Physical Location of Hurricane Kit(s)...

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

HurriCat

Physical Location of Hurricane Kit(s)...

#1 Postby HurriCat » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:06 pm

I just relocated the kits I have (including our tent), from a high shelf in the garage, to a closet in the center part of the house. I also tied tools like a hatchet, axe, small shovel, hammer, nails and bow-saw together inside a tarp. This bundle is in the back of the closet, too. I have also made a reinforced shelf underneath which we can slide our three pet taxis w. cats should things get really bad. This closet has become our "safe room", as I figure if we lose containment there, then we are pretty much goners in any event. I was thinking about our jerry-rigged garage door and its' chances of blowing out, taking our supplies with it. I have also set large screw-eyes into the closet studs, close to the floor. To these I will tie our kit/duffles, plus I'll run a strong rope through the pet taxi handles (these taxis and cats don't weigh much). On a side note, my kits were originally those largish tupperware type storage tubs w. lids. After thinking of how I would carry those if we had to move around much, I put the supplies into duffle bags w. extra pockets and carry straps. I also gave them a good treatment of the camping waterproof spray. There are two kits, with identical contents - one for each adult - just in case.
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

#2 Postby Persepone » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:24 pm

Good point about not keeping hurricane kits in vulnerable area of the house. But some people may not have a "dedicated" area if their "safe area" is normally used for something else. Would be interesting to hear where and how others store their kits. Also, for those who plan to evacuate, where do they keep their supplies?

Also, for those who store propane and other supplies of that type (e.g., bulky, flammable, etc. where and how do they store them? Where do people keep their portable generators so they will be handy/not vulnerable to the 'cane?
0 likes   

Swimdude
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Swimdude » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:06 pm

Yeah... Garage definately isn't the best place; especially if, like me, your house isn't exactly attached to the garage! :lol: Anyway, definately keeping it in an inner closet would be a good plan... Somewhere out of the way, but easy to get to... I believe that's an oxymoron...
0 likes   

HurriCat

#4 Postby HurriCat » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:50 pm

I have three small propane bottles in each of the two "closet" kits. The four 5 gallon gas jugs have to take their chances in the garage (roped through handles and to large screw-eye set in the cinderblocks. I might move the jugs so that 2 each are in the car and truck (where they'll be needed, anyways).

In the military, we had "mobility bags" from which we could live for three days. Similar thinking should go for those who know that theirs needs to be an evacuation rather than a you-know-what (don't say it!) strategy. Think survival, and cover the basics first: light, fire-making, first-aid/insect control, sanitation, shelter and self-defense. Lay in a basic supply of water, but I choose to rely on a really good filter. This saves space and muscle-power. You gan get the shelf-stable "emergency" food bars (online) or even stock granola and meal-bar type snacks.

In the post-9/11 times, it feels good to keep a kit like this in the vehicle. For the hurricane crowd, just add some things like a tent and maybe a camp-type toilet. Tarps are always handy, and can be rigged for privacy.

We don't have to live in fear, but just look at nature. All animals are wary to some degree. Some critters, like squirrels, gather and store food. And even the tiniest mouse will fight for its life if cornered.
0 likes   

patsmsg
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby patsmsg » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:31 am

My hurricane kit is stored in a cupboard beneath our stairs (inside).
Unfortunately, the generator is out in the garage under a bench. I just can't see bringing a big generator and gasoline inside the house. Doesn't seem safe, I don't have the room, and it would smell.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”