Double door brace effectiveness

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

Double door brace effectiveness

#1 Postby DanKellFla » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:50 pm

During hurricane Wilma my entryway double doors popped open. They may have been sucked open. I had a window break. All this with storm shutters in place. One side of my front door has pegs that slide into the top and bottom of the frame. Well, I forgot to slide the top one in. The bottom one was ripped out of the door. I looked into getting new doors. That would be $2000. Ouch. So, I looked into some alternatives. I found something called 'Door Brace Big Jammer' on amazon.com.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006F ... oding=UTF8

I was going to get 2 of them to brace the doors. They can be removed quickly from the inside, and if I need an exit, I have other doors that are less vulnerable.
Any thoughts?[/url]
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#2 Postby Dionne » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:11 am

Dan.....I use a similar brace on the rear entry doors at my business location. They are primarily used to prevent break-ins. They DO work. You would literally have to destroy the door from the hinge side to gain access once the brace is in place. My only concern about using this type of brace during a storm.....is that if there is pressure from the outside you may not be able to easily remove the brace. This could be caused by wind, water or debris accumulation.
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby DanKellFla » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:42 pm

Thanks, I have alternate means of exit. I also will have hurricane shutters in front of my door, so the pressure will be on those and the door frame. If the pressure is strong enough to seriously impact the door, I doubt that I will have much of a house left by that time.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”