SURVIVAL POLL: What was the most.....

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

AL Chili Pepper
Category 3
Category 3

#41 Postby AL Chili Pepper » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:38 am

Alabama Power sucks and Minnesota Power rules.
0 likes   

Texasblu
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#42 Postby Texasblu » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:43 am

To put my house up for sale and move back to Dallas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roflmao:
0 likes   

cinlfla
Category 2
Category 2

Re: SURVIVAL POLL: What was the most.....

#43 Postby cinlfla » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:51 am

dixiebreeze wrote:important thing you learned after surviving a hurricane/tropical storm so far this year:

For example, I learned you can't have too much water or ice or canned tuna :wink: Also, that I HAVE to find a way to make coffee in a power outage!

Folgers Singles heat your water on your grill in a pot and the Folgers single works just like a tea bag : )
Cindy
0 likes   

HurricaneQueen
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#44 Postby HurricaneQueen » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:14 pm

This isn't the best coffee recipe but before we were hit by Luis, I made up lots of coffee in advance and stored it in airtight containers. My hubby figured out you can heat it up by placing a kitchen knife over a candle (in a container) and putting the cup on top of the knife which conducts the heat. It didn't take that long and at the time we thought we had liquid gold!!!! This is only if you are in a real pinch but making coffee ahead is a must, even if you end up having iced coffee.

Ditto on the washing and ironing ahead. It kept me busy during the long wait and it was a long time before those chores got done again!

Fill EVERY container you can find with water including extra sterilized trash cans, pots and pans. You'll need for flushing, rinsing, just because.., etc. Did you know that the average person turns on water everytime they pass a faucet? (well, at least, I do but never realized it until there was no water). It's the same phenomena as turning on the light switch.

As far as filling the bathtub I have mentioned this before but is worth doing again. Make sure you have a plastic stopper to put on top of the drain even though your regular stopper "works". Then use a whole roll of duct tape (I exaggerate here but use lots) to seal the entire opening and then some. It's a B***** to get off but... otherwise the pressure will force the water down the drain and then-no water in the bathtub!!! You would be amazed how wonderful a quick dip in cool water feels after going w/o a/c for a while.

Got lots more but am running out of time right now.

Lynn
0 likes   
GO FLORIDA GATORS

dixiebreeze
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#45 Postby dixiebreeze » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:59 pm

Lynn, marvelous ideas -- will definitely do the coffee trick.
0 likes   

ladygatorslayer
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#46 Postby ladygatorslayer » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:03 pm

Go out and get Gas NOW....As the grind will surely start tommorrow.

I can kinda feel it already, you know, the way the local news stations are starting to talk about Jeanne more today and showing the models that have like 30 lines all pointing at the East Coast of Florida.....I'm on the West, and their already showing it!!

Empty the freezer in anticipation of the power being out, yet, again!

This routine is getting so old, it's hard to imagine anybody that really doesn't know what to do!
0 likes   

CharleySurvivor
Category 1
Category 1

#47 Postby CharleySurvivor » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:05 pm

Fill the bathtub - if you have one - with water. No need to carry water to flush the toilet after :D

My refrigerator has an ice maker, have filled a bunch of bags - no need to run to the store for ice at the last minute :D
0 likes   

Cookiely
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#48 Postby Cookiely » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:30 pm

[quote="CharleySurvivor"]Fill the bathtub - if you have one - with water. No need to carry water to flush the toilet after :D

You must be very lucky because in all my years and umpteen houses, I have never found a bathtub that would hold the water and not drain out. I fill up garbage cans and 30 gallon storage bins with water for the toilet. Also, a good tip for the toilet is to empty the water in the toilet tank and place a plastic bag under the seat and have a bag of lime or as someone suggested cat litter to sprinkle in case you run out of water to use.
0 likes   

CharleySurvivor
Category 1
Category 1

#49 Postby CharleySurvivor » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:36 pm

Read HurricaneQueen's comment on thre bathtub - she explains how to do it right and it really works :D
0 likes   

KG4HPN
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#50 Postby KG4HPN » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:25 pm

* Put photos and other momentos (or your weapons if you're concerned about looting) along with your name and addressin ziploc bags, then lock them inside your dishwasher (if you have one). It's water tight and will float if flooding/storm surge is an issue.

* Charge the batteries for your cordless drill or other tools ahead of time.

* After you empty your fridge and freezer, drape towels over the doors so they will stay open, to prevent mold and mildew.

* Vinegar works well to kill mold/mildew.

* Throw out the futon cushion that the toddler has spilled everything from milk to applesauce on. It won't be worth trying to salvage when you get home! :)

-Jet
0 likes   

HurricaneJim
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#51 Postby HurricaneJim » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:29 pm

after covering Frances, Ivan and now soon Jeanne, a couple things....

Patience and calm. It's infectious and will do everyone good in the days ahead.

Supplies. By now, everyone should know the drill.

Deterence. For those who haven't gotten it through their heads yet.

Inverters to run all the chase vehicle's stuff and lots of household stuff as well. A good genny if you're sitting tight.

DO NOT backfeed the genny without throwing the main, you could kill a power line guy and the rest of his friends will rip you arpart.

Handsaws (sharp ones) don't need gas...neither does a good boarding axe.

Watch the Navy wave height model....there are folks on Pensacola Beach who didn't and paid dearly.

"They told us it was going to hit Mobile...."

No matter, they caught the upswing and all the surge. Was sobering to see it....

Met lots of folks who turned the aftermath into events that brought their families and communties closer together....it's all in the attitude. Storm effects are not going to last forever.
0 likes   

dixiebreeze
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#52 Postby dixiebreeze » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:33 pm

Jet. good tips about dealing with mildew and mold. I spent a lot of time bleaching the mold from fridge doors, etc., after our power was restored.
0 likes   

MomH
Category 1
Category 1

#53 Postby MomH » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:40 pm

Number one daughter came up with a solution to the bathtub water leakage after we realized the stoppers were not going to work. She took a votive candle and set it in the middle of several layers of Saran Wrap. Then she forced the covered candle into the drain while twisting. It sealed it great. Not a drop of water lost for 7 days. We still had running water but I wouldn't empty the tub just in case. We also have a shower in another bathroom and cold showers taken after hot work and just before you climb in bed felt great.

We chose not to do a normal routine -- instead we got up earlier and worked during cooler mornings -- then quit for afternoon (reading, nappings, board games, talking, etc.) -- then worked more in late afternoon and evening when it was again cooler. Spanish cultures have done it for years.

Filled every extra space in the feezers with plastic bottles of water so they would freeze solid before "lights out". Again block ice lasts longer but we could also drink from them as the ice melted.
0 likes   

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#54 Postby alicia-w » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:06 pm

I learned that during the next storm I should let my husband stay home if he wants to, instead of him calling me every 30 minutes on his drive to our refugee location and driving me CRAZY.
0 likes   

kck70
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#55 Postby kck70 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:57 pm

Get an extra order of PROZAC! :eek:
0 likes   

CFL
Category 1
Category 1

#56 Postby CFL » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:53 pm

The gas situation was a nightmare in Pensacola for a few days. Get a couple of gas cans and fill up on gas in advance. If the storm doesn't come your way, you can always just put the extra gas in your car tank as needed. Plenty of people had generators here but had trouble getting the gas to keep it running. Some people waited in lines for 6 hours.
0 likes   

Holly93
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#57 Postby Holly93 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:02 pm

We keep the hoe in the livingroom handy to kill snakes....fire ant killer at all doors....more baby wipes, hand sanatizer, paper plates than you think you will ever use, washing machine makes great cooler...and at least 2 flashlights per person. And at least 2 extra sheets of plywood.
0 likes   

anjou
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#58 Postby anjou » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:29 pm

cswitwer wrote:Coffee tip: Purjava sells liquid concentrated coffee. Put in hot water, stir and go. It's not like instant coffee-- much smoother. You could probably even make it in tepid water and not fare too badly.

And if really rushed and REALLY not much of a cook- check the soda aisle for Starbucks refrigerated coffee and espresso etc. Usually it's presweetened and pre-lightened - good cold or warm, and it's sterile.. that is if you don't like the taste of powdered creamer it's one way to have palatable (okay posh) coffee. Normally I don't really like Starbucks but this kind of thing would definitely do in a pinch.. you could even splurge to buy a bunch, and stash 'em in your freezer before the catastrophe (test one just to make sure they don't pop, first, however)...
0 likes   

dixiebreeze
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#59 Postby dixiebreeze » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:57 pm

Anjou, that tip is worth a test run. 8-) :)
0 likes   

anjou
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#60 Postby anjou » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:39 am

:D
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”