K

#1 Postby MWatkins » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:19 pm

Here are some common-sense things you can do even with a storm as far out as this one is to prepare. Folks often don't think to do these things...but they are a part of my personal hurricane plan for a storm projected to be 5 or 6 days away. If nothing else it will help some feel like they are doing something to control the situation...for others it just makes sense.

1. Stock up on ice. If you have an ice maker and it is frequently full (like mine)...start dumping ice into other containers or zip loc storage bags and let the ice maker do it's work. If you buy ice...go ahead and get some. If you make it using trays...make as much as you can since this process takes time. Set your freezer on it's coldest setting. If you have a freezer big enough...empty a little water out and freeze some water jugs solid. Of course...you may need to make room...so...

2. Plan meals around eating freezer food. This stuff will go bad if you lose power anyway...so eat it now and make room for the ice...if this storm passes you can always buy more frozen food.

3. Top off water and canned food supplies. Try not to eat any non-perishables during the next few days and save them for when you need them.

4. Make sure you have and know how to use a can opener. Seriously.

5. Get any cash you can while you can...you can always redeposit it if the storm passes...and ATM's are always empty come storm time.

6. Keep your gas tank on full. Top it off as often as you can.

7. Talk about the storm with your family...no need to stress where it's going...but it's a good thing to talk about these things...especially with children...so they do not feel out of control of the situation. Trust me...if the forecast track holds true it will be all over TV and the media soon.

8. Check your batteries and supplies in case there is anything you forgot to add or replace.

9. Top off beer supplies. Oh...maybe I shouldn't have shared that one...oh well...

I'm sure there are more but these are the ones on my checklist. Feel free to add any tips you can think of that are very preliminary in terms of prep steps.

MW - Storm2K Forecast Team
0 likes   

Anonymous

#2 Postby Anonymous » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:28 pm

If you have a house that has gas as a utility, and you evacuate. Be sure to turn off the main gas supply valve to your house in case of the possible destruction of your home. There is nothing worse then emergency workers having to not only deal with downed power lines, but with live wires and gas in the air, it makes for a potentially deadly situation.
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby MSRobi911 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:34 pm

Another couple of things to remember to do:

Keep your clothes washed, impossible to do after a storm.

Find your insurance policies (flood and house and car) and keep them with your other important papers, i.e. marriage license, birth certificates, etc. Don't leave them at home.

We had 2 feet of water inside of my house with Georges and a lot of things were in drawers that were low and got wet.

PS For a funny side....make sure the adjuster that comes after the storm is not from Utah or Arizona and tells you to just take your computer outside and flush it out with the water hose!!! This really happened to us. :roll:
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Lindaloo » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:36 pm

LOL Mary!!

Be sure you take the proper measures to protect your pets. Call your local vet now for reservations to get them to shelter. Please do not leave them behind. Or lock them in sheds outside.
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby MSRobi911 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:39 pm

Linda

He also wanted to know where the salt water was coming from that we talked about being in the refrigerator and AC unit, we took him to the front window of the house and showed him the Gulf of Mexico and explained that was salt water. His reply was "You know, that is probably why the last couple of houses I have gone to have looked at me like I was crazy:, duh ya think?
0 likes   

HurricaneJim
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6 Postby HurricaneJim » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:44 pm

Also, regards pets....

A. Keep their sensitive documents with yours. No shot records, etc and it could be hard to board them if you have to.

B. Stock up on their food too.

C. Have crates. It's the best way to keep them corraled if you have to bug out, the last thing you want when it's time to go is having to hunt all over for the dog or cat. Also, a lot of shelters say "No pets" but with crates, you can sometimes sweet talk your way in.
0 likes   

HurricaneJim
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#7 Postby HurricaneJim » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:54 pm

Also, here is a factor none of the preparedness sites cover (but I do in my workshops).......security.

It didn't make the news, but Charlie saw it's share of post storm looting, just as Andrew did.

In any Disruptive Event, opportunists and other predators are going to come out of the woodwork....count on it.

There are two types; active and passive.

Active includes someone who is looking to physically rob or confront you as well as natural creatures such as water mocassins.

Passive includes bubba the contractor who shows up and trys to charge $23,000 to clear a tree.

For the latter, common sense, a alevel head and a no thank you will suffice.

For the former, you may have to physically defend yourself.

Don't count on police protection or even the abaility to contact them.

Each person will ahve to soul search and develop a realistic picture of just how much physical security they are capable or willing to provide for themselves. This needs to be a very mature process.

With that done, you need to determine the right tools you will need for that task and make sure you are thoroughly trained in their use.....
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#8 Postby southerngale » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:47 pm

Great tips!
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

Doc Seminole

#9 Postby Doc Seminole » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:57 pm

If this does hit the east coast of Florida, I would be willing to help any of you all out if the need arises.

If you would like, send me your email address and I'll put you on my list to contact you prior to landfall.

Norm
Prez22@aol.com
0 likes   

zoeyann
Category 2
Category 2

#10 Postby zoeyann » Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:16 pm

great post with terrific advice. needed to be bumped
0 likes   

ChaserUK
Category 2
Category 2

#11 Postby ChaserUK » Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:23 pm

Yes very good advice Jim altough worrying all the same. I have also heard its a good idea to put sensitive documents etc in your dishwasher - it is waterproof afterall!
0 likes   

ilmc172pilot
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#12 Postby ilmc172pilot » Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:56 pm

FILL BATHTUBS WITH WATER FOR FLUSHING THE TOILET
0 likes   

Tempest
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#13 Postby Tempest » Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:34 pm

I had experienced several hurricanes when I moved to the Charleston area a few months before Hugo. Tried to give people advice on preparing and got laughed at... After Hugo people said they wished they had listened a little better.

Something that's not on many published hurricane plan lists is a TARP. I always have a couple of good size ones on hand. Sam's has a great double pack of large tarps for around $20. Even if you don't have to use them, they come in handy for other things. After Hugo so many houses were water damaged from the loss of shingles or or tree limb damage to the roof. The rains just poured in.

The other thing people forget is heavy work gloves. Lots of clean-up (as we've recently seen with Charley) of dangerous materials after a hurricane. Gloves sure help keep lacerations AND callouses to a minimum.

I prepare for a hurricane by thinking that I'll be camping...in my house. Paper plates and plastic utensils and paper towels are a good idea. If you have a gas grill, make sure it's filled and a second tank is also a good idea. I'll never forget my neighbor's face after Hugo when he realized that his outdoor grill was ELECTRIC! :eek:

Like others said, ICE ICE ICE! It will help keep your food unspoiled a little longer, make your life a lot easier...and help you eat all that steak you just put in your freezer last week. :wink:
FILL YOUR CARS GAS TANKS - You can't do this after a storm with no electricity. If your home is damaged and you need to leave you won't get too far on an empty tank. :(
GET CASH - Besides the fact that they won't be working without electricity, some businesses that are able to open may do so on a cash only basis.
DO LAUNDRY - There will be a load of humidity in the air after the storm, any clothes that are not clean and dry will mildew.
TAKE PICTURES - If not for insurance claims, it's really amazing to look at 'before and after ' pictures of the landscape.
CHARGE BATTERIES in Video and digital cameras.

That's about all I can think of for now. I sure hope that no one NEEDS any of these things, but just knowing that you are ready helps...
Last edited by Tempest on Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

scogor
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#14 Postby scogor » Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:36 pm

And let's not forget (especially MW!!) that sleep deprivation doesn't help any of us!! The storm will still be there in the morning (and the next few mornings after that at the least) so we all should try our best to get at least 6 hours of sleep as we track Frances. If and when we have to make those final preparations, when the adrenaline rush wears off the lack of sleep can really be a problem when it comes to appropriate decision-making.
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby MSRobi911 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:50 pm

Don't put your papers in the dishwasher......take them with you. We had sewage and water in the dishwasher after Georges....also when the water comes up...it pushes the sewers up...thus water in tub is no good.
:lol:
0 likes   

bsuwx
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#16 Postby bsuwx » Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:50 pm

someone mentioned something about this earlier, but not anything specific...

a chainsaw would be a good idea to remove or begin to remove debris on your own.
0 likes   

skyking
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#17 Postby skyking » Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:41 pm

Don't forget to refill your medicines, and keep them
in a plastic container. Get them refilled early, the drug
store runs out of some meds.
0 likes   

BEER980
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby BEER980 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:23 pm

Doc Seminole keep in mind that you may have to bug out being in Daytona. Remember how long it took for people with Floyd.
0 likes   

SeaBrz_FL
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#19 Postby SeaBrz_FL » Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:11 pm

Go tomorrow (or Monday) and check out a stack of books that interest you from the library. Usually you can keep them for three weeks. Nothing to lose (for FREE) even if the storm doesn't affect you.

I thought of this "novel" idea on the morning of Charley's expected hit to our area and found a line of people thinking the same thing. Needless to say, the pickings were slimmer.
0 likes   
Donna/WPB 1960 - terrorized for life :-). Fourth of six generations living on the FL East Coast since the 50's.

SuzieStorm
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#20 Postby SuzieStorm » Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:49 pm

When we thought Charlie would hit on the First Coast, we filled the propane tank for our grill AND stocked up on instant light charcoal as well. We also bought aluminum foil and aluminum pans so that we could cook just about anything in something that would be ok on a direct grill flame.
Bleach is also handy for putting in that water in the tub if necessary.

We have not had a bad one up here since Dora, and we are overdue. I am nervous about this one.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”