Possible h-header solution for old panels

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

Possible h-header solution for old panels

#1 Postby DanKellFla » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:44 pm

I have 10 year old storm panels (20 gague aluminum/steel alloy) that are only 1.5 inches deep. The current code is 2.0 inches. I want to change my mounting system to h headers and f tracks. But, nobody has the old style h headers, probably because they are not approved anymore. So, I think I have figured out a solution. I am going to get the 2 inch h headers and rivet a half in aluminum L bracket to take up the space. What do you think? Then, I can put my panels up without using a ladder! That should save me a lot of time.
I have pretty much blown my hurricane budget this year, so I don't think I will be getting around to that task until after this season ends.
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby DanKellFla » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:01 pm

FYI, I started doing this. It works fine.
0 likes   

Strings
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#3 Postby Strings » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:47 am

Great idea! The newer h-headers are about 2" high as well as 2" deep... I'm wondering how high on the outer vertical wall you mounted the L-bracket?

Do I understand that only a thin edge of the L-bracket contacts and restrains the panels?

What kind of riveting system did you use?

Thanks in advance.

PS: In the last week I saw some older style 1.5" deep panels for sale at Home Depot on Copans Rd. @ I-95 in Pompano Beach, FL... IIRC they might've been etched/stamped as being FL Bldg. Code Approved. They had the stitch-bolt holes midway up the edge channels. I guess the newer 2" panels don't need those.
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby DanKellFla » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:47 pm

Great idea! The newer h-headers are about 2" high as well as 2" deep... I'm wondering how high on the outer vertical wall you mounted the L-bracket?

I already have panels, so I just mounted the L-brackets to fit the panels. I moved one bracket down a bit because my wood trim on my roof didn't allow access with my hammer drill.

Do I understand that only a thin edge of the L-bracket contacts and restrains the panels?

Yes. In reality, the depth is not 1.5 inches. Because the L bracket is 1/8th of an inch thick, the gap is reduced by that amount. Sometimes when I install a panel, it get hung up on the L-bracket, but a little wiggle gets it past. The end result is a small amount of compression on the top.

What kind of riveting system did you use?
I ended up using 1/4inch machine screws. Very cheap, so I can use plenty. My walls are stucco and the small round head doesn't seem to be a problem. It will also prevent (or so I think) the screws from backing out.

PS: In the last week I saw some older style 1.5" deep panels for sale at Home Depot on Copans Rd. @ I-95 in Pompano Beach, FL... IIRC they might've been etched/stamped as being FL Bldg. Code Approved. They had the stitch-bolt holes midway up the edge channels. I guess the newer 2" panels don't need those.

Now you tell me. Everybody I asked told me that all that was no longer to code and illeagal to sell.
0 likes   

Strings
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#5 Postby Strings » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:24 pm

DanKellFla wrote:
I already have panels, so I just mounted the L-brackets to fit the panels. I moved one bracket down a bit because my wood trim on my roof didn't allow access with my hammer drill.

So you added the L-bracket to the h-header AFTER the header was mounted, or before, or... in mid-air?... I'm lost.

Yes. In reality, the depth is not 1.5 inches. Because the L bracket is 1/8th of an inch thick, the gap is reduced by that amount. Sometimes when I install a panel, it get hung up on the L-bracket, but a little wiggle gets it past. The end result is a small amount of compression on the top.

I'm MORE lost... you need 1/2" fill but only got 1/8"...? No, that can't be it.

I ended up using 1/4inch machine screws. Very cheap, so I can use plenty. My walls are stucco and the small round head doesn't seem to be a problem. It will also prevent (or so I think) the screws from backing out.

So you attached the L-bracket to the REAR surface of the h-header, the side that mounts to the wall...? I'm reeling!... getting dizzy... fer jiminy's sake, PLEASE post a photo!... :wink:

PS: In the last week I saw some older style 1.5" deep panels for sale at Home Depot on Copans Rd. @ I-95 in Pompano Beach, FL...

Now you tell me. Everybody I asked told me that all that was no longer to code and illeagal to sell.

I guess both Lowe's and Home Depot think they have enough lawyers and $$ to ignore all laws and codes. Back in late May, during the tax holiday, Lowe's was selling thin 24 gauge steel panels--in Broward and Dade--that were only FBC, not Miami-Dade approved.

Home Depot was selling sturdier 20 ga. steel panels, which they HINTED (PRINTED?) were Miami-Dade approved, but that's not stamped anywhere ON the panels. Other mfrs have gotten 20 ga. panels approved by Miami-Dade, but you have to submit your product before you can get approved.

I was surprised to see the 1.5" panels there too. Their folds are not as sharp as the 2" types... not sure how that effects relative strength. But 1.5 inchers are fine. I know several folks whose 1.5 inchers held up fine to Jeanne and Wilma, even taking some hits from clay roof tiles and fence lumber. :eek:
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby DanKellFla » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:29 am

Strings, Isn't it funny how questions get answered sometimes. :D
I add the L-Bracket as it was floating in mid-air via a supercooled electro-magnet that I bought from Wille. E. Coyote industries. But seriously,

I added the bracket before I mounted it to the wall. The L-bracket located inside the h-header channel and the bottom. I will try to post a picture.

I'm MORE lost... you need 1/2" fill but only got 1/8"...? No, that can't be it.

I had a feeling that would be confusing. Visualize an L bracket. There are two ways to measure the width. It can be measure from the outside -->L or the inside L<-- of the L. From the inside, the L is 1/2 inch. From the outside, it is 1/2 inch plus 1/8inch. That is the thickness of the aluminum.

So you attached the L-bracket to the REAR surface of the h-header, the side that mounts to the wall...? I'm reeling!... getting dizzy... fer jiminy's sake, PLEASE post a photo!...

That's it.

Now, if I could only fall back asleep. :cry:
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”