Frugal Disaster Preparedness

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

terstorm1012
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Frugal Disaster Preparedness

#1 Postby terstorm1012 » Mon May 15, 2006 10:46 pm

I found this article for those who may be on limited budgets.

http://frugalliving.about.com/od/emerge ... r.htm?nl=1
0 likes   

HurriCat

#2 Postby HurriCat » Wed May 31, 2006 2:21 am

Good Article!

This only supports the notion that you can be self-reliant at any level of income. I have edited this post down, but it is always irritating when grown men and women cry that they just "can't" fend for themselves. It is extra-irritating when they have a bunch of kids depending on them.
Last edited by HurriCat on Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#3 Postby GalvestonDuck » Wed May 31, 2006 5:17 am

Frugality does not mean someone is too broke to prepare.
0 likes   

JuliannaMKH
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#4 Postby JuliannaMKH » Wed May 31, 2006 3:08 pm

You're absolutely correct, GalvestonDuck. Frugal is defined as economical or avoiding waste.
0 likes   

bevgo
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby bevgo » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:12 am

do9nt buy batteries from the dollar store. They don't last long at all and end up being a waste of $$$$$$
0 likes   

HurriCat

#6 Postby HurriCat » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:53 am

I think that one of the biggest, most wasteful and polluting things going are those "regular" batteries. The older, non-alkaline types you can get like twenty for a buck or something. They last a short time or are DOA out of the package. Whee! off to the landfill - or, like around here - tossed out the car window. :(
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

Frugal Preparation....

#7 Postby Persepone » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:53 am

JuliannaMKH wrote:You're absolutely correct, GalvestonDuck. Frugal is defined as economical or avoiding waste.

In many cases, it seems that preparation is, in itself, "frugal." In the end, all preparations you can make that avoid or minimize damage, prevent having to pay "extra" for necessities, etc. are "frugal."

Working from a well-thought-out list rather than buying stuff willy-nilly right before a storm is "frugal" because you can buy stuff on sale, buy it at tag sales (garage sales, estate sales, etc.), and buy only items that are relevant for you and for your family.

Buying, precutting and prefitting your window protection and making sure you have all the bolts or whatever you need to put up your system is, in the end, "frugal." With luck you can even get "free" plywood, etc. (if that is what you use) when others toss it out. You'd be amazed at how much lumber people toss out that there is nothing wrong with...

I like the "be constantly prepared" approach to disaster preparedness precisely because it is "frugal." Yes, it may take you "years" to collect your supplies--but also you can "upgrade" over the years and pass on stuff to those who need it (e.g., your children, etc.)

In the end, there are a bunch of things you can to do minimize damage or avoid damage or increase your comfort during emergencies and they generally require preplanning or some relatively minor actions rather than massive outlays of cash, etc.

If you read through this board, you'll find all sorts of suggestions for increasing comfort, security, and just plain making the best of a bad situation that don't cost much (if any) money at all (e.g., going to the public library before a storm and getting some stuff to read for yourself/children so that you can hunker down (home or shelter) and avoid total boredom and live in a world with no TV... ) While this does not help if it is a major catastrophe, statistically, I think, most are not--and the difference between major misery and less misery seems to be planning and some provisioning. A fold up sterno stove, a couple of cans of sterno, an old-fashioned coffee pot to put on the sterno stove, and some coffee and bottled water to make the coffee sure makes morning easier, for example. And don't forget the matches to light the sterno. A gas camping stove works fine, too, if you have one. Buy the coffee pot at a tag sale, the sterno stove in camping supply at K-Mart, Wal-Mart, etc. (and the sterno also--or find it at the grocery store). Having all the laundry done before the storm means less misery. Having "emergency food" that your family actually likes to eat, that does not require refrigeration, etc. requires some thinking--but you can come up with a good list for this stuff if you spend some time on it (and don't forget that you need a manual can opener ).

Preparedness is, ultimately, the frugal thing to do. If you bring in all your moveables out of your yard, and your neighbors do the same (even if you have to help them move their stuff, do it, as it will keep it from blowing into yours), keep your trees trimmed so the air blows through them, and do some other stuff like that, you may be able to avoid insurance claims--ultimately much cheaper than collecting on your insurance...

There are, by the way, recommendations for preparedness that are impractical because of laws--and I'd recommend that people all complain to their congressmen/women, insurance companies, mayors, governors, etc. One is that the recommendation to have your necessary medicines on your person before a storm. The insurance companies won't let you fill that prescription even 24 hours ahead of time! That is totally stupid! I think anyone on regular medication should be able to keep an emergency supply on hand!!! And they should be able to do so with cooperation of their doctors, their insurance company, etc. (Note: some doctors will find a way to get you that "buffer" prescription and get it paid for--so check with your doctor)... But the law should allow people to fill prescriptions for stuff like blood pressure medications, etc. in such a way as to have a two-week "forward" supply always on hand for emergencies.... In the end, that is the "frugal" approach because it means not having the expensive trips to the ER, etc. If enough people make enough of a stink about these stupid practices, then the rules will change!!!
0 likes   

olddude
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8 Postby olddude » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:17 pm

Very well written, Persepone. Preparedness has been an ongoing adventure for me and my family for the past 7 years or so. It started with just saving change throughout the year to offset storm supplies in season. Our preps have grown to a level being totally self reliant for a month and food for several months. Cash is put back to ease evacuation to the point of just handing an envelope to my family and telling them to go visit Gramdma for a while. Makes getting them out of harms way a breeze.
Scott
0 likes   

Diva
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby Diva » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:09 pm

I'm an avid couponer. I've used my couponing to stockpile tons of things, including preparedness supplies. Last August when Katrina evacuees were sheltering in our area, I was able to use a large chunk of my stockpile to donate to the local shelters to help them out. Nothing like handing a tube of toothpaste and a toothbrush to a man who hadn't been able to brush his teeth in days!
Little did I know that one month later, I'd be using more of my stockpile for my own family during Rita!

Couponing is the only way I have been able to stockpile to the extent that I have. It allows me to get things for cheap or free. How many other people can say that they have 30 toothbrushes, 20 tubes of toothpaste, 20 bottles of shampoo, a pantry full of canned goods and many, many other things for literally pennies on the dollar! My favorite coupon right now is "Buy two 8 packs of Ray-O-Vac batteries and get FREE bottled water up to $3.00". That way, I can stock up on batteries and bottled water at the same time. The extra savings key is to find a great deal on the batteries which makes the deal even sweeter.

If I can build a preparedness stockpile as a stay-at-home mom of two school aged kiddos, anybody can!
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby angelwing » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:20 pm

Diva wrote:
. How many other people can say that they have 30 toothbrushes, 20 tubes of toothpaste, 20 bottles of shampoo, a pantry full of canned goods and many, many other things for literally pennies on the dollar!

My girlfriend with her cellar full of stuff that she has from the 2000 PC panic :lol:
0 likes   

NFLDART
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#11 Postby NFLDART » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:45 pm

We are well stocked indeed and did it over time. Each week a little more.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”