What are you going to do differently this season?

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

What are you going to do differently this season?

#1 Postby DanKellFla » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:29 am

Unfortunately, Wilma showed me a few weaknesses I had in my home preps. There are two things I am going to do better this time.

1) Brace my front double doors from the inside.
Even though they were behind shutters, they still opened. Which makes me think they were sucked open.

2) Secure all my attic access panels.
I have two way to access my attic. One is spring loaded and stayed closed. The other is just some plywood in a frame. That one moved around last year. So this year I am installing some barrel bolts to keep that panel in place.
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#2 Postby GalvestonDuck » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:18 pm

Of course, these are home prep changes...but still changes for this season nevertheless.

1) To heck with the screen door.
I replaced the screen last August because there was a rip in it. A month later, Rita said HA! to that. Afterwards, I asked my landlord if I could take it off. It's not like it provide extra security. :)

2) Remove cell phone before going into...well, you know where.
Mine went into a coma for a couple of months because I accidentally dropped in...you know where...just minutes after reaching my evacuation point and settling in. All my important work and other contact numbers were programmed into it.

3) Have a paper list of phone numbers and other information.
(See #2 :) )

4) Change insurance companies. (Completed as of last month)
Grrrrrr......
0 likes   

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Ixolib » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:58 pm

This season I WILL NOT board anything - especially the windows.

Last year, I got whacked with Katrina's surge and my insurance company said they would not pay for any water damage to the structure or its contents which, as it turned out, came to about $30K out of my own pocket for the repairs!!

So now I've decided that I'm done protecting the interests of my insurance company by boarding the windows. This year, and in years to come, if the windows go, at least THEY (the insurance company) will be the ones paying for the damage - not me...

Kinda off kilter, I agree - but that's sadly the way it needs to be...
0 likes   

Roxy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Roxy » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:31 am

We got flood insurance.

That's the best preparation we could have.
0 likes   

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby SouthFloridawx » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:20 am

Ixolib wrote:This season I WILL NOT board anything - especially the windows.

Last year, I got whacked with Katrina's surge and my insurance company said they would not pay for any water damage to the structure or its contents which, as it turned out, came to about $30K out of my own pocket for the repairs!!

So now I've decided that I'm done protecting the interests of my insurance company by boarding the windows. This year, and in years to come, if the windows go, at least THEY (the insurance company) will be the ones paying for the damage - not me...

Kinda off kilter, I agree - but that's sadly the way it needs to be...

Did you not have flood or a deductable for flood on your homeowners. Usually flood is a seperate policy. If you had flood insurance fight them tooth and nail. Unfortunately it sounds like you had only homeowners and possibly a separate policty for windstorm. Sometimes homeowners insurance has a seperate deductable in the same policy for windstorm and this is usually 2%. If have to have flood and if you don't and if this is the case they won't cover you for flood.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#6 Postby southerngale » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:41 am

Evacuate to Canada!

Well, at least much further inland than I did, so I don't get by the hurricane where I evacuated to. :roll:
But that probably doesn't really belong here since it says "this season," because I will only do that if threatened by another hurricane, and I've already ordered all hurricanes to stay at least 400 miles away from here!
0 likes   

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby SouthFloridawx » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:05 pm

southerngale wrote:Evacuate to Canada!

Well, at least much further inland than I did, so I don't get by the hurricane where I evacuated to. :roll:
But that probably doesn't really belong here since it says "this season," because I will only do that if threatened by another hurricane, and I've already ordered all hurricanes to stay at least 400 miles away from here!

Did they say how long the order would take to fill? Can you pick that up at walgreen?
0 likes   

zoeyann
Category 2
Category 2

#8 Postby zoeyann » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:19 pm

I have begun preparations in ernest

1. I am hoarding cash money in a lock box with my important documents, everytime I pay bills I put more aside. Even though my area did not see significant damage for Katrina I did evacuate because it was close and used credit cards but as I came home most places were without power for a week and credit card machines were down even longer so if you could get services it had to be in cash but ATM's were out of juice. I will always have an emergency cash stash now.

2. Getting small utility trailor. May sound nuts, but if this year has taught me anything it is what you leave with may be all you are left with.

3. Bring entire kit with me to have supplies when I return. I found out the dumb way gallons of water do no good if you leave them in a cabinet under the sink during a flood (I forgot when I left OOPPPs)

4. I have a planned place to stay with relatives. I left for Katrina without a plan or a resevation. Ended up with my kids in a fleebag crack hotel with no lock on the door. I would have been more relaxed in New Orleans

5. Have put important things in rubbermaid containers which if I leave and can not bring them with me I will seal up with garbage bags and duck tape in the highest part of my home. Alot of the kids's stuff that survived Rita were in these types of containers. Don't you wish everything was made like rubbermaid.

Anyway that's all I can think of right now. This topic is great so that we can get ideas on how to plug up the holes in our plans.
0 likes   

HurricaneQueen
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby HurricaneQueen » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:13 pm

Zoey,

I love your idea of a small utility trailer. We moved so much out of our house for Wilma, it took two van loads and a car load to get our "stuff" out of our house on the coast and in to an house further inland with less chance of storm surge. One van load went with us to a hotel further inland with hurricane supplies and pets. We moved so much stuff in and out and up and down steps, it took over a week to physically recover. (not getting any younger). Fortunately, our home survived with minor damage and no flooding! :D

Lynn
0 likes   
GO FLORIDA GATORS

HDGator
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby HDGator » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:48 pm

Ixolib,

It was solely due to your story that I added flood insurance to our policy in October, 2005. Being an Civil Engineer I understand the remote possibility of surge affecting my house which is between a 100 year and 500 year flood level. After reading your account, it forced me to re-evaluate my own risk to a potential storm surge. As Wilma approached we even joked about the policy being several days from being effective, even though we were confident that we had no risks from surge - just wind. Thankfully we had minimal damage after being tempered by Frances and Jeane in 2004.

My house is outside the predicted surge area; but considering the potential risk from a catastrophic event like you endured, I couldn't continue the risk. The cost to add the flood insurance was relatively inexpensive considering the peace of mind.

I have relayed your story to many, in an attempt to convey the risk of not having the flood coverage in what would be considered very remotely at risk to flood damage. Even though it's been several months since I've seen them, I still clearly remember the pictures of the water in your home and the heartbreak it conveys.

Rest assured that your sharing of the loss has had some effect to prevent the same loss for others.

I can't imagine the frustration from being penalized for successfully protecting your home from wind damage and suffering water damage at such a great cost.

I hope and pray that you live to a ripe old age relaying the story on the front porch in a rocking chair without having to relive it.

Take Care.

Ken
0 likes   

gtalum
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby gtalum » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:51 am

I'm goign to find a way to brace my garage door. It's the one truly weak place in my home. Even for relatively mild storms I can go in the garage and watch the door flex in and out.
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby DanKellFla » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:18 am

gtalum, http://www.securedoor.com/

That is what I am going to do. I am getting two braces. If you have a house built to the newest code, get three.
Another option that I have seen people take is to take a big piece of plywood and back the car up to brace the plywood against the door. I don't know how effective that really is.
0 likes   

gtalum
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby gtalum » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:26 am

I have done the plywood thing and I doubt it does much good. I'll check out those braces, though.
0 likes   

dizzyfish
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby dizzyfish » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:53 am

:uarrow: Also, be sure to check how the tracks are secured to your house. I have heard that is where most failures occur. Your door (even when braced) will still flex some. We have a hurricane garage door and it flexed and seeped rain during Frances & Jeanne.

I want to get different storm panels. I hate the "cave" feeling. Lexan would be wonderful but our windows are so large it would cost a ton. :roll:

The plan for the weekend is to caulk around all the windows and doors. We also bought the hardware to reinforce the front door. (slide bolts for the top and side)
0 likes   

gtalum
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby gtalum » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:35 pm

The garage door track is attached to the house very well. I took care of that myself, as when I moved in I coudl tell it wasn't done all that well when built.
0 likes   

jusforsean
Category 1
Category 1

#16 Postby jusforsean » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:05 pm

Rubbermaids are great we are in a mobile home and any rubbermaids I leave behind I tape up and take permenant marker and write my phone number all over. In case it flies 2 blocks away I still have a chance! :cheesy:
0 likes   

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby Ixolib » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:52 pm

HDGator wrote:

Ixolib,

It was solely due to your story that I added flood insurance to our policy in October, 2005. Being an Civil Engineer I understand the remote possibility of surge affecting my house which is between a 100 year and 500 year flood level. After reading your account, it forced me to re-evaluate my own risk to a potential storm surge. As Wilma approached we even joked about the policy being several days from being effective, even though we were confident that we had no risks from surge - just wind. Thankfully we had minimal damage after being tempered by Frances and Jeane in 2004.

My house is outside the predicted surge area; but considering the potential risk from a catastrophic event like you endured, I couldn't continue the risk. The cost to add the flood insurance was relatively inexpensive considering the peace of mind.

I have relayed your story to many, in an attempt to convey the risk of not having the flood coverage in what would be considered very remotely at risk to flood damage. Even though it's been several months since I've seen them, I still clearly remember the pictures of the water in your home and the heartbreak it conveys.

Rest assured that your sharing of the loss has had some effect to prevent the same loss for others.

I can't imagine the frustration from being penalized for successfully protecting your home from wind damage and suffering water damage at such a great cost.

I hope and pray that you live to a ripe old age relaying the story on the front porch in a rocking chair without having to relive it.

Take Care.

Ken

Wow, Ken - I had no idea. But I'm happy to hear that you are now going to be protected for ANY eventuality!! And thanks much for your hopes and prayers...

I too -- now -- have flood insurance. But, pre-Katrina obviously did not because we too are (or were) not in a flood/surge zone. And I had no idea how cheap the actual premium for flood insurance is!!! I wonder if I would have bought the insurance if I had known then how cheap it is!!! Knowing me, the probable answer to that question is "no" since the mortgage company, the city and county, and the insurance company all said "you don't need flood insurance..."

As it stands now, here is a partial list of items that WERE NOT covered on our home policy - but would have been covered "IF" we would have had the flood insurance.

For a 1,600 sq ft home:

New sheetrock throughout
New insulation throughout
New wood floors (but changed to tile and Hardi-Backer over the sub-floor now)
New electrical throughout including new main panel and sub-panel, all outlets, new wiring throughout (copper and saltwater don't mix well)
New central A/C - both inside and outside units (same situation with salt water)
Float sheetrock throughout (those who do it well should be called "artists"!!)
New washer and dryer (saltwater)
New range (saltwater)
New kitchen cabinets (HUGE EXPENSE!!!!!!)
New bath vanities
New dishwasher (yep, saltwater to it too)
New compressor fans in two refrigerators
New doors throughout - including three entry doors (ouch!!)
And the list goes on with items like screws, nails, and thousands of other essentials that are necessary with a major rebuild.

And this list doesn't include ALL of the tools I lost in the workshop. Everything from a radial arm saw to a hack saw went under - all with no insurance coverage... :(

Fortunately, I have the skills and handled the labor, painting, and installation myself on everything EXCEPT floating and texturing the sheetrock. That little job was $3,500 just to do the finish!! Now, after 6+ months of full timing it on the house, I will be done - DONE!! - and on my way to sunny Florida no later than May 8. Gonna rent this place and take a much-needed hiatus to paradise!! :D :D :D

Hurricanes don't hit the Tampa/St. Pete area, right... 8-) 8-)
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#18 Postby Dionne » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:43 am

We have decided not to even stay in this region if another monster storm enters the northern GOM. We have cussed, discussed and re-cussed what happened last year. We can find no reasonable excuse to remain. We have 2 nice homes in southern Mississippi, both sustained damage and have been repaired. Oddly enough, they are worth alot more money now than before the storm. We're beginning to wonder if we shouldn't just up and leave now......ambient temps already in the 90's......there is a drought going on.....SST's are already in the mid 80's in the central GOM. And every damned morning I wake up to the same thing. Another day of hurricane damage repairs.

I'm starting to feel like Bill Murray in the movie "Ground Hog Day".............
0 likes   

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby Ixolib » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:21 am

Dionne wrote:We have decided not to even stay in this region if another monster storm enters the northern GOM. We have cussed, discussed and re-cussed what happened last year. We can find no reasonable excuse to remain. We have 2 nice homes in southern Mississippi, both sustained damage and have been repaired. Oddly enough, they are worth alot more money now than before the storm. We're beginning to wonder if we shouldn't just up and leave now......ambient temps already in the 90's......there is a drought going on.....SST's are already in the mid 80's in the central GOM. And every damned morning I wake up to the same thing. Another day of hurricane damage repairs.

I'm starting to feel like Bill Murray in the movie "Ground Hog Day".............

Lots of great insight in this post :uarrow: :uarrow: ... For instance:

We have cussed, discussed and re-cussed what happened last year. (Heard Dat!!)

Oddly enough, they are worth alot more money now than before the storm. (Yes, strangest thing I've ever seen!!! Same here in Biloxi)

And every damned morning I wake up to the same thing. Another day of hurricane damage repairs. (Yep - you're singing my song there!! Will it ever end.............)

I'm starting to feel like Bill Murray in the movie "Ground Hog Day"............. (AMEN TO THAT!!!!!)
0 likes   

zoeyann
Category 2
Category 2

#20 Postby zoeyann » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:34 pm

jusforsean, great idea. I never thought about writing my number on them.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”