Perry at Texas Hurricane Conference: We are Better Prepared

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Perry at Texas Hurricane Conference: We are Better Prepared

#1 Postby southerngale » Wed May 24, 2006 4:29 pm

I think all Texans might want to read this.

BEAUMONT – Gov. Rick Perry today thanked the 1,300 attendees at the Texas Hurricane Conference for their work during last year’s devastating hurricane season, and praised local and state progress in preparing for what is predicted to be another busy hurricane season. The annual conference brought together state and local emergency response personnel to discuss progress Texas has made in hurricane preparedness as a result of lessons learned during hurricanes Katrina and Rita, and ways to further improve preparedness for future storms.

“That entire period of time from late August until late September was one of the most difficult periods of time this state has ever endured. And yet it was also our finest hour,” Perry said. “And the reason is because of the leadership, the courage, and the compassion of the men and women in this room. Emergency response personnel, local elected officials, and concerned, everyday citizens made me so proud to be governor of the greatest state in the union.”

Perry reminded attendees that some of the first rescue workers on the ground in New Orleans when Katrina struck were the search and rescue personnel of Texas Task Force One.

“As people fled Louisiana, thousands poured across our border and found refuge right here in Southeast Texas. You opened your homes, your businesses and your houses of worship to give them a place to rest and a warm meal. And before coastal Texans could even catch their breath, you learned about a category five hurricane brewing in the gulf, heading anywhere from Corpus Christi to the Louisiana line. And you did it all over again, stretching your capacity to move millions of people out of Rita’s way,” Perry said.

The damage from Hurricane Rita totaled billions of dollars and destroyed or damaged 75,000 homes, yet the storm is often referred to as “the forgotten hurricane” because the federal government has fallen well short of recovery assistance promised to Texas. Perry traveled to Washington in March to press the U.S. Senate Appropriations committee to provide more than $2 billion in funding to help Texas recover from hurricanes Katrina and Rita, and challenge the federal government to make good on promises made to Texas.

“The federal bureaucracy has treated Southeast Texans as lesser citizens. Mother Nature treated Rita victims on both sides of the Texas-Louisiana border with equal wrath, and the federal government should treat Rita victims in both states with equal compassion and equal assistance,” Perry said.

Perry said despite being shortchanged by the federal government last year, the state remains focused on being as prepared as possible for the upcoming hurricane season, which starts June 1. “Rita exposed flaws in our own planning that we are working to rectify, with the next hurricane season just one week away,” Perry said.
Last fall, Perry appointed the Task Force on Evacuation, Transportation and Logistics to take testimony from local officials, emergency response personnel, and citizens on lessons learned from Hurricane Rita. In March, Perry issued an executive order implementing the task force recommendations that did not require legislative approval. The executive order focused on five key areas: the evacuation of people with special needs; command, control and communications; traffic management; fuel availability; and public awareness.
Perry’s executive order directed the Texas Department of Transportation to work with the private sector on plans to better manage traffic flow and fuel supplies in evacuation areas and along major evacuation routes.

“Let me say something about evacuation gridlock: there is no magic formula to end all traffic gridlock during an evacuation. The fact is there is no magic formula to end gridlock in Houston on an average workday, let alone when a couple million people or more head for the highways within a few hours of each other,” Perry said. “Our aim is to make the situation better with spaced out fuel stations and aid stations.”

Perry also called for regional uniform command structures in the state’s 24 planning regions to coordinate disaster preparations and response.

“The reason I asked for one person to serve as a regional unified commander was not to create division among different elected officials, but because I do not believe life and death decisions which should be made in a matter of minutes are best made by committees,” Perry said. “Hurricanes cross jurisdictional boundaries. That’s why it is important for the state to have a greater coordinating role, and for local implementation to occur under a regional command structure as the report recommends.”

The state has also focused on improved planning to evacuate Texans with special needs – including the elderly and disabled, as well as those who simply do not have a ride to safety – and their pets.

“Keeping track of and mobilizing to safety our special needs population is an immense task that requires detailed coordination for a population that not only includes those in nursing homes and hospitals, but the indigent without transportation, and those without homes,” Perry said. “In Texas, where your dog is as prized a possession as your pick-up truck, it should come as no surprise that many Texans chose to ride out the storm rather than separate from their pets. This is another important aspect of our special needs plan.”

“No hurricane response plan can anticipate every eventuality because reality always throws curve balls that even the best simulation models will miss from time to time. But I do believe, because of your work and expertise, that we are better prepared today to effectively respond to a hurricane than we were one year ago today,” Perry said. “The fact is, we have to be, and Texans will expect nothing less.”

http://www.kfdm.com/engine.pl?station=k ... local.html
0 likes   

Stormtrack
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2 Postby Stormtrack » Tue May 30, 2006 9:38 am

No matter how politicians try to spin it, last years evacuation was a disaster. People died evacuating who should not have. The state had a bad plan which was made worse by the fact that officials did not follow it anyway. I'll never evacuate on the Beltway again- 12 hours to go 18 miles. I could have walked it in a lot less time and we were having the hottest weather of the entire year and were affraid to use AC because of the gasoline situation. It will be backroads for us if we have to evacuate this year.
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#3 Postby GalvestonDuck » Tue May 30, 2006 9:55 am

IMO, the TxDOT and Harris County law enforcement on Houston roads made it a disaster. Galveston County's part of the evacuation (especially the island) was smooth. If only the rest of it had gone as well.
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#4 Postby jasons2k » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:50 pm

I somewhat agree, it should have been smoother. BUT, I will say this, at the Houston Hurricane conference they discussed the number of people leaving town last year - a couple million. Now, the freeways in Houston are what - 3-5 lanes on each side. Each lane can allow up to something like 2,000 cars an hour of regular use. Now, when you leave town, ALL the freeways become 2 lanes on each side. With I-10 W, 290W, 45N, and 59N, that adds up to 8 - only eight - lanes of outbound traffic on the freeways. That's down from something like 20+ outbound lanes in the city. Do the math - not matter how good the plan is, it's almost impossible to evacuate that many people in a tight timeframe. PLUS, everyone last year left at once.
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#5 Postby GalvestonDuck » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:05 am

jschlitz wrote:I somewhat agree, it should have been smoother. BUT, I will say this, at the Houston Hurricane conference they discussed the number of people leaving town last year - a couple million. Now, the freeways in Houston are what - 3-5 lanes on each side. Each lane can allow up to something like 2,000 cars an hour of regular use. Now, when you leave town, ALL the freeways become 2 lanes on each side. With I-10 W, 290W, 45N, and 59N, that adds up to 8 - only eight - lanes of outbound traffic on the freeways. That's down from something like 20+ outbound lanes in the city. Do the math - not matter how good the plan is, it's almost impossible to evacuate that many people in a tight timeframe. PLUS, everyone last year left at once.

Plus, wasn't it determined that some who left didn't need to (or earlier than they needed to)? Obviously, islanders should (and did) leave, along with anyone in low-lying and coastal areas, including those close to the Bay. And many couples took separate vehicles, thus increasing the amount of traffic on the roads. (Probably some Galvestonians were guilty of that also.)
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#6 Postby jasons2k » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:38 am

GalvestonDuck wrote:
jschlitz wrote:I somewhat agree, it should have been smoother. BUT, I will say this, at the Houston Hurricane conference they discussed the number of people leaving town last year - a couple million. Now, the freeways in Houston are what - 3-5 lanes on each side. Each lane can allow up to something like 2,000 cars an hour of regular use. Now, when you leave town, ALL the freeways become 2 lanes on each side. With I-10 W, 290W, 45N, and 59N, that adds up to 8 - only eight - lanes of outbound traffic on the freeways. That's down from something like 20+ outbound lanes in the city. Do the math - not matter how good the plan is, it's almost impossible to evacuate that many people in a tight timeframe. PLUS, everyone last year left at once.

Plus, wasn't it determined that some who left didn't need to (or earlier than they needed to)? Obviously, islanders should (and did) leave, along with anyone in low-lying and coastal areas, including those close to the Bay. And many couples took separate vehicles, thus increasing the amount of traffic on the roads. (Probably some Galvestonians were guilty of that also.)

Yes, you are exactly right. This was also discussed at the conference. Bascially, what happened last year was almost a freak occurance. People were panicked after just seeing Katrina.

They did not follow instructions and leave at their zone's designated time. Everyone left at once, often in multiple vehicles for a family, and over half were not even in an evacuation zone. Simply put by some officials - when people react in a panic like that, and don't follow instructions - it stresses the system beyond what's manageable.

They also talked a lot about contraflow. There was a lot of complaining last year about why they didn't implement contraflow sooner. Several reasons. The key to understanding contraflow is that - yes - it can have its benefits - but contraflow comes at a price. For one thing, it has to unwind somewhere. When contraflow ends, you have to get all those cars back into the outbound-only lanes. Essentially, all this does is just move the traffic jam upstream. Second, it requires a HUGE amount of manpower. Troopers have to be located at every single exit to make sure nobody enters a reversed lane going the wrong direction. Third - by shutting-down the inbound lanes, you prevent emergency services from getting to places like Galveston. They told us that there were a number (I don't have the exact number...) of people who had been identified as "special needs" that would need to be evacuated by ambulance. The problem is that there were 6 times as many people with those needs as there were ambulances available to do it. In essence, it would require every ambulance to make 6 round trips to evacuate these people. That can't be accomplished once contraflow is implemented. So, in summary, Texas made a conscious decision years ago to NOT implement contraflow for emergencies. When Rita came last year, the effort to implement contraflow was a spur-of-the-moment decision made to alleviate a very desparate situation.

At first last year, I was outright angry at how the traffic disaster unfolded. But the more details I have learned about last year - the more I am amazed that the utter he** people went through only lasted for a day. I am amazed that how in a matter of hours the state implemented contraflow - even though a plan wasn't even on the books - got the traffic moving, and sent out an army of fuel trucks to get people on their way. By Friday, the roads out of Houston were deserted. Given the circumstances of having at least an extra million people leaving who weren't even supposed to (or expected to) - I think they did an amazing job of reacting and solving it quickly.
0 likes   

Texmedic
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#7 Postby Texmedic » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:24 am

As much as I hate to say it, Perry is wrong. Texas is not more PREPARED, we just have a better plan now than we did before. I guess something is better than nothing though. I would change my opinion of this situation if someone could show me where all of the pre-positioned supplies and equipment were, where the fuel stocks and food were. Maybe I am misinformed, but I don't think any of this has happened. I could not agree more about the 1+ million people that vacated the city of Houston and the surrounding area that really didn't need to. Panic breeds stupidity and vice versa. On a positive note, I have noticed people buying water and canned goods over the past several weeks at the area stores. Kroger has been running a $3.99 deal for a case of water and the stacks always seem to go fast. Maybe some folks are taking responsibility for themselves for a change. I don't mean to sound angry and bitter towards this situation, I just wish the government of Texas would wake up and realize that we live on the Gulf Coast, and that this is not a drill or "pretend". Too many drills are not taken seriously until after the fact...

R
0 likes   

Stormtrack
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8 Postby Stormtrack » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:43 pm

I suspect that for many people in the immediate Houston area, the memory of Allison may have been a more motivating factor for them evacuating than seeing the Katrina coverage. Hopefully Houston will never see another flood like that!
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”