Basic preparations for every season

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

MyrtleBeachGal
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#41 Postby MyrtleBeachGal » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:08 pm

My husband's retired military and we've added alot of items that he used when in Iraq to our hurricane list -
baby wipes (because you don't know when the next time will be before you can shower)
Hand Sanitizer (because it's better than using precious water to just wash your hands)
sunscreen
a bottle of saline or similar to flush eyes in case you get something in them (because your water might not be drinkable after a hurricane, much less usable in your eyes for flushing out foreign objects)
camera film (and camera) in a ziplock bag (for taking after hurricane pictures of property damage for your homeowner's insurance
water can't be emphasized enough, but it is also nice to have gatorade powder or similar drink mix to mix with the water. I found I needed that to keep my sugar balanced somewhat during the day.
Bug Spray (because there WILL be biting bugs after a hurricane)
0 likes   

HurricaneJim
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Security issues

#42 Postby HurricaneJim » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:26 pm

As many saw after Katrina, urban areas can become real security nightmares and you don't need a flood to turn the anarchy on...a blackout works just fine.

I got to see this breakdown in social order firsthand and it wasn't pretty. However, as a war correspondent, I've had a bit of practice in this and came prepared. For many others, it was a very rude suprise.

Hence, be mindful of personnal security issues in the aftermath of any such event.

EXPECT local PD to be overwhelmed for the first few days. They're going to have their hands full with rescue and aid stations...not standing guard in your neighborhood..

EXPECT predatory elements to take advantage of this...

The preparedness info from Red Cross and FEMA don't say much about this, for liability reasons I'm sure.

However...when push comes to shove, YOU are responsible for your own security until things settle down.

It pays to bone up on local laws in this regard, what you can and cannot do, etc.

Approach the subject with maturity, reason and common sense, but approach it nonetheless.

Jim
"Chase Team Katrina 2005"
http://www.UKWeatherworld.co.uk
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#43 Postby DanKellFla » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:14 pm

Now this isn't a necesity, but plastic utensils and paper plates came in very handy after the storms. It is so much easier to just toss it than add one more chore to an already busy time.
0 likes   

Alladin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#44 Postby Alladin » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:22 pm

There are several things I'd like to add to the list. Baby wipes are nice for bathing but a product called "Comfort Bath" is much better. They are ultra-thick premoistened washcloths. You can heat them up in the sun or a microwave (if you have a generator). They are sold 8 to a pack at major retailers such as Wal-Mart.

Another great device is a battery operated fluorescent lamp. I have 4 of these. They put out a lot of light. Some take 8 D-cells while others run on 4 D-cells. I highly recommend these because they are portable.

In addition, if you have a portable generator, don't use regular incandescent lights. They use far too much power. You're better off using compact fluorescent bulbs. A typical 26 watt bulb puts out 1,700 lumens (the equivalent of a normal 100 watt bulb).
0 likes   

Cookiely
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#45 Postby Cookiely » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:54 am

I saw an ad for a flashlight that doesn't need batteries. You shake the flashlight!!! Has anyone ever used one of these? How long does the light last between shakes??? Do they work well?
0 likes   

skysummit
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#46 Postby skysummit » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:31 am

Cookiely wrote:I saw an ad for a flashlight that doesn't need batteries. You shake the flashlight!!! Has anyone ever used one of these? How long does the light last between shakes??? Do they work well?

I have a few of them. They work pretty well. You do have to shake it quite a bit for them to stay bright for a while though. It's not a flashlight that you would leave on for a long period of time. It's more of a flashlight that you'd just grab to go into a dark room or hallway or something. The light in mine is an LED light. It gives off a different type of light than a normal lightbulb. I do like mine. It stays near the bed and is very handy because you know you'll never have dead batteries in them.
0 likes   

Cookiely
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#47 Postby Cookiely » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:09 pm

skysummit wrote:
Cookiely wrote:I saw an ad for a flashlight that doesn't need batteries. You shake the flashlight!!! Has anyone ever used one of these? How long does the light last between shakes??? Do they work well?

I have a few of them. They work pretty well. You do have to shake it quite a bit for them to stay bright for a while though. It's not a flashlight that you would leave on for a long period of time. It's more of a flashlight that you'd just grab to go into a dark room or hallway or something. The light in mine is an LED light. It gives off a different type of light than a normal lightbulb. I do like mine. It stays near the bed and is very handy because you know you'll never have dead batteries in them.

Thanks for the info.
0 likes   

Chally
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#48 Postby Chally » Mon May 15, 2006 10:33 am

Battery powered fans! These really came in handy the last 2 years. They are inexpensive and you can find them at Wally world or Walgreens.

Also battery powered lanterns. No flame like candle so much safer and they lasted a good long time.
0 likes   

HurricaneQueen
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#49 Postby HurricaneQueen » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:30 pm

After Charley and Wilma we were without electricity for about 5 days each. During that time we ran our generator each evening when we were home. It was placed out on the far end of a back patio but I still worried above fumes getting in the house since you can't close the sliding door completely because of the cord. I placed a CO2 detector right next to the door just to make certain nothing was getting into the house.

During the hours we ran the generator we made certain that everything got charged (cellphones, laptop, iPod, etc.) and the refrigerator was kept cold. We also had a large fan and some lights. About 1/2 hour before going to bed we turned it off to let it cool down and rolled it inside the door for safe keeping.

I also made good use of a small inverter each time I was in the car. It is the only way I have found to charge the laptop without a generator. I'm thinking about getting a marine battery and charger and a larger inverter to run when a generator isn't practical. I've been researching these for the last couple of days and was amazed at what can be run off of them. I'm guessing you can run the charger with the generator to recharge the battery.

Also, I have discovered that Energizer e2 Lithium batteries last much longer than regular batteries for smaller items such as a portable TV, radio, etc. They are more expensive but worth it to me. The electricity went off where we evacuated last year and every 2 hours, I had to change the batteries in the small TV.

Happy 4th , everyone

HQ
0 likes   
GO FLORIDA GATORS

whereverwx
Category 5
Category 5

#50 Postby whereverwx » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:27 am

Because it matters*, I was able to find the source of the article on Google... It was written by Jack Williams from USATODAY.com...
Click here to go to the article

*Also refer to this...
0 likes   

raindrops68
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#51 Postby raindrops68 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:31 pm

Last year I didnt want to get out when Rita was coming, good thing I didnt either major traffic jam even in our small town. So I took 1 gallon water jugs I had saved. I had about 4 of them. Filled them up with water and kept them in the freezer. Just an idea when you know ice will be a precious item.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#52 Postby cycloneye » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:09 pm

calamity wrote:Because it matters*, I was able to find the source of the article on Google... It was written by Jack Williams from USATODAY.com...
Click here to go to the article

*Also refer to this...

Very good that you cited the source of the information. :)
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#53 Postby wxman57 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:15 pm

Here's an interesting new product. I met Kristen Nevils at the NHC. Her company, M.R. Crafts, Inc. has a new way to store water. It's called a "WATERSAFE" See the link below:

http://www.mywatersafe.com

Basically, it's a giant plastic bladder that you set in your bathtub. There's a hose that connects to the tub faucet, allowing you to fill it up with up to 65 gallons of clean, drinkable water. As the bag fills, it takes the shape of your bathtub. A pump is attached to the top of the bag so that you can fill other containers (like a glass or a pot) with water very easily. There is a smaller version for a kitchen sink. You CAN just use your bathtub as a storage tank, but there are problems. First, the tub isn't sanitary, so you can only use the stored water for cleaning up and for flushing the toilet. Second, most tub drains leak. This storage device will store water for quite a while. And it folds up into a fairly small size when empty. Much better than buying 65 1-gallon jugs of water at the store, and you can wait until the last minute to fill it up.

Kristen sent me a free sample of both containers. Pretty neat.
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#54 Postby DanKellFla » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:09 pm

I bought some plastic rubbermaid containers that I use to store my hurricane kit. I fill them with water when they are empty. But, I have to clean them first. I think mine hold 25 gallons each. I got mine on sale for cheap. But, at list price :uarrow: , they hold less water for more money. And, they are a pain to fill. That looks to be a really neat product for a reasonable price.
Last edited by DanKellFla on Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

dizzyfish
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#55 Postby dizzyfish » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:24 am

wxman57 - Do you happen to know how easy they are to dry out after they are used?

I happened to see the watersafe on the local news a couple of weeks ago and thought it was a good idea too. I am just about ready to order one but was wondering about how you would dry it out/clean it out. The website doesn't go into detail about drying out or re-use.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#56 Postby wxman57 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:00 am

dizzyfish wrote:wxman57 - Do you happen to know how easy they are to dry out after they are used?

I happened to see the watersafe on the local news a couple of weeks ago and thought it was a good idea too. I am just about ready to order one but was wondering about how you would dry it out/clean it out. The website doesn't go into detail about drying out or re-use.

I was wondering about that, too. I figure they're kind of like the "camelbak" I use while bicycling. Just empty it and hang it upside-down to drain any water out and dry it. Maybe use a hair dryer to blow warm air inside? The only time you'll use it will be in the hours beore you're hit. I'll ask the manufacturer rep how to dry it.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#57 Postby wxman57 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:13 pm

I checked with Kristen about the Watersafe product. As you can see from here reply below, it's a one-time use product (at least legally). You'll only fill it up in the last hour before the big one hits. Chances are, that won't happen for years and years (unless you're in south Florida or the Carolinas).

Hi!

Glad you asked…

The Watersafe is manufactured for one time use only. If someone uses it and tries to dry it out – and it gets mildew, I cannot be liable if they get sick. However, I can dry mine out by using the pump I blow up my air mattress with. It is possible, but I can’t legally recommend that someone reuse theirs. That is why I tell people to buy the Watersafe (or several of them), store them on a shelf (or in their hurricane kit) and fill it with water as the storm is approaching. That way, they don’t have to worry about water at all and they will only use it if they have to. If the storm turns 3 hours earlier, they didn’t fill it up and can use it for the next storm. Meanwhile, people who did purchase numerous gallon of water are stuck tripping over them for weeks, if not months.

Kristen
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#58 Postby MGC » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:45 pm

Tons of good advise. I found that after Katrina the recommended hurricane survival supplies were totally inaquate. Gasoline by far in the most important commity. I suggest purchasing at least a half dozen 5 gallon plastic gas containers and when the big one approaches fill them up. Gas was unavailable after Katrina for quiet a while. You will be surprised how thirsty a gas powered generator is. Food and water were not the biggest issue. FEMA set up distribution stations where you could pick up as much food and water your car would hold provided you had gas to drive there......MGC
0 likes   

dizzyfish
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#59 Postby dizzyfish » Tue May 01, 2007 6:01 am

Thanks wxman57!

I was thinking along the same lines myself. Hubby said maybe to rinse with bleach water - but I don't know how the plastic would handle it.

I appreciate your response and searching out an answer for me. You rock!!!!! 8-)
0 likes   

Janie2006
Category 5
Category 5

#60 Postby Janie2006 » Wed May 09, 2007 9:56 pm

Hrmmmm. I always stock up on canned goods and all of those things for the season, however I'm wondering about MREs. I was thinking it might not be a bad idea to find some of those things for hurricanes (or any other sort of disaster). Anyone have ideas about where I can find some for sale? Army/Navy stores?
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”