How does your workplace prepare?

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

HurryKane
Category 5
Category 5

How does your workplace prepare?

#1 Postby HurryKane » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:56 am

This came up in conversation today--here, we just throw some visquine on top of the computers (how advanced) and then get a day or possibly two off to evacuate/avoid the storm.

But a coworker told a story about when he used to work at Kennedy Space Center--his whole contracting company worked in trailers. Naturally, someone figured that trailers were not a good place to house hundreds of computers during a hurricane, so they developed a plan and rehearsed it several times.

And it still took over a day and a half for the employees to hand-carry all the computers, monitors, and printers a couple of hundred feet over to the Vehicle Assembly Building. Yikes.
0 likes   

beenthru6
Category 1
Category 1

#2 Postby beenthru6 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:06 pm

Well, I don't have a workplace, as I deliver newspapers. But last year when they were doing an evacuation for one of the canes (I can't remember which it was), they were not letting anyone east of Hwy 17, and yet I still had to get through and pick up the newspapers. Luckily, the officer let me through since the loading docks were just off of the Hwy. I just thought this was the silliest thing, because who is going to be buying the papers if people are evacuated?
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#3 Postby GalvestonDuck » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:19 pm

It'd be pretty lengthy if I tried to say everything we do to prepare, since I work at a hospital and a lot of what happens is departmental in nature. There's a chain of command and communication, which starts with Dr. Stobo, the President, and Dr. Richardson, the emergency operations officer, and goes down the line from there. So, what they say goes. And when it comes to internal emergency operations, they say...and I quote, "Initiation of the Stages will not necessarily coincide with National Weather Service reports and warnings, or with those issued by the City of Galveston." In other words, just because other officials tell you to get the heck out of Dodge doesn't mean you can get the heck out of UTMB.

Stage 0 (City EOC Condition Green*): Normal Weather Conditions

All areas operating normally.

Stage 1 (City EOC Condition Blue*): Alert - Preparatory Functions

72 - 60 hours before 39 mph winds impact Galveston
Total probability in 72 hours > 10% for Freeport, Galveston or Port Arthur landfall
The IEPO or designee will alert areas that adverse weather conditions exist and the preparatory functions should begin:

Begin securing laboratories, moving equipment to higher grounds, etc.
Materials Management will order emergency supplies such as dry ice.

Stage 2 (City EOC Condition Amber*): Warning - Finalize Plans

59 - 24 hours prior to 39 mph winds affecting Galveston
Tropical Storm or Hurricane Watch issued for upper Texas coast
Probability through 48 hours > 15% for Freeport, Galveston or Port Arthur landfall
Finalize all the plans outlined in your internal weather plan. Generally, Stage 2 will be called when the National Weather Service issues warnings identifying Galveston as a coastal area where dangerous high water and/or high winds are forecast within 48 hours. Non-essential employees may be released at this time.

UTMB Emergency Operations Center may by activated in Stage 2.

Stage 3 (City EOC Condition Red*): Secure Facilities

24 - 12 hours prior to 39 mph winds affecting Galveston
Tropical Storm or Hurricane Warning issued for upper Texas coast
If non-essential employees were not released in Stage 2, they must be released now. All non-hospital facilities will be locked and secured, and access will not be allowed. Access to hospitals will be granted only to essential personnel. University Police will ensure the security of the facilities. The AEPO/designee will provide the University Police with current lists of essential personnel.

UTMB External Emergency Communications Center may be activated.

UTMB Emergency Operations Center will be activated. (Well, I should hope so!)

Leave Requests Before/During the Emergency
Supervisors deviating from official policy in personnel and payroll management while the institution is in emergency operational status are subject to disciplinary action including termination.

Like I said, we don't leave 'til they say we can leave. In the meantime, patients either get discharged if at all medically possible. Those who can't be discharged get evacuated vertically and, I would assume, moved to hallways (that's what we did at UK to get them away from windows). Those of us in admin positions secure files and paperwork, backup computer files, disassemble our computers and bag them with the peripherals, and then haul it out of there.

I'll never forget Allison. :roll:
0 likes   

LaPlaceFF
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby LaPlaceFF » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:24 pm

They will try to stay open no matter what!!!
0 likes   

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby alicia-w » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:12 am

heckfire, we have entire regulations and pamphlets and operations orders and all that stuff on what everyone has to do in all phases of preparation and recovery.
0 likes   

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby dhweather » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:49 am

LaPlaceFF wrote:They will try to stay open no matter what!!!

Yep. :grrr:
0 likes   

bosag
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#7 Postby bosag » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:45 pm

I was working at a small church-run daycare when Floyd came parallel to the coast. We decided to evacuate, so I called and told my boss that "we are evacuating". I guess she took that as a "I quit".
I even showed up for work as soon as Floyd passed, (day later) and she was shocked to see me. Never said that I quit, just moving the family to safety.

Barb
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby sunny » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:20 pm

Equipment wise, they move all computers and printers out of offices with windows. Emergency numbers are given out.

We have a huge manual regarding "Business Recovery" in the event we do get hit.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#9 Postby CajunMama » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:19 am

Unplug the computers, move them and cover them...turn off the lights and lock the door. It's easy when you have a family run business!
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”