Time to get renter's insurance

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

Time to get renter's insurance

#1 Postby GalvestonDuck » Wed May 11, 2005 4:17 pm

Ever since Allison struck bright and early in the season, I've had renter's insurance (even during the non-tropical months). I lost one computer because of a lightning strike (pre-Allison storm) and wasn't able to get it replaced. But now, everything is covered for fire, windstorm, theft, terrorist attack, earthquake, tornado, lightning, out of control vehicle, plane, meteor, falling tree, or alien invasion.

If you rent your home or apartment, I strongly advise you call around NOW and find out about renter's insurance if you don't already have it. Most companies can cover $10,000 worth of contents for about $20 -- give or take a couple of dollars. Remember, your landlord has insurance on the building and property. That doesn't cover your stuff. In the event of an impending disaster, hardly any of us could possibly pack everything we own, right? Personally, I plan on taking my hurricane supplies, my family mementos, my hard drive, a handful of select irreplacable items, and me. That means, if a hurricane hits, I might lose furniture, dishes, clothes, TV, bed, movies, music, and books (all the stuff I didn't take). I might not be able to get exactly what I had before, but I will be able to replace them because they're covered by renter's
insurance.

Don't wait until June to get in touch with an agent. If a storm develops and is already in a certain proximity to your area, like Allison was for us Hou/Galvers, the company won't issue a policy.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”