Advice on roll down storm shutters

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Windswept
Category 1
Category 1

Advice on roll down storm shutters

#1 Postby Windswept » Sun May 15, 2005 1:10 pm

We have 15 windows on our home.
4 on the front (north)
4 on the side (east)
6 on the back ( south)
1 on the other side ( west)
Plus 3 sliding glass doors (1 north, 2 south)

We have discussed installing roll down hurricane shutters, but the cost is prohibitive - at least to do it all at once.

We could break it up and do one side per year or maybe 1/2 at a time. Not ideal, but eventually we would have them all installed. (If luck is with us over the next few years.)

My question: Which side would be best to start with? Considering wind direction, would it really make a difference?
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Aquawind » Sun May 15, 2005 2:35 pm

That is an awesome question Windswept! So many people including myself need that kind of precise advice.. I have been talking about how valuable a process to have individual hurricane inspections prior versus post storm..

Each and every situation is different when it comes to hurricane preparation. I would think it would be of great value to Insurance, FEMA and others as well. Thus only part of the cost would come from the Property Owners.

It sounds like a big task, but worthy imho..If anyone has any input on this I would greatly appreciate your opinions. :)

Paul
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

#3 Postby Persepone » Sun May 15, 2005 3:12 pm

You probably can't predict which direction the winds will come from in some future hurricane, but I'm sure you know which windows are the most difficult or impossible to board up with plywood--why not put the roll-downs on those first? Then, if you only had some of the windows protected with those and a hurricane came, you could use plywood, etc. on the "easier" windows.

If the test of easy/difficult does not do it, then I'd put the rolldowns on the sliders first, as those would seem more vulnerable and inherently more difficult to protect with plywood, etc. Also, those are the ones you'd want to uncover first--or perhaps uncover and recover repeatedly during a season.
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Aquawind » Sun May 15, 2005 4:00 pm

That looks like good advice Persepone. Handle the most difficult and largest or the most vulnerable windows and doors first..

Paul
0 likes   

baygirl_1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby baygirl_1 » Sun May 15, 2005 7:17 pm

I'm not sure if this will help, but...
My sister and her husband recently built their home in the south part of our county (a couple miles inland from the Gulf). They put roll down shutters on the hard to reach windows (as y'all mentioned before). However, on the other windows (and glass doors) they installed the slide-in-and-screw-down type shutters. As I understand it from them, the latter type of shutters are less expensive. So, that might be another option.
0 likes   

Windswept
Category 1
Category 1

#6 Postby Windswept » Sun May 15, 2005 8:42 pm

Makes sense, thank you for suggestions
0 likes   

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Roll down shutters.

#7 Postby OuterBanker » Mon May 16, 2005 3:19 pm

Faced the same dilemma a few years ago. We have front of our business covered with roll downs and got a bid to do the house and rest of business with roll downs for a bid of over $25,000.00. Then we got a bid for storm panels. The bid to finish buildings with aluminum storm shutters was around $3,400.00. The panels are stamped with Dade county hurricane standards and actually protect much better. Also, the upper windows have panels that allow you to install without a ladder. One panel in each window has a handle, you reach outside the window and install all but the last panel which you pull in with the handle and drop a pin in. Yes storm panels are more work but the enormous savings are well worth it. A couple of tips I have learned since. The alum panels are the least expensive but clear panels are also available. At first we had all aluminum panels and when we had to put them up (which had been all to often lately) we realized that it made it like a tomb inside. The panels are fairly standard in width so you can mix and match. In other words you can place a clear panel in some windows which allow light to enter and you can also see outside (although blurred). Second is get one of those Gator Grips sockets for your cordless drill, they conform the the shape of the large butterfly nuts that are also fairly standard in panels. They allow you to zip the panels right up.
0 likes   

baygirl_1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby baygirl_1 » Mon May 16, 2005 9:08 pm

Outerbanker--- You speak such truth! Another sister had the aluminum slide-in-and-bolt-down panels when they lived near Fort Walton Beach. After just 12 hours of being inside with those things up, we were about buggers! Also, we had skinned knuckles and bruises from installing and then taking them down. Very good advice that I will pass along-- thanks! :D
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”