Chronic Illness and Preparadeness

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

JuliannaMKH
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Chronic Illness and Preparadeness

#1 Postby JuliannaMKH » Wed May 31, 2006 3:28 pm

Does anyone have any good tips on how to manage chronic illness like diabetes during a hurricane situation? I thought it might be good to discuss and share tips since I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has to deal with this. I'm not insulin dependent, but I'm sure that's a concern for those who are. How much medication needs to be kept on hand and when should it be procured?
So, I didn't see this topic anywhere and I thought I'd start one. :lol:
0 likes   

JuliannaMKH
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#2 Postby JuliannaMKH » Wed May 31, 2006 4:06 pm

0 likes   

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby beachbum_al » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:22 am

My husband is diabetic and is not dependent on insulin either. He does take medicine. We make sure that he has plenty of medicines and supplies for the meter that he uses to check is blood. Also check with your local hospital to see if they have supplies if emergency happens. Make sure you have a tag or bracelet that alerts people that you are diabetic in case something happens and you can't tell them.
0 likes   

bevgo
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby bevgo » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:37 am

Have enough medication handy for at least 2 weeks. If you are diabetic have testing supplies handy also. Check blood sugar frequently since hurricane food is not exactly a balanced diet and not wanting to eat or the types of food available may affect your blood sugar. If you are on insulin, check frequently and have insulin and syringes or pen needles also. Be aware that you may have problems getting supplies after a storm because your pharmacy will probably be closed. Keep hard candy available. Taking your medication may drop your sugar if you do not have access to the correct foods. High blood sugar kills you slowly but low blood sugar kills you quickly. Better to be a little high than too low. Low blood sugar can kill brain cells.
0 likes   

Alladin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5 Postby Alladin » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:15 pm

I've been an insulin dependant diabetic since 1958. I also take high blood pressure medication. I have enough medication in my home to go for a year without ever visiting the pharmacy. I have 5 blood glucose meters and enough test strips to test 5 times per day for a year (about 2,000 strips). Same is true for lancets, syringes, needles and all the other devices needed for control. I also keep lots of candy around to combat hypoglycemia when needed. I have always kept my A1c in the range of 6.
0 likes   

bevgo
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby bevgo » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:17 pm

Great that you are able to do this. That kind of prep could get very expensive though.
0 likes   

Alladin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#7 Postby Alladin » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:26 pm

bevgo wrote:Great that you are able to do this. That kind of prep could get very expensive though.
Which is more important, my money or my life?
0 likes   

george_r_1961
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby george_r_1961 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:52 pm

Good points here. Another thing to keep in mind: Do not assume shelters are staffed with medically trained people because most likely they arent. If u are an unstable diabetic or have heart issues best get FAR FAR away from the storms path if possible unless there is a "special needs" shelter in your area. The evacuation itself can be VERY stressful too. The person should be accompanied by a family member or friend familiar with the persons medical condition and capable of reacting in an emergency. It would be a great idea for the friend/family member to know the location of all the emergency faclilities at and enroute to the evacuation site. Of course...TAKE ALL MEDS WITH YOU AND SAFEGUARD THEM.
0 likes   

Alladin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#9 Postby Alladin » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:47 pm

Hurricanes are very stressful events. It doesn't matter if you shelter in place or evacuate, you're going to be under a lot of stress. When I was younger, big hurricanes didn't bother me too much. Heck, we sheltered in place for Andrew in Homestead, FL and came through that one just fine.

However, now that I've gotten a little older (and hopefully wiser), I found that both hurricanes Ivan and Dennis stressed me out a lot. The night before Dennis hit, I went to the local hospital ER because I thought I might be having a heart attack (I had one in 2004). The attending physician checked me over and found nothing. When he realized the problem was anxiety about the impending storm, he gave me some Lorazepam and I calmed right down.

We sheltered in place for both storms. During Ivan the anxiety I felt was overwhelming. My rational decision making abilities were impaired. I was in a state of hurricane shock. Before Dennis, the same thing started to happen and that's why I went to the ER. The Lorazepam clamed me down and allowed to use my normal rational and analytical thought process to get through and recover from the storm. I only needed one 0.5 mg pill to get me through the storm.

The next time I saw my regular doctor, I told him about my hurricane anxiety. He too lived through Ivan and Dennis (during Ivan his house was destroyed) so he truly understood. He's been my doctor for about 20 years now. So, he gave me a prescription for Lorazepam (0.5 mg) just in case. That bottle of pills is in my hurricane kit in preparation for the next big storm. Lorazepam is for me, just as important as my hurricane shutters!
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”