Price Gouging

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Price Gouging

#1 Postby alicia-w » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:33 pm

I couldnt help but chuckle at the state of Florida's insistence that folks report price gougers. Picture this, you're sitting at a gas station on Wednesday and gas is $2.26 a gallon (regular unleaded). Thursday, they say that your area is "in the cone" and WHACK!! gas at that same station is now $2.37. But you're there and you've got to fill up everything you have and get the hell out of Dodge. When exactly are you going to take time from your evacuation plan to call in price gougers????? Do the gas stations assume that you wont?

After dropping my son off at his house in Sandestin, I saw a station charging $2.49 for unleaded; 20 cents more than it was the day before.

It's just criminal! but what are you gonna do when more than half of the stations are still out of gas????
0 likes   

HurriCat

#2 Postby HurriCat » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:57 am

"Yessss." 8-) (The Matrix, said cooly by Morpheus, when Neo gasps the s-word upon seeing the agents and cops looking for him)

Exactly! You need it and they get away with it in most cases. I hate the hypocrisy, though, when the politicians get all wound-up about gas pricing during a storm, but the usual, seasonal big hike/lame excuse/slight reduction cycle goes unchallenged.

Drivers are conditioned to accept this "logic", and the media eagerly and unquestioningly parrots the silly claims offered by oil companies as to why we have to pay more and more. Finally, and what they count on, is that people will bi*** and moan, but... THEY PAY UP. That's all that matters.

In case anyone thinks I'm blowin' like a Cat 3 or whatever, just answer this simple question every single time you hear the latest reason to justify higher gasoline: If production, supply, demand, shipping, weather, labor, war, terrorism or WHATEVER is the cause, then why can you ALWAYS go anywhere in the nation and buy all of the gas that you want?

8-) Yessss.
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

#3 Postby Persepone » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:21 am

Well, we had the same price jump as you guys did! Our "low price" here is now about $2.40/gallon... Last weekend gas was a little cheaper in New Hampshire, but it was still in the $2.30/gallon range.

I believe that that dramatic twenty-cent jump in 24 hours or so was just coincidental to the hurricane... We all got that horrific nasty surprise!
0 likes   

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby alicia-w » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:59 am

Persepone wrote:Well, we had the same price jump as you guys did! Our "low price" here is now about $2.40/gallon... Last weekend gas was a little cheaper in New Hampshire, but it was still in the $2.30/gallon range.

I believe that that dramatic twenty-cent jump in 24 hours or so was just coincidental to the hurricane... We all got that horrific nasty surprise!

I might buy that if there wasnt a station less than two miles down the road that had it for 2.26.
0 likes   

iceangel
Category 1
Category 1

#5 Postby iceangel » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:47 am

It's not only gas prices, some hotels are price gouging too. It was on the local news the other night,but I didn't catch it in time to find out what hotel or where at.
0 likes   

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby alicia-w » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:54 am

some of the local channels have websites with news archives. have you looked there?
0 likes   

HurriCat

#7 Postby HurriCat » Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:27 pm

In all honesty, I DO have to add a few thoughts regarding the oil companies. They are simply offering a product for sale. I can choose to not buy it. Still, though, our society has a dependency on cars. We can choose to live like hermits without them. Also, the gas prices raise the cost of everything, from food in the stores to clothes and services like lawn care and shipping. Plane and bus tickets go up, too. So I guess that it comes down to the MORALITY of knowing people are somewhat hostage to your product, and the greed being shown. It galls me, though, how we hear about evil MONOPOLIES and how the authorities were after Microsoft like a pack of dogs. But strangely, ALL of the oil companies and gas-chains always have the same prices to within pennies. How come I can find the same shirt or radio or DVD at a difference of several dollars, yet the gas is always withing a cent or two? What a joke.
0 likes   

yzerfan
Category 2
Category 2

#8 Postby yzerfan » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:51 pm

Classic economics say that in a truly competitive market, prices will eventually drop until the profit for the seller approaches zero. (which is not a state of no profit for the sellers, but more of an indicator that they can't control and set prices on their lonesome) And since the gas stations offer only a good, and no additional service as part of the sale, they're a better illustration of this than the clothing or CD sellers, where a buyer is willing to pay more for good customer service as part of the purchase.
0 likes   

NFLDART
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Here we Go again

#9 Postby NFLDART » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:03 pm

Well here come the price hikes in Gas Again.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”