Installing plywood shutters on vinyl siding

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

lancer1991
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Installing plywood shutters on vinyl siding

#1 Postby lancer1991 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:28 pm

Trying to figure out the best way to install plywood shutters on a house with vinyl siding and vinyl windows. I've found these brass 1/4x20 bushings that I can permanently install in the wall and just put up the panel and run a machine screw through it. Has anyone tried these?

My concern is they are only 1/4 to 3/8" long and not sure how strong they'll be at that depth. I don't like the idea of having hanger bolts permanently sticking out of my wall. With these I can can try to find a cap to insert in the open end that will blend a little better with the siding. Also, I have 2 windows on the front of the house that have vinyl fake shutters and anything protruding out wouldn't allow me to put them back up after the storm.

Also, if anyone has used these, is there a better way to install than with a regular (flat head) screw driver?
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#2 Postby Dionne » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:43 am

1/4 to 3/8 penetration is NOT enough. You need at least and 1 1/2 inches......minimum. Suggest you look into Tap-Con or Deckmate screws. Go with 2 1/2 inch screws.

Both of these products have coated screws. You can put the screw back into the bushing while not in use without concern of corrosion.

The Tap-Con is generally used into concrete, although it is suitable for various uses......the good deal here is that the correct bushing comes with the screw.

Deckmate screws are very strong and affordable.....about $5 per pound. Although you must decide the correct bushing diameter.

Remember that the bushing will be the weakest point in the application.

In some circumstances....as we have witnessed with Katrina....it won't matter how well your protection is fastened.
0 likes   

lancer1991
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#3 Postby lancer1991 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:58 pm

I grabbed the 1-1/2" sidewalk screws to go with the bushing (just checked the bushings and they are actually 9/16"). Have you ever seen other bushings? These are the only ones I've seen and I believe they are the same as on Hurricandepot.com. My major concern would be at 1/2" they are only going into the sheething of the home, which in my area isn't plywood, but OSB. I don't know if you could run them deeper and try and penetrate the jamb studs of the window rather than the sheething.
0 likes   

Tstormwatcher
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Tstormwatcher » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:40 pm

I also have vinyl siding and windows and my windows are flush with the siding. Is this the way yours are also lancer/
0 likes   

lancer1991
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#5 Postby lancer1991 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:06 pm

Tstormwatcher wrote:I also have vinyl siding and windows and my windows are flush with the siding. Is this the way yours are also lancer/

My windows are actually out a little from the siding. Probably stick about 1/2" out from the face of the siding "J" trim, so it could actually be almost 1" from the face of the window to the low point of the siding or sheathing.
0 likes   

lancer1991
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#6 Postby lancer1991 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:57 am

Just did a little digging around and looks like the female PanelMates may be what I'm looking for. I can counterbore to get the head down and flush with the siding and run sidewalk screws into that. Has anyone tried these? Anyone know of a good supplier for some colored caps to go into the insert.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”