Contra-flows

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

simplykristi
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Contra-flows

#1 Postby simplykristi » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:02 pm

Hi All,
I am not sure if this topic belongs here or what because I didn't know where to post it.

I think that the state government of any state that is going to be impacted by a hurricane should have contra-flows set up. I am talking about major cities along or just in land, such as Houston and New Orleans. This is what hurt in the Houston/Galveston evacuations.. NO CONTRA-FLOW until the 20-plus hours of traffice buildup. That's way too late to do contra-flow. That should have been started as soon as traffice started building up.

Contra-flow should be started as soon as possible, especially when mandatory evacuations are issued for large population areas, such as Galveston and Beaumont - Port Arthur areas.

Kristi
0 likes   

NFLDART
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

FLORIDA USES

#2 Postby NFLDART » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:22 pm

Contraflow has been used here succesfully for many years. The best Example was Hurricane Floyd.
0 likes   

simplykristi
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby simplykristi » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:40 pm

I know NC and FL are pretty quick about starting contra-flow. Why not TX and LA?

Kristi
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#4 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:18 am

simplykristi wrote:I know NC and FL are pretty quick about starting contra-flow. Why not TX and LA?

Kristi

Who knows? They have set up a "task force" to look into the whole situation and to design evac plans that won't allow what happened this tme to happen again.
0 likes   

sp0n9e
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#5 Postby sp0n9e » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:50 am

louisiana starts contraflow our of NO at 48 hours (katrina might have been 36...i remember the contraflow was *extended* at saturday at 4pm before the storm) before arrival and stops 6 hours before arrival so emergency personelle can get back in quickly to shore up the shelters.

they did this with katrina and the contraflow worked perfectly...besides the poor people who didn't have cars and the people who wanted to stay.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”