I Do This Every Cane Season

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Janice
Category 5
Category 5

I Do This Every Cane Season

#1 Postby Janice » Tue May 23, 2006 7:55 am

If you have room in your freezer, this is handy. I fill about 20 gallon freezer bags with water and freeze them. They turn into a big block of ice. If the electricity goes out, I take one out at night, put in a pan and it is thawed in the morning for coffee, etc.

I also have been filling gallon bags with ice cubes from my icemaker.

This way, you have plenty of water and ice on hand.
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby DanKellFla » Tue May 23, 2006 6:04 pm

I do something similar. I fill 1 gallon jugs about 80% full of water and freeze them. As the melt, I have cold water and they keep my fridge cold for about 3 days. My freezer will stay colder longer if I keep it closed. My cube freezer will stay frozen for 5 days.
0 likes   

SeaBrz_FL
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby SeaBrz_FL » Tue May 23, 2006 6:29 pm

Great reminder, Janice. I actually just thawed and tossed out my gallon milk jugs that have been filled with water and frozen since early 2004. Not sure if the plastic leaches anything over time, but drinking 2+ year old water didn't seem very appealing. :) Time to save some new ones and start over, and the freezer bags sound like a good solution, too.
0 likes   
Donna/WPB 1960 - terrorized for life :-). Fourth of six generations living on the FL East Coast since the 50's.

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby DanKellFla » Tue May 23, 2006 7:39 pm

Yes, the plastic leaches. Slower when the water is frozen.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”