Allstate will not renew nearly 100,000 FL homeowner policies

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Allstate will not renew nearly 100,000 FL homeowner policies

#1 Postby alicia-w » Thu May 19, 2005 3:17 pm

According to WEAR TV in Pensacola:
Allstate Cuts Florida Coverage

The state's third largest insurance carrier, Allstate, will not renew nearly 100,000 homeowner policies in Florida, and the company says it will no longer provide any coverage for commercial properties in the state.
In Escambia, Santa Rosa, and Okaloosa counties, more than 8,000 homeowners will be affected.

Allstate will continue to maintain more than 650,000 homeowner policies in Florida, but it's seeking permission for a rate increase.

The company says it will continue providing automobile policies in Florida.

There was also a big article about it in the Ft Walton newspaper.
0 likes   

beenthru6
Category 1
Category 1

#2 Postby beenthru6 » Thu May 19, 2005 5:41 pm

We have had AllState for 15 years, and I really do not like that company, but if we switch, we will have a much, much higher deductible than we do now. I really feel for all of those people. Heaven only knows what they will do, because if you have had a large claim, most of the time other insurers won't insure you either.
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Aquawind » Thu May 19, 2005 7:59 pm

Ohhh man.. Time to make a call versus waiting for something in the mail.. Wanted to bump it up as well..more Rate increases? Dang...

Paul
0 likes   

drudd1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby drudd1 » Thu May 19, 2005 8:52 pm

Hmmm, according to MSN Money, Allstate had revenue of 34.3 Billion, with a net profit margin of 9.8%, or 3.4 Billion over the last 12 months. Amazing how the hurricanes damaged them so badly that they could only post a meager 3.4 billion in profit. Actually, they are cancelling because settling hurricane damage claims goes against their policy of collecting as much as possible, while paying out as little as possible.

We have had Allstate for 19 years, and several times they have talked about cancelling us, but it hasn't happened yet. The last time we got a cancellation notice, I took it in to my agent and told him they were nuts if they thought they could cancel the homeowner's policy but continue to collect premiums for the cars, camper, and boat. They had a change of heart at that point. That is probably what should be done in the state of Florida, tell 'em they can either insure everything, or get the heck out. If they don't like the concept of having to pay out on claims, get into another line of work.

Sorry for the rant. I am just so sick and tired of hearing the major insurance companies whine, while the folks that really had to face a hardship got screwed.
0 likes   

bosag
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5 Postby bosag » Fri May 20, 2005 11:20 am

What would happen to those people (and hopefully not me) who will lose their insurance and are unable to find another carrier? Will they lose their homes? If you carry a mortgage on your house you are required to carry insurance on it right? Barb
0 likes   

cinlfla
Category 2
Category 2

#6 Postby cinlfla » Fri May 20, 2005 11:36 am

We live in Cocoa, Florida and in December we sold our house and we are renting a manufactured home until our house is built, we have not been able to get a content policy or rental coverage we have tried allstate because that is who our cars are insured with. I have tried State Farm no go... so I went online and found lots of sites for homeowners and rental insurance but the minuted I put my state in which is Florida it tells me there are no quotes for my state at this time. We are still without coverage and hopeing for a cane free summer : )
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Lindaloo » Mon May 23, 2005 9:41 am

This is nothing new. State Farm and Allstate stopped writing homeowner's in MS after Georges.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#8 Postby vbhoutex » Mon May 23, 2005 10:06 am

bosag wrote:What would happen to those people (and hopefully not me) who will lose their insurance and are unable to find another carrier? Will they lose their homes? If you carry a mortgage on your house you are required to carry insurance on it right? Barb

Yes you are required to carry insurance in order to have a mortgage. In TX we have a state pool that those having insurance woes can go to to get coverage. Don't know if the same is available in FL.
0 likes   

CentralFlGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby CentralFlGal » Mon May 23, 2005 11:43 am

drudd1 wrote:Hmmm, according to MSN Money, Allstate had revenue of 34.3 Billion, with a net profit margin of 9.8%, or 3.4 Billion over the last 12 months. Amazing how the hurricanes damaged them so badly that they could only post a meager 3.4 billion in profit. Actually, they are cancelling because settling hurricane damage claims goes against their policy of collecting as much as possible, while paying out as little as possible.

We have had Allstate for 19 years, and several times they have talked about cancelling us, but it hasn't happened yet. The last time we got a cancellation notice, I took it in to my agent and told him they were nuts if they thought they could cancel the homeowner's policy but continue to collect premiums for the cars, camper, and boat. They had a change of heart at that point. That is probably what should be done in the state of Florida, tell 'em they can either insure everything, or get the heck out. If they don't like the concept of having to pay out on claims, get into another line of work.

Sorry for the rant. I am just so sick and tired of hearing the major insurance companies whine, while the folks that really had to face a hardship got screwed.

I'm in total agreement with you here. Insurance companies are in the gambling business and don't mind when the policyholder loses, but threatens to pull out if they think their bottom line will be cut into.

I believe that if they stop writing policies for homes, then they should not be allowed to write any other type of policy in the state of Florida.
0 likes   

drudd1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby drudd1 » Tue May 31, 2005 1:45 pm

Just an update, we have Allstate, and I was told by my agent we are not in the list of policies to be cancelled. He told me that for the most part, those being cancelled are ones with only homeowners with Allstate. Folks that have a combination of policies with them, i.e. home and auto, etc. were not being cancelled. I was also told that they had already made arrangements for all the cancelled policies to be picked up by another carrier, and the option was going to be given to switch to the new carrier immediately upon notification of cancellation with Allstate. He also said Allstate would actively help in the switch to the new carrier, without exception. I don't know first hand about this switch, just what I was told, but I have no doubt the premiums will increase.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

CFL
Category 1
Category 1

#11 Postby CFL » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:33 pm

I've got Allstate for car and home, and I filed a $25,000 claim with them after Ivan. Our policy has been renewed, and the premium is approximately $50 more this year. But you have to consider that I live just north of Pensacola. I have a feeling that most of the policies that were cancelled were probably people living close to the coast and those in flood prone areas. I have little sympathy for those people who keep building expensive homes on the beach and then expect insurance companies to replace it every time a storm hits. In this area they are likely going to need to rebuild every 10 years . . .
0 likes   

StormChasr

#12 Postby StormChasr » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:34 pm

I have Allstate Floridian, and not only did they issue me a policy for contents of my new condo, they insured the buyer of my old house. This is beachside Ormond Beach.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”