If you wanna help somebody now is the time.

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

If you wanna help somebody now is the time.

#1 Postby Aquawind » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:33 pm

Ask your neighbors if they have a plan and pass on some of the good information you have read here. Especially the elderly, poor, and newcomers. Ask about their pets and plans. Medication? Children? Where are they going and contact information.

Help them now so you don't have to post storm...
0 likes   

NativeFloridaGirl
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby NativeFloridaGirl » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:55 pm

Two weeks ago my company closed a house with a family from Boston. As I was conducting the walk-thru inspection they asked what the pile of metal things were in the garage. I explaiend they were storm shutters and in the middle of the explanation the wife wanted to know if they had to keep them because they "cluttered" up the garage. In my closing package I also had enclosed a hurricane preparedness guide since I knew they had never been through a storm season. The wife said she thought people were making a big deal out of nothing and it couldnt be worse than a blizzard. I figure I have a clear conscience, because I tried. You can bring a horse to water but you can't make him understand the beauty of batteries and canned goods. :roll:

Beth
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Aquawind » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:27 pm

Holy Cow.. Talk about clueless... :roll:
0 likes   

Cookiely
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Cookiely » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:48 am

Did they not have a TV and see the results of Katrina? Were they living in a hole in the ground and out of communication with the rest of the world?
0 likes   

NativeFloridaGirl
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby NativeFloridaGirl » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:42 pm

I think they have the "It can't happen to me" attitude that gets people hurt. It's disheartening, but I tried my best.

Beth
0 likes   

timNms
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby timNms » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:29 am

NativeFloridaGirl wrote:Two weeks ago my company closed a house with a family from Boston. As I was conducting the walk-thru inspection they asked what the pile of metal things were in the garage. I explaiend they were storm shutters and in the middle of the explanation the wife wanted to know if they had to keep them because they "cluttered" up the garage. In my closing package I also had enclosed a hurricane preparedness guide since I knew they had never been through a storm season. The wife said she thought people were making a big deal out of nothing and it couldnt be worse than a blizzard. I figure I have a clear conscience, because I tried. You can bring a horse to water but you can't make him understand the beauty of batteries and canned goods. :roll:

Beth

Unfortunately for some, experience is the best teacher. However, sometimes experience means losing more than material things. I certainly hope this couple never has to experience a hurricane, but odds are they will.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”