Are our emergency response services adequate?

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

jpigott
Category 2
Category 2

Are our emergency response services adequate?

#1 Postby jpigott » Mon May 02, 2005 1:00 pm

I want to preface this thread by stating it is not my intent to be fear-mongering. What can we expect in this day and age should a CAT 4-5 come ashore in greater Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Tampa/St. Pete or New Orleans?
It is my understanding that the general concensus is that we are in the midst of a more active tropical cycle like was seen in the 1920s-1960s, where many destructive hurricanes made landfall. Problem is now in 2005 the population/development of the above mentioned areas has exploded. What if that 5-10 mile extreme damage path found in the northern eyewalls of Andrew and Charley had gone through downtown Miami rather than Homestead or through Tampa/St. Pete rather than Punta Gorda.
Here in northern Palm Beach County we were on the "backside" of both Frances and Jeanne. And while emergency response teams did an adequate job clearing off roads, restoring power/water, etc. I can't imagine the manpower that would be required to restore services if a major metro/commercial/residential area found itself in the northern eyewall of a CAT4-5. I guess what i'm asking is what to expect should a worse case scenario event occur in terms of restoration of services, supplies, etc.?
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby x-y-no » Mon May 02, 2005 2:19 pm

Well, I always set up my hurricane kit with everything I need to fend entirely for myself for 10 days, minimum. Now that's probably double what is really needed, but that way I can take care of an extra person if it comes to that.

IIRC, it was Thursday afternoon before any significant number of NG arrived after Andrew (IOW 3 1/2 days) and it was Saturday or Sunday before the major airlifts of supplies were coming in to the areas south of me.

I was north of the worst part - in South Miami a mile west of the old Hurricane Center, conditions were strong Cat. 3 there on the ground - and I didn't get power back for nearly 2 weeks.
0 likes   

jpigott
Category 2
Category 2

#3 Postby jpigott » Mon May 02, 2005 2:41 pm

that sounds about right, I was without power for just a couple days after each storm and we "only" experienced CAT 1 conditions for Frances and lower CAT 2 conditions in Jeanne. Frances - also dealt with gas shortages. Fortunately, didn't have the problems many did getting food and water b/c I also had my hurricane kit/supplies stocked.
0 likes   

SeaBrz_FL
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby SeaBrz_FL » Fri May 06, 2005 6:58 pm

jpigott --

The true test is no longer "can they/will they be adequate for a Cat/3/4 or 5?"

The new test is much tougher: "How quickly can they react to a major storm, recover and get back in place for the one on the horizon?"

The answer to your question about road clearing and utility recovery depends on when the last storm hit.

You haven't had a major storm in FLL for many years so it's going to be a big impact when one hits, but after that one you'll be more prepared for the next ones. The first big one (our Frances) takes care of weak trees and vegetation, obsolete power grid pieces, and other old stuff that should have been replaced. Our streets were COVERED with unpassable debris for many days.

When Jeanne hit almost 3 weeks later, there was no impact for most of us. I didn't even have a twig to sweep up although Jeanne was a category higher than Frances. After Jeanne, our streets were passable immediately.

Also, I never lost cable or power from Jeanne (the BIGGER storm) because all my grid power structure was replaced after Frances.

HTH,
SB
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

#5 Postby Persepone » Sun May 08, 2005 1:29 pm

x-y-no wrote:Well, I always set up my hurricane kit with everything I need to fend entirely for myself for 10 days, minimum. Now that's probably double what is really needed, but that way I can take care of an extra person if it comes to that.

I think that is a really clear-headed approach to a hurricane kit. I like the idea of having "everything you need" and perhaps extra so that if it comes to that you can help others.

My opinion (and it is perhaps not relevant because I do not live in Florida, but it based on having been through several hurricanes) is that you should not depend upon "emergency services" but should be as self-reliant and as prepared as possible. And if you can help someone else, that is wonderful. The idea is valid regardless of whether you have to evacuate or whether you can stay put and ride it out.

There are people who genuinely need the emergency services (the elderly, the disabled, etc.) but from my experience, there are a lot of people who have some idea that they don't have to help themselves and I don't have a lot of sympathy for those who don't prepare and who then complain about emergency services being slow to arrive. But if you are able, I think it is a responsibility to be as prepared as you can.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”