Great Coffee without Electricity...

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

HurriCat

Great Coffee without Electricity...

#1 Postby HurriCat » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:24 pm

... I came up with this after Charley, and seeing a neighbor BOILING a pot of water with coffee grinds in it and pouring it through paper towels! I took our carafe/pot from the electric 'maker, and filled it; then poured the water into a small pot and heated it on a propane burner until near boiling; I took the filter-holder (most detach from the coffee maker) and put in a filter and the usual amount of coffee; I then held the filter/coffee unit over the carafe/pot and held the auto-stop lever up to allow the coffee to go through; we carefully poured the water over the coffee in the filter and quickly had a full pot that tasted exactly like any other morning! Just be careful and don't overflow the filter holder - it goes pretty quick - and move the stream around a little as you pour - get all of the coffee nice and wet. BTW, we still have a chunk of shingle deeply embedded in a wooden post - a Charley keepsake. Roof just redone - took 17 weeks to get the supplies!
0 likes   

Swimdude
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Swimdude » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:06 pm

Haha that's incredibly clever! I found these "household remedies"... I wonder if they're any use here.

Drinking two glasses of Gatorade can relieve headache pain almost immediately, without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional pain relievers.

Did you know that Colgate toothpaste makes an excellent salve for burns?

Before you head to the drugstore for a high-priced inhaler filled with mysterious chemicals, try chewing on a couple of Altoid peppermints. They'll clear up your stuffed up nose.

Achy muscles from a bout of the flu? Mix One Tablespoon of horseradish in 1/2 cup of olive oil. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, then apply it as a massage oil for instant relief for aching muscles.

Sore throat? Just mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup of honey and take one Tablespoon six times a day. The vinegar kills the bacteria.

Cure urinary tract infections with AlkaSeltzer. Just dissolve two tablets in a glass of water and drink it at the onset of the symptoms. AlkaSeltzer begins eliminating urinary tract infections almost instantly, although the product was never advertised for this use.

Eliminate puffiness under your eyes: All you need is a dab of preparation H, carefully rubbed into the skin, avoiding the eyes. The hemorrhoid ointment acts as a vasoconstrictor, relieving the swelling instantly.

Honey remedy for Skin Blemishes. Cover the blemish with a dab of honey and place a Band-Aid over it. Honey kills the bacteria, keeps the skin sterile, and speeds healing. Works overnight.

Listerine therapy for toenail fungus. Get rid of unsightly toenail fungus by soaking your toes in Listerine mouthwash. The powerful antiseptic leaves your toenails looking healthy again.

Easy eyeglass protection. To prevent the screws in eyeglasses from loosening apply a small drop of clear nail polish to the threads of the screws before tightening them.

Coca-Cola cure for rust. Forget those expensive rust removers. Just saturate an abrasive sponge with Coca-Cola and scrub the rust stain. The phosphoric acid in the coke is what gets the job done. (And people drink this stuff?)

Cleaning liquid that doubles as bug killer. If menacing bees, wasps, hornets or yellow jackets get in your home and you can't find the insecticide, try a spray of Formula 409. Insects drop to the ground instantly.

Soapy water thrown on a wasp nest at dusk when all the wasp or hornets are on it, kills them all, eggs too. It smothers them as they breath through their pores.

Smart splinter remover. Just pour a drop of Elmers Glue all over the splinter, let dry, and peel the dried glue off the skin. The splinter sticks to the dried glue.

Hunt's tomato paste boil cure: Cover the boil with Hunt's tomato paste as a compress. The acid from the tomatoes soothes the pain and brings the boil to a head.

Balm for broken blisters. To disinfect a broken blister, dab on a few drops of Listerine, a powerful antiseptic.

Heinz vinegar to heal bruises: Soak a cotton ball in white vinegar and apply it to the bruise for one hour. The vinegar reduces the blueness and speeds up the healing process.

Quaker Oats for fast pain relief. It's not for breakfast anymore! Mix two cups of Quaker Oats and one cup of water in a bowl and warm in the microwave for one minute, cool slightly, and apply the mixture to your hands for soothing relief from arthritis pain.

Animals -

Kill fleas instantly: Dawn dishwashing liquid does the trick. Add a few drops to your dog's bath and shampoo the animal thoroughly. Rinse well to avoid skin irritations. Good-bye fleas.

Rainy day cure for dog odor: Next time your dog comes in from the rain, simply wipe down the animal with Bounce or any dryer sheet. This instantly makes your dog smell springtime fresh.

Eliminate ear mites. All it takes is a few drops of Wesson Corn Oil in your cat's ear. Massage it in, then clean with a cotton ball. Repeat daily for 3 days. The oil soothes the cat's skin, smothering the mites, and accelerating the healing process.

Vaseline cure for hairballs: To prevent troublesome hairballs, apply a dollop of Vaseline petroleum jelly to your cat's nose. The cat will lick off the jelly, lubricating any hair in its stomach so it can pass easily through the digestive system.
0 likes   

HurriCat

#3 Postby HurriCat » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:14 pm

Good Stuff... :D But no dish soap for the kitty cats! Their skin is a lot more sensitive. Also, no DOG flea meds on the cats - they ARE different! Also, no PORK for dogs or cats - not good for them (that's why there are no ham or sausage dog/cat foods). Yours is a good post, because right after a storm, we might need to be handy with just such alternative tips and tricks.
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

Vaseline for Hairballs....

#4 Postby Persepone » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:28 pm

Whether you use vaseline or the "hairball medicine" from the vets, the advice to "put a little on the cat's nose and the cat will lick it off" may or may not work. Ditto if the advice is to put it on the cat's cheek, etc.

Our cat's response to having this stuff put on her nose/cheek (we tried both) so that she would lick it off resulted in her instantly walking over to the corner and wiping her face on the brand new wallpaper!

Don't expect your cat to be predictable about a hairball medicine that the cat does not like the taste of....
0 likes   

Swimdude
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Swimdude » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:33 pm

I guess it's obvious I don't have any pets, huh? :D
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

#6 Postby Persepone » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:16 pm

Actually not. Your tips are great!

All veterinarians have that advice about giving cats medicine--but obviously they never have to actually do it (or they do not have new wallpaper!) But I guess that there is a cat out there somewhere that actually does lick the medicine off according to plan.

I did not mean to "criticize the advice." I just figured I'd share a silly cat story... I'm always so amazed when experts of various types tell you that something is "easy"--giving a dog a pill, giving a baby a bath, and it turns out to be worthy of filming for "Funniest Videos" TV show... I guess you had to be there to watch this cat get this slimy dark-colored greasy, slimy medicine wiped on its nose and immediately stalk over to the corner and wipe it off onto brand new light colored wallpaper! So much for nice wallpaper! It was nice for less than 24 hours...
0 likes   

HurriCat

#7 Postby HurriCat » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:05 am

Speaking of pets & hurricanes - during Jeanne, I had gone to the vet and got some "little pills" to calm our three cats. BIG difference than during Charley (lots of squalling and wailing from their pet taxis). If you have cats, you can check with your vet - I'm sure that such pills have a shelf-life longer than one season, plus they are cheap. If you really know your pet and have seen how it takes a storm, then maybe no pill is needed. Make sure that the pets don't get double-dosed or anything (my wife is the pill-giver/wrestler). Oh, we had also used the pills during the evac-to-hell from Frances. Kitties slept and were very cool with everything. Speaking of the hairball goo - once I put a blob of this "yummy" salmon-flavored stuff on Peanuts' paw. She expertly shook it hard and sent the goo flying. The trick is to SMEAR some into the paw-fur so that it is more secure.
0 likes   

patsmsg
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby patsmsg » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:20 am

Swimdude wrote:Sore throat? Just mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup of honey and take one Tablespoon six times a day. The vinegar kills the bacteria.

A lot of good information Swimdude. Thanks!

FYI... regarding the sore throat remedy: While I have no doubt it may reult in some relief, most sore throats are not bacterial but viral. Also, the pain is caused by the damage the body's own defenses have already done in trying to kill the virus, ie, the body will kill all the cells in the area, even those not infected in an effort to get rid of the virus. Honey in tea will soothe also.
0 likes   

patsmsg
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Great Coffee without Electricity...

#9 Postby patsmsg » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:27 am

HurriCat wrote:... I came up with this after Charley, and seeing a neighbor BOILING a pot of water with coffee grinds in it and pouring it through paper towels...

Ever heard of Folgers singles? They are like tea bags, only with coffee instead of tea. They taste great, and are always a part of my hurricane kit!
0 likes   

HurriCat

#10 Postby HurriCat » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:33 am

Thanks for the tip! We did have a container full of instant-coffee. The singles sound even better, as I believe in "individualized and compartmentalized" supplies. If your coffee or whatever is in one big container, then it could be ruined if the container is damaged or leaks. Having things broken-down makes for easier portion-control and sharing/trading. I was taking a break from picking up the neighbor's shingles that carpeted our back yard when I tried the improvised "auto-drip" method. My wife was like "Instant coffee? Ugh!", and so I got creative. I still have a Charley memento: A piece of shingle stuck into a 4x4 post in the back yard.
0 likes   

patsmsg
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby patsmsg » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:14 pm

Hey, I think you did a great job given the circumstances! Anything not full of grounds at that point would be accomplishment :)

Anyhow, each Folgers singles is in an indiviually wrapped packet, and they are NOT "instant" coffee. Instant coffee disolves in the water, and I don't like that any more than I like instant tea (yech!). This is ground coffee in a built in filter bag. It's plenty strong to make 2 cups with one bag if you like, so they go a long way.
0 likes   

iceangel
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Great Coffee without Electricity...

#12 Postby iceangel » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:09 pm

HurriCat wrote:... I came up with this after Charley, and seeing a neighbor BOILING a pot of water with coffee grinds in it and pouring it through paper towels! I took our carafe/pot from the electric 'maker, and filled it; then poured the water into a small pot and heated it on a propane burner until near boiling; I took the filter-holder (most detach from the coffee maker) and put in a filter and the usual amount of coffee; I then held the filter/coffee unit over the carafe/pot and held the auto-stop lever up to allow the coffee to go through; we carefully poured the water over the coffee in the filter and quickly had a full pot that tasted exactly like any other morning! Just be careful and don't overflow the filter holder - it goes pretty quick - and move the stream around a little as you pour - get all of the coffee nice and wet. BTW, we still have a chunk of shingle deeply embedded in a wooden post - a Charley keepsake. Roof just redone - took 17 weeks to get the supplies!
I was so miserable during hurricane Dennis aftermath, that I didn't even want to go over to my Aunts house for coffee. She has a gas stove and she makes some every afternoon. If it weren't for the stupid heat and humidity that I had to endure with out power, I would've gone. I make coffee in the afternoons too.
0 likes   

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby alicia-w » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:18 am

A French Press is the only way to make coffee, with or without electricity.
0 likes   

HurriCat

#14 Postby HurriCat » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:51 am

They look interesting and affordable. Thanks for the tip - will check them out! :)
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

#15 Postby Persepone » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:30 pm

alicia-w wrote:A French Press is the only way to make coffee, with or without electricity.

While personally I'd tend to agree that they make wonderful coffee, these are not the only options and others may prefer coffee made by some other methods.

Melitta puts out a manual (pour hot water over the grounds in a cone shaped filter) coffee pot for about $10 that turns out coffee similar to your electric drip pot. Easily available, affordable. Nothing to "learn" for Mr. Coffee users.

There are the old-fashioned "percolators." These are affordable new (see Wal-Mart or K-Mart camping supplies for stainless steel or speckleware models for a few bucks [cheap]). There is a knack to using one, so find a person who is about 70+ years old to show you and you can make GOOD coffee with one... You can buy these at tag sales for less than a dollar in many cases....
0 likes   

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby alicia-w » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:56 am

It was a mere expression.
0 likes   

Stormtrack
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#17 Postby Stormtrack » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:43 am

They make coffee bags that you use like tea bags that make pretty good coffee. If you like a big mug of coffee like I do you might have to use 2 depending on your taste since they are designed for 6 to 8 ounce cups. They are individually sealed in foil to keep the flavor in. It's what we intend to do in case of a long power failure.
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#18 Postby GalvestonDuck » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:49 am

Stormtrack wrote:They make coffee bags that you use like tea bags that make pretty good coffee. If you like a big mug of coffee like I do you might have to use 2 depending on your taste since they are designed for 6 to 8 ounce cups. They are individually sealed in foil to keep the flavor in. It's what we intend to do in case of a long power failure.

Folgers Singles. :)
0 likes   

mvtrucking
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#19 Postby mvtrucking » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:55 pm

Persepone wrote:
alicia-w wrote:A French Press is the only way to make coffee, with or without electricity.

While personally I'd tend to agree that they make wonderful coffee, these are not the only options and others may prefer coffee made by some other methods.

Melitta puts out a manual (pour hot water over the grounds in a cone shaped filter) coffee pot for about $10 that turns out coffee similar to your electric drip pot. Easily available, affordable. Nothing to "learn" for Mr. Coffee users.

There are the old-fashioned "percolators." These are affordable new (see Wal-Mart or K-Mart camping supplies for stainless steel or speckleware models for a few bucks [cheap]). There is a knack to using one, so find a person who is about 70+ years old to show you and you can make GOOD coffee with one... You can buy these at tag sales for less than a dollar in many cases....

Very true but 70+? I'm 47 and remember them well. Great coffee though :lol:
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

#20 Postby Persepone » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:30 pm

mvtrucking wrote:
Very true but 70+? I'm 47 and remember them well. Great coffee though :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm 60+ and my friends who are my age do not ADMIT that they remember those pots and know how to use them!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: You have to realize that we all got them as wedding gifts... That's what makes it so silly, but what can I say?

So that's why I recommend that you find someone 70+ to ask. Once you hit 70, I think, you become less sensitive about what you remember. My friends are always furious with me when I admit to knowing/ remembering something like this!

Of course, if your family camped, hunted, or had a "country place," you can be quite young and still know how to cook on a woodstove, how to use a stove-top percolator, how to clean fish, how to make biscuits "from scratch" etc. and you can blame it on your family's "summer cabin" or something... :wink: :wink:
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”