DO YOU HAVE A HURRICANE KIT??

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Rainband

DO YOU HAVE A HURRICANE KIT??

#1 Postby Rainband » Wed May 14, 2003 5:31 pm

To be honest!!!! NO..I am one of those who puts this off to the last minute. I think that if we are in need of one the stores around here will be quiet due to the large degree of complancency!! I hope I don't get caught with my pants down..so to speak :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: Anyhow..do you have yours???
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#2 Postby cycloneye » Wed May 14, 2003 5:36 pm

I have mines ready for anything that may happen here in Puerto Rico and I prepare early on june 1.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

ColdFront77

#3 Postby ColdFront77 » Wed May 14, 2003 6:05 pm

We don't have an official Hurricane Disaster Kit, I am not sure if most people have one. When a storm is forecast to hit the area, I am sure my parents and I will get the necessary items.
Last edited by ColdFront77 on Wed May 14, 2003 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby mf_dolphin » Wed May 14, 2003 6:11 pm

We have the basics. It's about time for the annual review though! :-)
0 likes   

Kevin_Wx

#5 Postby Kevin_Wx » Wed May 14, 2003 6:20 pm

Hurricane kit, eh? You must be talking about a six pack of beer and potato chips. :lol:
0 likes   

Rainband

#6 Postby Rainband » Wed May 14, 2003 6:23 pm

Kevin_Wx wrote:Hurricane kit, eh? You must be talking about a six pack of beer and potato chips. :lol:
LMAOOTF!!! you mean a case!!!! :wink:
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#7 Postby vbhoutex » Thu May 15, 2003 12:05 am

Yes I do. It is time to review and see what needs to be added/replaced. Of course, being the amatuer I am I had forgotten about the necessity of having a case of beer and chips!! :roll: :lol: :wink:

Now answer me this. How many of you are scoffed at by members of your family for preparing one?
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

ColdFront77

#8 Postby ColdFront77 » Thu May 15, 2003 12:27 am

I am not sure if I would be scoffed, it isn't something you think about having, although I think it is a good idea. Those that live along the coast and several miles inland are more likely have one and rightly so.
0 likes   

isobar
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby isobar » Thu May 15, 2003 12:51 am

vbhoutex wrote:Now answer me this. How many of you are scoffed at by members of your family for preparing one?

I hope you never need it, but if you do, we know who will NOT be standing in long lines.......that is, if you're lucky enough to find a single battery or bottle of water in town. You'll be everyone's hero! :D
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#10 Postby vbhoutex » Thu May 15, 2003 1:04 am

You are right about that Donna!! I've seen and done enough of that in my life. Don't want to be in that situation again. One thing I do need to do is get some plywood and screws for a few of the windows that are more exposed. I am not as adamant about that as I would be if I lived closer to the coast, but I do have a couple of windows that are larger and exposed more. My biggest problem in a Hurricane is the multiple LARGE TREES I have all around my house. They are great for the cooling bill, but hell on gutters, roofs, and power lines in severe weather.

Btw, my kit includes 2 battery powered tv's. One has a radio also. And of course I have my Noaa radio.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

isobar
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby isobar » Thu May 15, 2003 1:49 am

Yeah David, sounds like those trees could cause some problems. And you're close enough to the coast where even a slow moving cane would maintain much strength.
You're probably familiar with the Inland Wind Model. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutmeow_text.html
Now hurry and stock up on the beer and chips! :wink:
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#12 Postby ColdFront77 » Thu May 15, 2003 2:30 am

Donna, thank you for posting the link to the "Maximum Envelop of Wind" (MEOW)... I have heard of it (and knew that they consisted of maps), but never actually saw the specifics of it with the maps. :) I bookmarked it. :D
Last edited by ColdFront77 on Thu May 15, 2003 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#13 Postby vbhoutex » Thu May 15, 2003 2:34 am

I knew the inland wind model existed, and had seen some maps from it, but had not seen a good link to it. Thanks!
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

jabber
Category 2
Category 2

I get teased by my family

#14 Postby jabber » Thu May 15, 2003 8:08 am

From time to time.... but I do have a kit and need to update it for the season. It has the normal stuff, batterys, radios, first aid kit, Portable TV, etc. I have also started collecting more portable cooking equipment and a filled spare propane tank for the outside grill. Last time we had a watch I could not get propane anywhere.

vbhoutex wrote:Yes I do. It is time to review and see what needs to be added/replaced. Of course, being the amatuer I am I had forgotten about the necessity of having a case of beer and chips!! :roll: :lol: :wink:

Now answer me this. How many of you are scoffed at by members of your family for preparing one?
0 likes   

GulfBreezer
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby GulfBreezer » Thu May 15, 2003 3:23 pm

I do have most of the necessary items around my house. Being scoffed at will not happen any more, last year I had to practically beg family members to listen to me and they were very glad that they did. All the info I got was from you guys, so what little preparing we did have to do was a direct result of your knowledge. 2 Tropical Storms in 2 weeks here made things a little damp! Then watching Lili, well, I am glad I have you guys!
S2K IS PART OF MY HURRICANE KIT!!
0 likes   

deb_in_nc
Category 3
Category 3

#16 Postby deb_in_nc » Thu May 15, 2003 5:53 pm

I will probably begin getting it together this week-end. When Irene came through I had 60 gallons of water for 4 people. CASES of food.Had about 20 4 packs of batteries. I was so prepared I could have started my own store. Yeah, you could say I prepare.

Debbie
0 likes   

deb_in_nc
Category 3
Category 3

#17 Postby deb_in_nc » Thu May 15, 2003 5:55 pm

Oh yeah. I do get scoffed at by everyone.

Debbie
0 likes   

rockythehusky
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: DO YOU HAVE A HURRICANE KIT??

#18 Postby rockythehusky » Wed May 18, 2005 11:53 am

Rainband wrote:To be honest!!!! NO..I am one of those who puts this off to the last minute. I think that if we are in need of one the stores around here will be quiet due to the large degree of complancency!! I hope I don't get caught with my pants down..so to speak :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: Anyhow..do you have yours???

Wow, this is from 2 years ago!!! I bet your answer will change for this year, after what happened last year :wink:
0 likes   

CFL
Category 1
Category 1

#19 Postby CFL » Wed May 18, 2005 12:00 pm

Nobody I know in Pensacola will scoff anymore! I know there was a survey recently that said people were complacent this year about preparations, but this has not been my experience in talking with my neighbors.
0 likes   

drudd1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#20 Postby drudd1 » Wed May 18, 2005 7:08 pm

Each year I prepared for the hurricane that never happened. I think this always gave my wife a little chuckle, and other than a mild passing interest, my kids didn't pay it much mind. Once a month my nextdoor neighbor would poke fun at me for starting my generator and letting it run for 20 minutes. This was to make sure it was ready when needed, but he thought I was a bit paranoid.

My how things have changed!

We now have a small interior closet dedicated to hurricane supplies, with everything on shelves and neatly arranged. My wife's idea. Everything has already been reveiwed by my wife, son, and daughter, in case I have forgotten anything. My neighbor uses my monthly generator ritual as a reminder to fire his up.

So the answer is definately yes. We have always had one, and always will. The only difference is that now I have a lot more help getting prepared :D
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”