New roof

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

jes
Category 1
Category 1

New roof

#1 Postby jes » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:55 am

I lost shingles during Katrina. I've read before that you can replace shingles 3 times before you'll need to replace the wood base? Is that true. Also, Dade county code calls for steel roof tie downs or something like that. Can you have that sort of thing installed to an existing house when you have a new roof put onto the house?
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

Not sure that's what they meant about roof....

#2 Postby Persepone » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:08 am

Did they mean that you have to tear off the shingles if you repair them three times or that you can't have more than 3 layers of shingles on the wood?

It seems unlikely that you have to replace the decking (wood/plywood) if it is not damaged....
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby Frank P » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:35 pm

I agree, you don't have to change the decking unless its rotten... and I would never recommended installing a new shingle roof over and existing shingled roof.... I think doing this will limit the life expectancy of the new roof... my opinion only

the tie downs usually connect the rafters to the top plate of the frame of the house... this can't be done replacing shingles....
0 likes   

wayoutfront

Re: New roof

#4 Postby wayoutfront » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:54 pm

jes wrote:I lost shingles during Katrina. I've read before that you can replace shingles 3 times before you'll need to replace the wood base? Is that true. Also, Dade county code calls for steel roof tie downs or something like that. Can you have that sort of thing installed to an existing house when you have a new roof put onto the house?

no thats not true. Check your local codes for any special requirements. I am working Dade now, and that not the case.. and yes if there is access hurricane ties can be installed after being built... but it would be a chore.

It would not be required for a shingle replacement

the hurricane tie.. is a piece of metal that you nail to your rafter and wall top plate to hold them together
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#5 Postby Dionne » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:10 am

It depends on the condition of your roof sheathing. If you have any soft spots.....reskin the entire roof before you apply new shingles.

The H25 Simpson hurricane clip is usually applied to rafters during initial construction. Some areas now require a strap that runs up the stud, over the rafter and back to the first top plate.

If your in a hurricane prone area and your getting ready to replace your roof......go to the aditional expense of installing a hurricane clip.....there are a number of ways it can be done. One word of caution.....make sure your carpenter uses the nails specifically designed for the clips and not just an ordinary 8P nail.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”