Basic preparations for every season

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

NativeFloridaGirl
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#61 Postby NativeFloridaGirl » Thu May 10, 2007 5:55 pm

Janie2006 wrote:Hrmmmm. I always stock up on canned goods and all of those things for the season, however I'm wondering about MREs. I was thinking it might not be a bad idea to find some of those things for hurricanes (or any other sort of disaster). Anyone have ideas about where I can find some for sale? Army/Navy stores?

This is where I got my MRE's. http://www.safetycentral.com/mremealeatsi.html
0 likes   

wobblehead
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#62 Postby wobblehead » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:31 pm

I found some valuable info. about roofing. Trim roofing shingles on the roof edges to extend 1/4" beyond the eve strip( metal strip around edge of roof) and put 3 dabs of roofing cement under each shingle on the edges to ensure they stay attached. Once you lose the edge shingles in a storm it creates a domino affect and all other shingles begin to rip off. I have first hand experience with this.
0 likes   

NewOrleansMom
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: Basic preparations for every season

#63 Postby NewOrleansMom » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:55 am

I can't say it enough...have as much cold hard cash on hand as possible before the storm hits.

If a storm knocks the power out in your area or an area you have evacuated to and although you may be able to find a few grocery stores and gas stations open, most of them will accept nothing but CASH because they will be running on generators.

For Katrina, the area where we evacuated to had no power or water for almost two weeks.
If you run out of supplies, you will, in all probability, need cash. And you will need gas for you car in order to find those supplies. We had to travel two towns away to find an open grocery store. It's a never ending chase to find your daily needs!

It was soooo hot for weeks on end that gas cans went first because everyone was using generators and everyone was trying to stock up on gas...and that was only when you were lucky enough to find a station selling gas or could get to the front of the line before the gas ran out. GAS WAS IN HUGE DEMAND! It took us 8 days to find a place that had a few gas cans and then they were selling $5.00 cans for $17.00 a piece. (Another thread entirely)

As for generators...people were traveling all the way from Louisiana and Mississippi to Tennessee to buy generators. They were in HIGH demand and people were willing to pay almost anything to get one.
After being allowed to return to New Orleans, our home had no electricity for over a month. Get a generator now, if you can.

As for telephones, our land phone worked, although we had no elec, gas, or water... we had phone service! LOL Cell phones didn't work, but text messaging did work and so did the cell phones that have those built-in push button type walkie talkies. In case you're lucky enough to have regular phone service, try to have an old fashion type phone, not cordless (they require electricity to work).

Just a few things I remember vividly. Thought I'd share...hope this helps some and good luck to everyone living along the coastlines this hurricane season.
0 likes   

NewOrleansMom
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re:

#64 Postby NewOrleansMom » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:01 am

NativeFloridaGirl wrote:
Janie2006 wrote:Hrmmmm. I always stock up on canned goods and all of those things for the season, however I'm wondering about MREs. I was thinking it might not be a bad idea to find some of those things for hurricanes (or any other sort of disaster). Anyone have ideas about where I can find some for sale? Army/Navy stores?

This is where I got my MRE's. http://www.safetycentral.com/mremealeatsi.html

A google search will show you quite a few sites that sell MREs. I've also seen them sold on EBay.
They are pretty tasty and include everything you need for a complete meal from a special bag that heats the food, to a moist towelette, salt and pepper, and even M & M's or some other kind of treat. They even have instant coffee, tea, and orange drink mix in them.
0 likes   

sarah bellum
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#65 Postby sarah bellum » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:32 pm

I second the suggestion to have plenty of cash. After Katrina, lack of electricity and out of service phone lines made accessing account info impossible.

Have fix-a flat or some sort of means to repair a flat tire. Many were getting flat tires due to driving over debris and frayed power lines. Nothing was open to repair a tire.

Get some of those solar charged garden lights. Put them outside to charge during the day and use them at night for light (saves on batteries). Get some 2 liter bottles to put them in when you bring them inside.
0 likes   

kranki
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#66 Postby kranki » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:31 am

I do several things before the season. Probably most have already have been mentioned, but some are unique to my house. Most of the important ones for me are:

1. Remove the rotating ball vent on the roof and cap it. (It only serves an outside grill which really has quite a bit of ventilation.)

2. Clean up the garages elevating the stuff that I left on the ground during the off-season months. (I have several shelving units that I have built and secured to the ceiling so hopefully they don't tip over in a surge.)

3. Pick up the yard and knock off all the loose/old coconuts. I am trying leaving the other coconuts on this year. The coconuts have to be dealt with in June/July and September since they grow back.

4. Check the storm shutter equipment to insure that I have enough wing-nuts, etc.

5. Insure that I have a couple bottles (3 or 5 gal, can't remember) for the outside grill if the main gas line fails.

6. Fill my 5gal gas cans (30 gals) and add stabilizer.

7. Fill the 400gal diesel tank for the generator. Keeping it full helps but doesn't totally alleviate it pulling up its bolts and smashing into something if we get a high storm surge which apparently we have not seen for about 100 years in this area.

8. Accumulate a couple thousand dollars in varying denominations, mostly smaller bills. Used to save only $100s, but getting change after a storm can be a problem and I have a safe in the house which is reasonably secure.

9. Stock up on canned goods especially vegetables (which my wife and I hate, but are a good source of additional fluids) and get several gallons of bottled water. (I also fill several 5 gal jugs just prior to a storm which is much cheaper than buying bottled water.)

10. Insure the painted axe in the ceiling crawl space is there and functional.

11. Get/replace my battery stock of various sizes.

Just before a storm I have a list which starts at the roof and works its way down the house and finally in the garages, the yard and the boat. (I have a flat roof. So, there are a few things up there that most people probably will not have.)

I also have a check list for after a storm such as cleaning the roof drains so that I don't get a (another :cry: ) leak in the house.

Sorry for this being long, but hope that it helps.
0 likes   

kranki
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#67 Postby kranki » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:54 am

I thought about mre's, etc. But they are only (officially) good for 2 years; dehydrated was 5 years as I remember. Canned goods however last an extremely long time and if the can is not bulging are probably still good. So, that is what we have chosen to do.
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#68 Postby Dionne » Fri May 30, 2008 7:38 am

Seems like a good day to fill the gasoline stash jugs. 20 gallons will be $80. Might as well get some bottled water back on reserve.....that'll be $5 a case......I'll get 4 cases. While I'm at it.....one of those handcrank NOAA radios/flashlight for $20 is on the list.
0 likes   

kranki
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#69 Postby kranki » Sat May 31, 2008 7:55 pm

My first preparation is to give $ to Storm2K so that they are here when I need them. I rely heavily on this site for up-to-date information both before and during storms which comes from the people who best understand hurricanes. Just my 2¢.
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#70 Postby Frank P » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:40 pm

Not sure if anybody posted this idea... one good way to store water for flushing toilets or none sanitary cleaning is to use your garbage dumpster... I cleaned mine out today with a ton of chemicals, seem all perty rat now... seal the attach point with silicone, that's the little bar that the garbage truck attaches to that lifts the bin to empty it, its about half way up the container, so it shouldn't leak in the short term... I guess it should hold about 30-40 gallons of water at best... all you would have to have is a small 1 or 2 gallon bucket to dip the water out of the garbage bin and use could use to flush your toilet or non sanitary cleaning, you could put a rope on the bucket and lower when the water levels get low.... lets see 30-40 gallons might serve my wife's needs for about two days.. :lol:

I also will be sealing my Gorrell armor plus glass with water resistant duct tape... I don't have to plywood them but they will leak if exposed to hurricane force rain driven winds., all windows leak when exposed to hurricane force winds... you need to seal the entire perimeter of the part of the window that opens. mine only open on the bottom half.. make sure you clean the area first prior to putting the duct tape on.

Frank P
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#71 Postby cycloneye » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:11 pm

kranki wrote:My first preparation is to give $ to Storm2K so that they are here when I need them. I rely heavily on this site for up-to-date information both before and during storms which comes from the people who best understand hurricanes. Just my 2¢.

Thank you for those words of encouragement to us.We will continue to do our best to keep the members informed with our great team of proffesional meteorlogists.
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#72 Postby Hurricaneman » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:47 am

1. I always buy candles when a threat arises
2. always have a generator on standby
3. buy non perishable items
4. gas up the car because there may not be gas for a while
0 likes   

jereld33
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Re:

#73 Postby jereld33 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:41 am

Can i ask what are the impacts on hurricanes on society?
0 likes   

lonelymike
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#74 Postby lonelymike » Sat May 29, 2010 7:06 am

As far as roofs go...if u have the money invest in a metal roof. It's more expensive than shingle but they are much more sturdy and will last longer than shingles.
0 likes   

GO SEMINOLES

KatDaddy
Category 5
Category 5

#75 Postby KatDaddy » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:50 pm

Hurricane prepardness time is now. For the Houston-Galveston area Storm Guardian Generators will make life easier and cooler when it counts.

http://shop.stormgg.com/index.php
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

alphaman
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#76 Postby alphaman » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:45 pm

great post everyone, thanks for the great info!
0 likes   

greels
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#77 Postby greels » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:55 am

Question that needs immediate attention.......advice desperately needed.....

We have a cord and 1/2 of wood stored beside our cottage. We live directly on a river here. We have made all the necessary preparations as far as securing items that might be airborne during Earl but are at a complete loss as to what to do regarding this wood. We do not have a swimming pool that we could throw it into or enough storage area beneath our cotttage to store it (we expect that area to flood as a given).

Tarps with bungee cords perhaps? Stakes to secure tarps? Cords of wood are up on pallets so we have something we could secure the bungee cords to ....

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated as we are at a total loss at the moment for a good solution...

Thank you.....
Gretchen
0 likes   

greels
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#78 Postby greels » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:22 pm

I mistakenly posted my thank you on the wrong thread...apologies....

First of all, I wish to thank those who offered advice to my dilemma of what to do with the cord and 1/2 of wood stacked quite high adjacent to our cottage. We're living directly on a river feeding out into to the Atlantic and with it's location and close proximity to the water and nothing to create a buffer from the wind (our late summer N'oreaster last week brought down quite a few tree limbs and flooding...) we are concerned of the effects of the winds from Earl and whether or not the wood, would in fact become airborne.

After brainstorming for a bit, we decided to shrink wrap the wood......cover it with tarps and then rope it to the pallets on which it sits. We believe this will solve our problem. In place, it should go nowhere and create any type of hazard to our neighbors.

I will report on how this solution worked out once Earl has passed. Once again, those who replied to me with private PM's I truly appreciate.

I pray for the safety of all those now in the path of Earl.....may you remain safe and exercise caution.

Have a nice evening.
Gretchen
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#79 Postby artist » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:32 pm

anyone have any new tips for preping? :cheesy:
0 likes   

KBBOCA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Formerly Boca Raton, often West Africa. Currently Charlotte NC

#80 Postby KBBOCA » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:51 pm

I just saw while following Twitter re: Isaac that the Red Cross has some special apps to help with Hurricanes:

American Red Cross ‏@RedCross
Our hurricane app also features info on #RedCross shelters, a toolkit w flashlight, strobe light, alarm http://rdcrss.org/Py9tHU #Isaac

American Red Cross ‏@RedCross
In our Hurricane App, there's a one-touch “I’m Safe” button to let family, friends know u are okay. #Isaac http://rdcrss.org/Py9tHU

very cool to see technology put to such good use!
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”